• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum

LunaSea

Hello All,

Yesterday I went to a local liquor store in South Miami and purchased a bottle of Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum for $70. Have any of you sipped any of this before? I haven't opened the bottle yet but will later today.

Here's what it says on the label:

"Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum has been a secret for generations enjoyed only by members of the family. Old Rum is created from the incomparable Bermuda blend that makes up the smooth, full flavor of Gosling's Black Seal Rum. The rum is left resting in the oak barrels where it is aged until it has acquired a luscious, well-balanced complexity, resuling in the finest of sipping rums. This rich, elegant Old Rum is created for the enjoyment of those who appreciate the finer things in life."

Jeez, if it wasn't so early in the morning I'd try it right now!!!! :raz:

If it's from Gosling's, it Should be Very Good Rum.

Let me know what you thing of the Family Reserve Old Rum, and if it's worth the extra Money compared to Gosling's Black Seal ?

I might have to add this to my Neat Collection, at $70 a bottle, I think I'll leave the Coke in the Fridge for this one. :wink:

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06

I bought a bottle of the Gosling's Old rum (and was lucky to only pay $59) and I truly don't think it's that much better than the Black Seal to warrant the extra $45.

Let us know what you think of the Old rum.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Gosling's Very Old Rum is a complex, slightly dry, smoky rum with lots of oak flavors running all the way through the finish. To me it is very different compared to Black Seal, though they do have similarities, but the Very Old Rum doesn't have the dark caramel coloring that has made Black Seal so popular.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Okay, I've tried it twice now and the jury is still out whether I like it or not. It does have a dry, smokey oak flavor that runs through the finish, like Ed pointed out. I'll give it another whirl in a couple of days and report back.