• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Japanese Dishes

As the subject line asks.

Do you do any really interesting things with silken tofu?

How about natto?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Jinmyo,

During my stay in Japan, I became a big fan of eating natto in the morning on rice with the standard egg yolk but, at Blue Hill we do not use it at all.

Do you have a good source for buying natto in New York?

Mike

No, I don't imagine that natto would be useful at Blue Hill. I have my doubts about using Japanese ingredients (except perhaps wasabi, shoyu, sake, and su) in Western cuisines unless it is done with the greatest of care. Japanese cuisine is water based rather than oil or butter based in terms of cooking methods and miso with butter alarms me.

I don't live in NYC (or even in the US) and so don't know where to buy natto there.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

:smile:

I love natto and think that if anyone could incorporate it thoughtfully and creatively with western cuisine it would be Dan and Michael!

Natto can be found in NYC at Sunrise Mart on the corner of 3rd and Ninth, as well as at Katagiri on 59th between 3rd and 2nd. As well as many other places.

Have you ever had grilled natto? It's actually quite good with Korean barbecue. You spread the natto out in a single layer and let it sear, quickly put it on a lettuce leaf with rice and add some beef if you like. It's lends the natto another level of depth. Sigh, I'm not allowed to do it at home anymore because my husband objects to the smell... Did I forget to mention? Cooking natto increases the smell about a hundred fold!

Akiko