• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Insatiable" by Gael Greene

Peter B Wolf

While the Forbes article focuses upon the more sensational aspects of Gael Greene's life as it appears in her new book, Insatiable, it should be recognized that her writing about food was most enlightening. To that end, here is an archive of her past food columns in New York Magazine for those of us who haven't read her work in the field:

New York Metro archives

It would be wonderful if this thread is more focused upon food rather than the titillating details of her life .. we are, after all, eGullet, the repository for all things connected with food.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

As a journalist myself, I just don't think writers should abuse their positions for sexual favors. I read some of GG's exercepts in New York Magazine, and in particular it seemed that Burt Reynolds was very aware that he should sexually satisfy Gael in order to get good press from her.

There is such an ewwwww factor here.

My only complaint is that she didn't sleep with the men I'm interested in knowing about. Who wants to know about Clint Eastwood and those guys? Tell me about Francois Truffaut. Still, the chef at Le Cirque? Think of the appetizers!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

The publisher and author think to themselves...what will sell more books, a memoir about food and writing or a memoir about sex, food and writing? That one is a no brainer. They increased their audience significantly by expanding, as it were. :raz:

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

• 2 months later...

I've read the book and found it interesting not for the sexual escapades which I couldn't care less about but it was interesting to go through the years with her as food changed in America. It reminded me that even things like risotto were not available (or of interest) in Chicago restaurants not so many years ago.