• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

how to store fresh cookies

jende

What's your favorite way to store home made cookies, or any baked good for that matter? I keep my fresh bread in a plastic ziploc bag on the counter and it seems to keep its texture this way (versus storing in the fridge). Is the same true for cookies, muffins, cake, etc.?

Different things require different kind of storage, and climate will affect it too.

Crisp/crunchy cookies should be in an airtight container. Don't put them in the fridge, because they'll soften in the fridge.

Soft cookies will be fine in ziploc, and cake can sit on the counter in a covered (doesn't need to be airtight) container for a few days if it's not too hot/humid.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I find cookies are best stored gastrointestinally :)

Incidentally, you shouldn't really store your bread in a sealed ziploc bag; it encourages mould and you tend to get flabby bread. An old-fashioned bread bin is a better bet.

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

Well said, Culinary Bear!!! :laugh:

That's a huge question, Jende. Here's a few storage thoughts for you.

To keep chewy cookies chewy store them tightly sealed with a piece of bread or several pieces. The bread will dry out and the cookies will absorb the moisture & stay chewy and become more chewy too in a good way. In fact sometimes I cut heart shapes out of the bread so when I store the cookies with the bread, it's not as scarry looking :rolleyes:

Umm, if I have a nice loaf of bread and there's too much quantity to eat right away I freeze it right away in portion sizes--wrapped securely in waxed paper then those packages into a plastic ziploc. I keep the fresh or subsequently thawed out pieces loosely wrapped so the crust doesn't go soft--opposite of the chewy cookie storage deal. When thawing, I will remove the waxed paper right away so the ice crystals cannot thaw & wet the surface of my yummy treat. Then just a few minutes at room temp & warm or toast in toaster if you want. And eat all you can before you turn 50 or be prepared to carry it around permanently :laugh:

Muffins yes in a plastic container if it's just a few days storage--then they need to be heated in a hot oven to restore the surface & soften the inside before serving.

Random storage thoughts...

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I agree with Culinary Bear, but my tight pants are suggesting that I might want to find an alternate storage method!

Thanks for everyone's tips.

Well said, Culinary Bear!!! :laugh:

That's a huge question, Jende. Here's a few storage thoughts for you.

To keep chewy cookies chewy store them tightly sealed with a piece of bread or several pieces. The bread will dry out and the cookies will absorb the moisture & stay chewy and become more chewy too in a good way. In fact sometimes I cut heart shapes out of the bread so when I store the cookies with the bread, it's not as scarry looking :rolleyes:

Umm, if I have a nice loaf of bread and there's too much quantity to eat right away I freeze it right away in portion sizes--wrapped securely in waxed paper then those packages into a plastic ziploc. I keep the fresh or subsequently thawed out pieces loosely wrapped so the crust doesn't go soft--opposite of the chewy cookie storage deal. When thawing, I will remove the waxed paper right away so the ice crystals cannot thaw & wet the surface of my yummy treat. Then just a few minutes at room temp & warm or toast in toaster if you want. And eat all you can before you turn 50 or be prepared to carry it around permanently :laugh:

Muffins yes in a plastic container if it's just a few days storage--then they need to be heated in a hot oven to restore the surface & soften the inside before serving.

Random storage thoughts...