• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inexpensive Eats in Soho

jwjojo

Funny you should ask. I was craving Japanese down there one day and just popped into a place I'd never heard of, and haven't heard of since (I even searched the archive): Nagomi, at 179 Prince St. I loved it--extremely fresh sushi with some pleasant and surprising preparations. I don't remember the details, because it was a few months ago, but I do remember this outrageously tasty spiced ice tea they gave me at the end of the meal!

Unfortunately I also don't remember the prices...Just how good it was.

Susan

After some thinking, one place that comes to mind is Il Corallo Trattoria, on Prince at Thompson, I think. It's a tiny little Italian place with pasta, an inexpensive wine list, and it's smack-dab in SoHo.

You might be better off heading south to Chinatown...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I'm always a fan of Bread and Snack (inexpensive, delicious Greek food).

Oooooh, Snack! Good point! Here's a link to their MenuPages listing, which shows their entire menu.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I have not been to this restaurant, but I have been to there other one uptown..A The place is called Ivo & Lulu...A great way to keep the cost down, its BYOB.. I have brought a bottle of scotch and beers to A.. The food is pretty good, the scene is young , not annoying though.. But its a cool idea.. The kitchen consists of a couple of convection ovens and a hot plate..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Hmm, that's a pretty tight budget esp for Soho. How about the counter at La Esquina for tacos and beers? You can watch and rate the no-reservation-having-B-listers sweet talk (or try to) their way into the not-so-secret basement dining room :wacko:

That wasn't chicken

Thank you for all your suggestions. We ended up at Il Corallo Trattoria on Prince Street, and it was a great choice. The pasta is fresh, huge menu to choose from, and it is quite decent...and cheap. Average 10 dollar entree. Really good Tiramisu for dessert. A little crowded, and a little loud, but aside from that, well worth it.