• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mall Eating in the Heartland . . .

Legacy Village a new upscale mall on Cleveland's east side has some very good dining options, many of hem with terraces for alfresco dining. :biggrin:

Last summer I had excellent lunches at both Brio Tuscan Grille and Stir Crazy.

Most of the other Cleveland malls have the typical food courts, but Golden Gate (a strip mall) has Otani's a good Japanese restaurant even though it is sandwiched between a Chuck E Cheese and TGIFriday's..... :hmmm:

1. Welcome torakris - and almost-happy b-day!

2. Is Stir Crazy a chain? I'm assuming it's an Asian-themed stir-fry restaurant?

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

2. Is Stir Crazy a chain?  I'm assuming it's an Asian-themed stir-fry restaurant?

Yes, we have them around here too -- one at Northbrook Court -- the mall I mentioned earlier. Decent stuff. I was addicted to their seared tuna salad for a while there a couple years back.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Legacy Village a new upscale mall on Cleveland's east side has some very good dining options, many of hem with terraces for alfresco dining. :biggrin:

Last summer I had excellent lunches at both Brio Tuscan Grille and Stir Crazy.

Most of the other Cleveland malls have the typical food courts, but Golden Gate (a strip mall) has Otani's a good Japanese restaurant even though it is sandwiched between a Chuck E Cheese and TGIFriday's..... :hmmm:

1. Welcome torakris - and almost-happy b-day!

2. Is Stir Crazy a chain? I'm assuming it's an Asian-themed stir-fry restaurant?

u.e.

Well thank you for the welcome.... :huh: and the birthday wishes. :biggrin:

Stir Crazy is a sort of Asian fusion kind of place, half of the menu is a create your own stirfy; you decide the ingredients, sauces, etc and they make it for you.

Like Ronnie said their seared tuna salad is very good, it was probably my favorite dish as well.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I must put in a good word for Braxton's Seafood Grille in Oakbrook Center in Oakbrook, IL. I can't remember if they are part of a chain but decent food, good service and live music Friday and Saturday in the bar that carries nicely into the first part of the dining room. If you must eat at the mall that is my top choice in the area.

Okay... non-foodie full disclosure moment coming up... those with a weak stomach, please avert your eyes from the screen....

I LOVED the mall pretzels at the Pretzelmaker in Topeka!  I would often go there after high school just for the pretzel with jalapeno cheese sauce!  However, they have since done away with jalapeno cheese sauce and replaced it with your regular old ball park nasty cheese and the pretzels are not what they once were.

Don't most malls just have chain food or is that just the Midwest thing?

I do like Chick-fil-a every once in a while, but it is a chain!

So what? Why is there anything wrong with a chain? I mean, hell, the Fat Guy can wax poetic about the hot dogs at Costco, but we're supposed to be disdainful of any place that doesn't have a degustation menu?

This isn't directed at you, personally. It's general observation about a wierd dichotomy on this forum. We have threads devoted to the best Italian beef, but we feel like we're confessing to adultery if we admit we like Chick-Fil-A?

Good food is good food, whether it's made in a kitchen just like 20 others in a chain or a small trailer on the edge of a frontage road with a barrel smoker out back, or in Charlie Trotter's kitchen.

So what?  Why is there anything wrong with a chain?  I mean, hell, the Fat Guy can wax poetic about the hot dogs at Costco, but we're supposed to be disdainful of any place that doesn't have a degustation menu?

This isn't directed at you, personally.  It's general observation about a wierd dichotomy on this forum.  We have threads devoted to the best Italian beef, but we feel like we're confessing to adultery if we admit we like Chick-Fil-A?

Good food is good food, whether it's made in a kitchen just like 20 others in a chain or a small trailer on the edge of a frontage road with a barrel smoker out back, or in Charlie Trotter's kitchen.

I almost completely agree with this statement. But I'm not sure about the "absoluteness" of the dichotomy. Most of us Heartlanders seem to be able to find value in many food offerings, regardless of their specific origins.

Now, back to the mall. :wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Okay... non-foodie full disclosure moment coming up... those with a weak stomach, please avert your eyes from the screen....

I LOVED the mall pretzels at the Pretzelmaker in Topeka!  I would often go there after high school just for the pretzel with jalapeno cheese sauce!  However, they have since done away with jalapeno cheese sauce and replaced it with your regular old ball park nasty cheese and the pretzels are not what they once were.

Don't most malls just have chain food or is that just the Midwest thing?

I do like Chick-fil-a every once in a while, but it is a chain!

So what? Why is there anything wrong with a chain? I mean, hell, the Fat Guy can wax poetic about the hot dogs at Costco, but we're supposed to be disdainful of any place that doesn't have a degustation menu?

This isn't directed at you, personally. It's general observation about a wierd dichotomy on this forum. We have threads devoted to the best Italian beef, but we feel like we're confessing to adultery if we admit we like Chick-Fil-A?

Oh, I wasn't saying that specifically to degrade chains or anything... you obviously haven't read my postings in the past (I'm a huge proponent of Panera!) ... I was just saying that b/c I thought we were discussing mall food that wasn't a chain... that's all!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Speaking of pretzels...if there's an Aunt Annie's in the food court, I can't resist. Those things are like crack.

Ditto. :laugh:

Are Aunt Annie's better than Pretzeltime, b/c I thought Pretzeltime's pretzels were pretty awful? I would love to find a replacement for my old Pretzelmaker pretzel! :smile:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I've never had Pretzeltime. And actually, the only pretzels I've had at Aunt Annie's are the cinnamon-sugar. Basically a pretzel-shaped cinnamon roll, dipped in lots of butter and cinnamon-sugar. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

I will not go to the mall after work.

:raz:

Regency Court shopping center in Omaha houses Kobe Steakhouse, which is pretty good eats... The center doesn't have a typical department store anchor, though, unless W/S & Pottery Barn count-

:laugh:

"A good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf

So what?  Why is there anything wrong with a chain?  I mean, hell, the Fat Guy can wax poetic about the hot dogs at Costco, but we're supposed to be disdainful of any place that doesn't have a degustation menu?

This isn't directed at you, personally.  It's general observation about a wierd dichotomy on this forum.  We have threads devoted to the best Italian beef, but we feel like we're confessing to adultery if we admit we like Chick-Fil-A?

I almost completely agree with this statement. But I'm not sure about the "absoluteness" of the dichotomy. Most of us Heartlanders seem to be able to find value in many food offerings, regardless of their specific origins.

Now, back to the mall. :wink:

=R=

I realize that it's not a universal sentiment, or even one that some members hold full-time. I was just sort of decrying the fact that so many feel so often that they must apologize or act like it's a guilty pleasure to like places like chain restaurants.

I guess it's just the uber-mensch in me. Or maybe it's the uber-schlub.

I think the chain disclaimer came up because part of the original query was whether there was a mall that one'd make a special trip to specifically for the food.

Thank you... better said than I! :wink: