• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mall Eating in the Heartland . . .

I'm starting this topic out of sheer amusement. It has been prompted by a number of things:

1. moosnsqrl's heads-up on an article in the K.C. Star about Cafe Nordstrom.

2. If you have been to Hawaii, Asia or NYC and SF, you may be aware that in many parts of the world, eating in shopping malls and department stores isn't necessarily depressing, bad or done out of sheer desperation and convenience. Nay, this Mid-westerner was quite surprised to discover that "mall eating" can be quite sophisticated and even glamourous... not just eating - but dining. Take for instance the uber luxe shopping center, Ala Moana Center in Honolulu where one could do very well by sitting and being seen at The Pineapple Room at Macy's or Mariposa in the Neiman Marcus.

3. The decline of shopping malls across America... I know, dare I utter it for fear that another will go on the mere though of it...

So: where are the "acceptable dining" spots when shopping in the Midwest? Would anyone drive to a Midwest mall just to eat?

By "mall," I would include, enclosed, or quasi-enclosed (quasi-enclosed malls are ones that feature enclosed pedestrian shopping areas - like Old Orchard (Skokie, Ill.)) shopping centers characterized by at least two, if not three or more anchoring department stores. Thus, the Country Club Plaza (KC, MO) and Michigan Avenue North (Chicago, IL) would not count.

I haven't been to the Mall of America in years... anything of note there?

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I have considered trying the Napa Valley Grille in the Garden State Mall in Paramus, N.J.

I don't expect to be blown away but I do stop to read the menu while walking by as I have read some pretty good reports.

Actually the food could be straight out of Fear Factor and it would be an improvement over walking around that mind destroying daddy killing mall. :laugh:

http://www.napavalleygrille.com/paramus.php

Edited by robert40 (log)

Robert R

Sorry if this comes across as exclusionist, but I was asking specifically about Midwest options... Maybe I should start a forum on a broader, national, forum as well. :wink:

But, thanks for the suggestion - the next time I'm near the fear-inspiring Paramus (I've only driven by, mouth agape), I might just stop in the Napa Valley Grille (?), or I might just sate my hunger with a bag of chips and wait for the signs to NY pop up! :laugh:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'm starting this topic out of sheer amusement.  It has been prompted by a number of things:

1. moosnsqrl's head's-up on an article in the K.C. Star about Cafe Nordstrom.

2. If you have been to Hawaii, Asia or NYC and SF, you may be aware that  in many parts of the world, eating in shopping malls and department stores isn't necessarily depressing, bad or done out of sheer desperation and convenience.  Nay, this Mid-westerner was quite surprised to discover that "mall eating" can be quite sophisticated and even glamourous... not just eating - but dining.  Take for instance the uber luxe shopping center, Ala Moana Center in Honolulu where one could do very well by sitting and being seen at The Pineapple Room at Macy's or Mariposa in the Neiman Marcus.

3. The decline of shopping malls across America... I know, dare I utter it for fear that another will go on the mere though of it...

So: where are the "acceptable dining" spots when shopping in the Midwest?  Would anyone drive to a Midwest mall just to eat? 

By "mall," I would include, enclosed, or quasi-enclosed (quasi-enclosed malls are ones that feature enclosed pedestrian shopping areas - like Old Orchard (Skokie, Ill.)) shopping centers characterized by at least two, if not three or more anchoring department stores.  Thus, the Country Club Plaza (KC, MO) and Michigan Avenue North (Chicago, IL) would not count.

I haven't been to the Mall of America in years... anything of note there? 

u.e.

I don't know if it's still open or not, but the restaurant at Marshall Field's at Old Orchard was for a number of years very good, and sometimes even a destination dining spot. I remember my Grandmother taking me there for my birthday as a young adult.

Oakbrook Plaza has a whole row of Lettuce Entertain You restaurants, including Maggiano's, Wildfire, and Mon Ami Gabi. Admittedly, LEYE is not the pinnacle of fine dining, but they do serve up better food than many authentic Mom & Pop restaurants, and their quality is consistent.

Though i've never been, there's a capital grill in the summerset mall.  Some seem to like it, though i'm a bit skeptical

Bon Vie is Also there

Sorry, please clarify the locale? Summerset is in the Twin Cities area?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Sorry if this comes across as exclusionist, but I was asking specifically about Midwest options... Maybe I should start a forum on a broader, national, forum as well.  :wink:

But, thanks for the suggestion - the next time I'm near the fear-inspiring Paramus (I've only driven by, mouth agape), I might just stop in the Napa Valley Grille (?), or I might just sate my hunger with a bag of chips and wait for the signs to NY pop up!  :laugh:

u.e.

Oh boy, I'm I in a haze today. Found the thread through 'View New Post' and never noticed it was a Midwest forum. Carry on folks. See thats what malls have done to me. :wacko:

Robert R

Oakbrook Plaza has a whole row of Lettuce Entertain You restaurants, including Maggiano's, Wildfire, and Mon Ami Gabi.  Admittedly, LEYE is not the pinnacle of fine dining, but they do serve up better food than many authentic Mom & Pop restaurants, and their quality is consistent.

I also think there's a Maggiano's (or there was) at Old Orchard - along with a Cheesecake Factory. Yeah, still not what I would call "destination dining..."

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

The only shopping center dining I have done recently, meaning the last 5 years, has been at Town Center Plaza at the Dean and Deluca's. Otherwise, I have only been in a mall in the last 5 years about 3 times. And I really do not do the restaurants that tend to border the big box centers. That has already been beaten with a stick in another thread here in the midwest.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Antico Posto in the Oakbrook Mall, another Lettuce restaurant, is really very good. When we lived in the far south suburbs (really more like the northern suburbs of Kankakee) we did indeed drive to Oakbrook just to eat there.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

For years, I loved Claim Company which was at Northbrook Court (NBC), an 'upscale' mall near my house. They had great burgers and a decent salad bar, etc. It's been gone for several years, though. NBC now holds Di Pescara and The Palm, so clearly the higher end is well-covered. There's also a PF Chang's out there somewhere in the parking lot but not within the confines of NBC proper.

The food court at NBC is a fairly typical incarnation, with Johnny Rockets being the most "exciting" thing there. But hey, how can you knock Sbarro pizza? I'll admit that it's not very good but every once in a while it really scratches the itch.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I know people who will drive to Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Ill., for the Todai seafood buffet. In my opinion, that's not completely unreasonable for the desserts and a few of the hot items. Most people say they go for the sushi but I think the sushi is crap. Personally, I see no reason to go to Todai since Mitsuwa with its food court is right down the street.

Woodfield also has the usual PF Cheesecakes, as well as Shaw's Crab House. Shaw's is a Lettuce Entertain You restaurant; I like it.

Also, if you want to go to Ikea and have the food there, it's right on the edge of Woodfield.

Also, if you want to go to Ikea and have the food there, it's right on the edge of Woodfield.

Ohh (rhyming with purrrr).... Ikea dining... *eyes glaze over momentarily* - that's in a category of its own!! :raz:

Despite offering a panoply of life-needs (and how!), I woudn't quite qualify it as a mall, though...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

In a recent edition of the Wichita Eagle, Joe Stumpe writes an appreciative column on the Metro Dogs stand, and proprietor Michael Gonzalez, in Wichita's Towne East:

Gonzalez draws on his Italian-Cuban heritage to make specialty sandwiches featuring ingredients like fresh mozzarella and basil, mojito sauce and crusty Cuban bread. In fact, watching Gonzalez put together a signature dish -- a seared mahi mahi sandwich topped with diced mango, cilantro and red onion, plum tomatoes, a garlic-basil tartar sauce and more . . .

I rarely shop at the malls, but the next time I'm in Towne East, I'll look this guy up. In fact, next time I'm in the neighborhood I may make a special trip. Sounds pretty good to me!

In a recent edition of the Wichita Eagle, Joe Stumpe writes an appreciative column on the Metro Dogs stand, and proprietor Michael Gonzalez,  in  Wichita's Towne East:
Gonzalez draws on his Italian-Cuban heritage to make specialty sandwiches featuring ingredients like fresh mozzarella and basil, mojito sauce and crusty Cuban bread. In fact, watching Gonzalez put together a signature dish -- a seared mahi mahi sandwich topped with diced mango, cilantro and red onion, plum tomatoes, a garlic-basil tartar sauce and more . . .

I rarely shop at the malls, but the next time I'm in Towne East, I'll look this guy up. In fact, next time I'm in the neighborhood I may make a special trip. Sounds pretty good to me!

Wow! That sounds great. I'll have to remember this one!! Do report back if you ever get try one of his Italio-Cuban creations!!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Okay... non-foodie full disclosure moment coming up... those with a weak stomach, please avert your eyes from the screen....

I LOVED the mall pretzels at the Pretzelmaker in Topeka! I would often go there after high school just for the pretzel with jalapeno cheese sauce! However, they have since done away with jalapeno cheese sauce and replaced it with your regular old ball park nasty cheese and the pretzels are not what they once were.

Don't most malls just have chain food or is that just the Midwest thing?

I do like Chick-fil-a every once in a while, but it is a chain!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Somerset is metro Detroit's high end mall, located in Troy on Big Beaver between Coolidge and Crooks.

As mentioned there's a Capital Grille there. Bon Vie is French-American bistro. Also there is Brio Tuscan Grille, which I've heard some decent things about, a California Pizza Kitchen, a P.F. Chang's, a McCormick and Schmick's, and J. Alexander's (standard American).

Not worth a trip just for the food since most of these places exist elsewhere.

Also there is Brio Tuscan Grille, which I've heard some decent things about,

If I'm not mistaken - it's also a part of the Best Italiana USA restaurant group - which includes Bravo! There's a Brio on the Country Club Plaza (KC, MO) as well. There's a Bravo! at the Zona Rosa shopping center (KC, MO). (I know there's another Bravo! in Lenexa, KS, but I'm not sure where - is it near/at Oak Park?... it's been ages).

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

You're right. Looking at your link, Bon Vie is also part of this group.

So I misspoke. *All* of these places exist elsewhere.

Another megamall in the area is Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills. There, the chain restaurants are Rainforest Cafe and Miyako Japanese Steakhouse. Also there's Thunder Bay Brewing Company, a casual Michigan-themed restaurant/brewery-type place which is one of Matt Prentice's (i.e., Coach Insignia, Morels, Shiraz, No. VI steakhouse, Northern Lakes Seafood Company.)

Still not worth a trip just for the food.

Edited by Leonard Kim (log)

If I'm not mistaken - it's also a part of the Best Italiana USA restaurant group - which includes Bravo! There's a Brio on the Country Club Plaza (KC, MO) as well. There's a Bravo! at the Zona Rosa shopping center (KC, MO). (I know there's another Bravo! in Lenexa, KS, but I'm not sure where - is it near/at Oak Park?... it's been ages).

u.e.

There's a Bravo at Town Center.

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

u.e.

There's a Bravo at Town Center.

That would make sense... (Lenexa, KS for non-KC'ers).

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Okay... non-foodie full disclosure moment coming up... those with a weak stomach, please avert your eyes from the screen....

I LOVED the mall pretzels at the Pretzelmaker in Topeka!  I would often go there after high school just for the pretzel with jalapeno cheese sauce!  However, they have since done away with jalapeno cheese sauce and replaced it with your regular old ball park nasty cheese and the pretzels are not what they once were.

Don't most malls just have chain food or is that just the Midwest thing?

I do like Chick-fil-a every once in a while, but it is a chain!

Speakig of pretzels...if there's an Aunt Annie's in the food court, I can't resist. Those things are like crack.

Legacy Village a new upscale mall on Cleveland's east side has some very good dining options, many of hem with terraces for alfresco dining. :biggrin:

Last summer I had excellent lunches at both Brio Tuscan Grille and Stir Crazy.

Most of the other Cleveland malls have the typical food courts, but Golden Gate (a strip mall) has Otani's a good Japanese restaurant even though it is sandwiched between a Chuck E Cheese and TGIFriday's..... :hmmm:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Speaking of pretzels...if there's an Aunt Annie's in the food court, I can't resist. Those things are like crack.

Ditto. :laugh:

I wish our Chick-Fil-A was still open. If you're out shopping and have to have a meal, it's at least one of the least offensive places.