• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good wine book

Snowy is dead

I'm looking for a good book to explain, inform, and enlighten me about French wine. I have to Vino Italiano book, and I love that. I like the format, the way it is written, everything. And it deals with all of Italy.

Ideally, I'm looking for the same thing in a French book. I know enough about French wine only to generalize about grapes and regions, but would love to know more without getting an extra degree, if you know what I mean.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm looking for a good book to explain, inform, and enlighten me about French wine.  I have to Vino Italiano book, and I love that.  I like the format, the way it is written, everything.  And it deals with all of Italy.

Ideally, I'm looking for the same thing in a French book.  I know enough about French wine only to generalize about grapes and regions, but would love to know more without getting an extra degree, if you know what I mean.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

well, you have a few options. "The Wine Bible" has a wealth of information on French wine imparticularly, though it does include alot of other information on alot of other wine making countries. or i would search out books from particular regions of france, for burgundy i would go with "Côte D'Or: A Celebration of the Great Wines of Burgundy" and for bordeaux id go with "Bordeaux : A Consumer's Guide to the World's Finest Wines" they're in my library.

Grand Cru Productions

Private High End Dinners and Personal Chef Service

in Chicago, Illinois

For more information email me at:

grandcruproductions@hotmail.com

Thanks for the info! The "new france" book looks good. I also saw they have a "new spain." Is that the same quality?

Thanks to all in the forum for putting up with my questions. What a treasure trove of information! I just wish I had the time to read all the posts.

Sean

Thanks for the info!  The "new france" book looks good.  I also saw they have a "new spain."  Is that the same quality? 

Thanks to all in the forum for putting up with my questions.  What a treasure trove of information!  I just wish I had the time to read all the posts.

Sean

I think the Jeffords book is a Mitchel Beazley book (publisher)--they seem to focus on wine related books.

The New Spain book is probably theirs as well. I have found most of these books to be quite well written (a lot depends upon the individual writers).

The Jeffords book is IMOP very good because he covers a lot of the issues confronting the wine world--France in particular so the book is a lot more than just a basic guide book--it is very readable.

I would also second a suggestion another poster made--the Wine Bible by Karen MacNeill. This book is pretty comprehensive in that it covers the world--not just France--and provides a lot of information--it is also very readable.

finally--I couldn't recommend more enthusiastically --a book by Mary Ewing Mulligan called "Wine Styles"--Mary and her husband Ed McCarthy are educators--Mary runs the International Wine Center. The book looks at wine from allover the world from a flavor profile view and is great fun and very informative. It is a great read and amazingly informative.

"The New France" by Andrew Jefford is very good.

covers French wine region by region from a modern perspective.

Is concise and informative.

yup.

beautiful photography..

altho its a little advanced and written like you already understand the basics of alsace/loire/burgundy/bordeaux/rhone/champagne. which isnt really basic, come to think of it.

OHHHHH

french wine for dummies.

another great book.

seriously.