• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

After theater dinner near Kennington Oval?

A friend of a friend is coming to perform at the Oval House Theatre, and I'd like to take him for a late supper nearby after the show. That area seems to be totally off the gastronomic map in the guides. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Think Lobster Pot still there.

I live just up the Brixton Rd from Oval. Basically your options are Painted Heron, one of a bunch of random but decent Portguese places up Clapham Park Rd towards Stockwell (haven't got details on me - look up in the Time Out Guide. Lontosa (a halfway decent Malaysian/Chinesey place on the parade of shops by Oval station... the veggie mock-meat dishes are good), The Lavender (bistroish place up from Oval station. Friendly but only so-so food).

Personally I'd hike across St Marks churchyard and trot two minutes up the Brixton Rd to Adulis, a cosy Eritrean joint. The Enjera (sourdough pancake things) are incredibly moreish. Food can be a bit spicy though, but its filling and very reasonably price

Jay Rayner lives vaguely in the area. He may be able to add more.

ta

J

Edited by Jon Tseng (log)
More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

Thanks so much. Adulis looks excellent and is the likely choice so far. And they are open until midnight!

BTW, following Jon's suggestion, I looked in TimeOut, and they list Bar Estrela, Grehla D'ouro, OCantinho de Portugal, and O Moinho as the Portuguese options. (Heh, the thing is that they are listed in Stockwell, and I'm such a London geography newbie that I didn't realize that is within walking distance of Kennington Oval). Rebato (Spanish) is listed under "Vauxhall." Does any one of these stand out? On the map they look farther away than Adulis.

Rebatos is OK in the front part (tapas). The rear restaurant is poor. Both parts full of s.London crims on a Sat night.

O Cantino prob the best of the Portuguese.

All a bit of a walk tho' - you're prb better off with Adulis.

I'd second (or third) Adulis. I have friends who live just around the corner, and we often seem to end up there. The food is great, and the atmosphere -and manner of eating - makes for a very convivial evening. I love the place.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Just reporting back--Adulis was the perfect recommendation, thank you very much. I'm no expert on Eritrean food, but as far as I can tell, there was very little accommodation for the European palate. The stuffed chilies stung like scorpions, fresh and raw and filled with chopped tomato. The raw lamb was beautifully hand minced, with good quality meat and no visible sinew, excellent balance of seasoning. All the stews were fresh-tasting and well prepared. Best of all, they serve until at least midnight, and til 1AM on party nights. Perfect for after theater. One of the people in the group lived in the neighborhood, and he was stunned. He'd never realized Adulis was there, and I'm a London newbie. :cool:

The show was also excellent--"Big in Japan," running at the Oval House Theatre through next week. It's a one-man show of autobiographical stories, very sensitively recounted with music and film. It's hard to explain, but it covers friendships, love, and the journey of an all-American boy in Japan. All in all, a fun night in South London. Thanks, eGullet!