• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broad Street Smokehouse and Grill

Dana329

Saw this sign in the window Tuesday when I was in Ridgewood. Same block as Marra's, opposite the parking lot. Can it be that after all this talk about no good bbq in NJ, Q is the next new thing? :rolleyes: It'd have to be REALLY good to beat Front Street even though the 10 minute trip is easier than 45 to Elizabeth. So...any info?

Dana

Saw this sign in the window Tuesday when I was in Ridgewood. Same block as Marra's, opposite the parking lot.  Can it be that after all this talk about no good bbq in NJ,  Q is the next new thing?  :rolleyes:  It'd have to be REALLY good to beat Front Street even though the 10 minute trip is easier than 45 to Elizabeth. So...any info?

Dana

the sign has been there for quite some time, but i haven't noticed much movement. i've been keeping my eye out, rest assured.

meanwhile, i've been considering opening a BBQ place in bergen county. perhaps my timing is a little off. :shock: it's just as well someone else makes the good BBQ anyway. less hassle and more BBQ for me.

edited to add that you should definitely give Silver Oak's BBQ a try if you haven't already. he's not messing around over there.

Edited by tommy (log)

When I come back from Texas on Saturday I will give my review of Texas barbecue. My conclusions may be interesting. But I have tried a few down here for the sake of comparison for my NJ brethren.

Pictures and story to come.

Will be doing one of the Mueller's tonight, probably John's place in Austin proper.

I think a barbecue joint in Northern NJ would be a great ticket and we could bring folks in I would think.

Saw this sign in the window Tuesday when I was in Ridgewood. Same block as Marra's, opposite the parking lot.  Can it be that after all this talk about no good bbq in NJ,  Q is the next new thing?  :rolleyes:  It'd have to be REALLY good to beat Front Street even though the 10 minute trip is easier than 45 to Elizabeth. So...any info?

Dana

the sign has been there for quite some time, but i haven't noticed much movement. i've been keeping my eye out, rest assured.

meanwhile, i've been considering opening a BBQ place in bergen county. perhaps my timing is a little off. :shock: it's just as well someone else makes the good BBQ anyway. less hassle and more BBQ for me.

edited to add that you should definitely give Silver Oak's BBQ a try if you haven't already. he's not messing around over there.

Tommy, Chef Gary and I are ready...we just need more seats, parking spots and a way to sell beer with the BBQ...LOL

Mike

Edited by mfeygin (log)

Dana

Tommy, Chef Gary and I are ready...we just need more seats, parking spots and a way to sell beer with the BBQ...LOL

Mike

Maybe you can work out a deal with the new folks that get one of the Indian restaurants in town (Kailash or the other)... I hear they are selling soon or have been sold, but it could be another one of those "Ridgewood Rumors".

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Maybe you can work out a deal with the new folks that get one of the Indian restaurants in town (Kailash or the other)... I hear they are selling soon or have been sold, but it could be another one of those "Ridgewood Rumors".

that would provide more space, but there's still the parking and booze issues. Mike, if you guys could figure out a way to serve beer, i think you'd be poised to take over the world.

broad street smokehouse still shows no movement. it looks like a tiny place. if i recall correctly, there was once a restaurant called "Daniel's, Finally" in that spot. i was there once, and i recall it being a bit bigger than Silver Oak. i wonder where Danny landed?

• 7 months later...
which paper? 

they've only had the doors open for a little over a week, and have been officially opened only a few days.  it's a little premature for any sort of review i'd think, but i'm interested in reading it.

Ridgewood News, last issue.

My wife and I had dinner there last night, and while I would recomend that everyone give them their fair shot, I was left a little underwhelmed.

I started with a cup of the chili. It was alright...a little thick for my tastes, and I prefer one made with diced meat rather than the ground meat that theirs was made of. The taste was good, but a little too similar to a something store-bought.

Then I had a half-slab of ribs. They were well cooked...very tender with a good smoke ring. Unfortunately the meat tasted like it wasn't dry-rubbed long enough if at all prior to smoking. The sauce had an appealing sweet-tangy balance. but the ribs didn't come with quite enough (becasue the ribs hadn't been seasoned well.) My wife had a pulled chicken sandwich, which didn't come with any sauce at all, and she sadi was fairly dry.

As for the sides, the macaroni and cheese was the best of what we had, followed by the baked beans. The mashed potatoes had no seasoning at all and were far too gummy. The cole slaw was good, but nothing to sing about.

The service was alright, but my biggest complaint about the place would have to be the atmosphere. FAR too quiet, and the music that they did have was all wrong. One might expect some blues, or a little southern rock, but they were playing quiet contemporary music that did nothing for them. I would also have to say that the dining expereince was far too clean to be good BBQ. I just didn't get messy enough, and barely needed my napkin.

All that being said, I'll probably give them another shot in a few weeks, just to see if they've made any adjustments.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

• 3 months later...

I have to agree with the last post. My wife and I stopped in last night and upon leaving we both said the same thing, "It was okay".

They did put out 3 different bottles of their own sauce on the table, a sweet and mild KC BBQ, a hotter version of KC BBQ and a NC style (vinegar) sauce.

We had the half ribs as well along with the pulled pork. Wife loved the mac and cheese, we both liked the beans as well. I liked the mashed potatoes with the red skins left in the mix but as previously stated, they were underseasoned.

The staff was very friendly but... confused.

Would I go back, maybe. But we're on a mission top eat at a different place evertime we're in Ridgewood so I doubt we'll be back soon!

EDIT: Mmmm, but the warmed up leftovers on a damp day are good!

Edited by JerseyRED (log)

"The only time I ever said no to a drink was when I misunderstood the question."

Will Sinclair

I have to agree with the last post. My wife and I stopped in last night and upon leaving we both said the same thing, "It was okay".

They did put out 3 different bottles of their own sauce on the table, a sweet and mild KC BBQ, a hotter version of KC BBQ and a NC style (vinegar) sauce.

We had the half ribs as well along with the pulled pork. Wife loved the mac and cheese, we both liked the beans as well. I liked the mashed potatoes with the red skins left in the mix but as previously stated, they were underseasoned.

The staff was very friendly but... confused.

Would I go back, maybe. But we're on a mission top eat at a different place evertime we're in Ridgewood so I doubt we'll be back soon!

EDIT: Mmmm, but the warmed up leftovers on a damp day are good!

The BBW extravaganza from Silver Oak Bistro is far superior, but it's a boat-load of food. So have lots of hungry people on hand. I have also heard (directly from the Silver Oak Folks) that they are taking over the old Clixes spot on Goffle Road and opening a true BBQ Joint. That would be a great thing.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

• 1 year later...
Tommy:Eats reports that Broad Street Smokehouse has been sold.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Yes, they did close. This is what they said:

"After a 15-month run, we are sad to say that we have sold Broad Street Smokehouse & Grill. We came to the decision that while we would have liked to ride out the turbulent economy, it was just too much to handle.

We would like to say a personal 'thank you' to the many people and families that supported us - literally from day one. It has been our distinct pleasure and honor to serve you. While the new owners will not be serving up the same cuisine, we hope you will welcome and support them as they are not strangers to Ridgewood.

All our best,

Broad Street Smokehouse & Grill"