• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great dining in Milwaukee, where?

Sanford is one-of-a-kind in milwaukee. To my knowledge there are no other tasting-menu type places around here.

Some jewels in milwaukee that I've discovered recently are:

Sticks & Stones

Langniappe Brasserie

Envoy (had poor service here once, though)

Also, if you're in the mood for steaks, I think MKE does it pretty well. Try Yanni's or Mr. B's (owned by the bartolotta group). There's also a more casual trendy placed called Carnevore that was really good.

And I'll second the votes for ROOTS and Coquette Cafe (one of my fav lunch spots).

Lake Park Bistro is good, their brunch is excellent, but I find the dinners sortof overpriced for what they are, this is supossed to be the flagship Bartolotta restuarant, and the price confirms it.

I just discovered Bjonda. Very nice place, great out of the way location, and very nicely decorated (I don't really care what places look like, but this one is rather nice!). We went for lunch, and is was awesome. They do have a tasting menu similar to Sanford also. I would probably recommend this place as a 2nd choice to Sanford.

Erik

• 5 months later...

The Calatrava addition is stunning. This is certainly not fine dining, but we had a great lunch at African Hut. We tried out about half the menu, and everything was pretty good. Never having tried Nigerian food before, we weren't sure of what to expect, but it had a many flavors and ingredients common to Indian food.