• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining Out for Life, where to go?

~cayenne~

Looking over the pamphlet for tomorrow's Dining Out For Life and noticed that there is extremely poor representation from the cities outside of Vancouver proper. Absolutely nothing from Richmond or Surrey which are probably the two most highly populated locales. Hardly any representation from the three main C.F.D.'s that I could see anyway, often the choice of many (though not all) in the 'burbs, besides the obvious option in Richmond, which doesn't seem to be represented very well in general.

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Suburban underrepresentation notwithstanding, I'll be supporting one of my favourite non-Vancouver restaurants by dining at The Pear Tree tomorrow evening.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Three restaurants from the White Rock 'burbs' are participating: Giraffe, Pearl on the Rock and Washington Avenue Grill.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

It's important to realize that this event, which currently numbers a coalition of Friends for Life and Loving Spoonful, and has also coalesced 193 restaurants, is a volunteer organization. Loving Spoonful receives alsmost 10% of its annual income from this source.

It behooves anyone with an interest in the needs of the societies involved, and the food service industry, to volunteer their time and invite more restaurants to the party.

Now we all have a whole year, less a day, to do precisely that. :smile:

PS: Remember that $1 from each pour of Stella goes to the collective today!

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Suburban underrepresentation notwithstanding, I'll be supporting one of my favourite non-Vancouver restaurants by dining at The Pear Tree tomorrow evening.

Been missing your reviews lately Mooshmouse...can we expect one this time? :smile:

Been missing your reviews lately Mooshmouse...can we expect one this time? :smile:

Thanks for that! :smile:

Am off to a kids' birthday party with the rest of the Mouse family. With any luck, photos will appear sometime late tonight or tomorrow. Cheers!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg