• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just can't decide

tippingvelvet

As silly as this sounds I can't decide where to go (people coming into town). I just need to pick a place and make a reservation. Here are my choices:

Blu

Trattoria Fresco

Fascino's

Table 8

Fortunuato's

I've not been to Table 8 or Fascino's (so I'm leaning towards Fascino's).

Or is there someplace else I should be considering (I'm not putting Silver Oak Bistro in mix this time.)

For me, the only question is if you prefer a BYO or not. Then you can decide between Fortunato and Blu. :biggrin:

Seriously, though, I think a lot depends upon who you're going with...TF is a bit noisy, as is Blu, but I think TF is far worse. Then again, I looooove the patio at TF, and can't wait to sit out there again!

Chef Zod (Blu) is by far one of the most creative chefs I've encountered in this area, but people who are on the 'conservative' side of food might find his combinations a bit too creative (NOT ME!). And his menu changes quite regularly, so I don't know if you can 'depend' on what you read today for a menu past this week. Then again, you're getting (imo) bargain prices for food at a BYO restaurant. Also, keep in mind that reservations are tough to get unless it's a month out. Especially since there's no answering machine... :blink:

Chef Anthony LoPinto at Fortunato puts out some of the most consistently delicious (and also creative--just different from Zod) meals I've eaten in NJ, but it's also a different atmosphere. Not bad, just different.

I'm also very fond of Fascino, but reservations can be tough there, too. I have heard a number of people who were underwhelmed by Table 8, but I haven't been yet.

So as I've said, you do need to factor in the people, cost, location and whether or not you want a BYO. My two cents! And if you've read this and said "Hey! Thanks for nuthin'," well, sorry. :biggrin: And btw, you left out The Jefferson in Hoboken! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Of those you asked about, I've only not been to Fortunato's.

I'd have to go with either Fascino or Blu.

Table 8 was exceptional when I went there, but I've heard mixed reviews about the service.

Terrible service is the norm for me at Trattoria Fresco. They have good food, but I've had 5 times as many terrible experiences there as I've had good experiences, so I woudln't recommend TF to anyone.

Both Fascino and Blu are a terrific blend of exceptional food with service to match. If it's a toss-up between these two places, I'd go with whichever place can better accomodate your party for your desired time.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Hitmanoo makes a good point that I forgot to mention...Blu only has one table that seats 6, and can't accommodate any parties larger than that. The other thing to know about their 6-top is that there is no wiggle room. There is enough space for each chair, but I doubt there's more than an inch or two between them. Again, that's at the big table.

As for service, I don't think that any of the restaurants on this list have exceptional service.

Hitmanoo, get thee to Fortunato!! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

i can't recommend TF. i'm not sure what the allure is with the place.

blu and fortunato are so dissimilar. usually the BYO aspect will be enough to make me choose one restaurant over another, but it that's not an issue, you probably can't go wrong with any of the others on the list (never been to table 8, though). i'd think other factors like travel time and noise level would be important as well, so it's hard to really recommend one over the other without something more to go on. but yeah, it doesn't matter. they're all fine.