• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question for the cake mavens...

Hmm, wonder how that stuff cuts (slices/serves)??? Doesn't it meld into the cake icing??? No it probably stays firm or else the webs & stuff would break hmmm...

I haven't used it in forever--mine is so old it's a solid mass in the bag. How does it slice????

Well, that depends how old it is, or rather, how long ago you piped it. Generally if it's newer it cuts sort of like fondant does (think of it as rubbery royal icing, because that's what it is.) After a few weeks though, I expect it would dehydrate completely and would probably shatter when you cut into it, same as royal would. Not 100% sure on that one though.

I wanted to do a Dragon drawing on a cake for my daughter for her swim team, and this way, I can just blow up the logo and trace it rather than try to freehand the thing.

Wow I never thought to use sugar veil like that--great idea. That way you could do edible artwork in advance of baking. Great great idea. I mean because otherwise you are doing the art last minute hurry hurry rush rush.

>>clapping hands smilie face<<

Hmm, wonder how that stuff cuts (slices/serves)??? Doesn't it meld into the cake icing??? No it probably stays firm or else the webs & stuff would break hmmm...

I haven't used it in forever--mine is so old it's a solid mass in the bag. How does it slice????

K8, you made my day! I had my own, (semi)original good idea! I sit here reading all the stuff you and other experienced people write and think that I have such a very long way to go. I find cake decorating (the art part) SO daunting. My weakest subject.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Thanks for the pictures on buttercream. I appreciate it and I shall try my hand at this over the next few weeks. I am slammed with cakes this upcoming week so I doubt I will be able to try a practice run but I am definitely going to try something.

I think I will invest in the Sugar Veil product too and see what I can come up with. If I understood correctly there is no need to buy their tool but just use the decorating tips I have correct?

I am so excited I now have time to be more creative with my cakes since I have quit my job and am now putting all my time into Celene's.

Yes it's scarry but everytime I think no one is going to call the phone rings for another order. Yipppeee. Now all I need is some reliable help especially with Easter in the wings. :smile:

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

I am so excited I now have time to be more creative with my cakes since I have quit my job and am now putting all my time into Celene's.

Yes it's scarry but everytime I think no one is going to call the phone rings for another order.  Yipppeee. Now all I need is some reliable help especially with Easter in the wings. :smile:

How exciting, Celene, best of luck to you! I, for one, want to see *lots* of pictures of your cakes. :smile:

I think I will invest in the Sugar Veil product too and see what I can come up with.  If I understood correctly there is no need to buy their tool but just use the decorating tips I have correct?

Yes that is correct. You do not need their tool.

Congratulations on your exciting business venture. I advertised for help in several areas. One was in the local Home School newsletter. Now I got a lot of underage applicants but I also received some great prospects. And the local culinary schools are great sources--not that that wasn't totally obvious.

Best wishes to yah, cake-buddy!!

• Similar Content

• By amyneill
      Hi all!! 
      I work at an amazing little New Zealand Style ice cream shop in the beautiful Denver Colorado. I was hoping to get a little help on the subject of adding fruit into ice cream after extracting it and ensuring that, when the ice cream is frozen, the fruity bits don't turn into rock hard shards. I am planning on doing a cherry chocolate ice cream and I was going to soak some dried cherries that we're no longer using for something else. I was planning on using some brandy and a ton of sugar, but I was really hoping someone had a tried and true method they could send my way so that I KNOW that the fruit will be luscious as it's frozen. If you have a certain sugar ratio. I know there is the brix test, but to be honest it's been many years since pastry school and I am very rusty. Would love to hear from some of my fellow sugar-heads. 
      Thank you!
      Amy

• By MightyD
      cakes, cookies, pies, that makes you smile!!!!
    • By meryll_thirteen
      Hi guys! I got excited to post something as this is my first one.
      So, the top 3 desserts I like to eat when I was still in Philippines were Halu-halo (literally means mix-mix in english), brazo de mercedes and chocolate crinkles.

1. HALU-HALO is one of the popular food during summer. This is basically:
      shaved ice with evaporated milk,
      sugar,
      and the following:
      - nata de coco (coconut cream based on a google search, these are cube-like jellies),
      - sweetened red beans,
      - sweetened bananas,
      - cooked sago or tapioca,
      - ube or purple yam,
      - leche flan (this is also one of the best desserts to eat),
      - macapuno (made of coconut),
      - sweetend jackfruit,
      - sweetened kamote (this is similar to sweet potato but caramelized),
      - sweetened kaong (sugar palm fruit)
      - and topped with a scoop of ice cream.
      These fruits are usually bought in jars (found mostly in Asian grocery stores). You basically put the fruits at the bottom, add sugar (if you want because almost all the fruits are sweetened so it's already sweet), then you fill the cup/bowl with shaved ice and add milk. And most importantly, mix it well before you eat because you don't want to eat shaved ice with milk only and then eat the really sweet fruits last.

2. BRAZO DE MERCEDES
      Yah, I think the name is Spanish? I tried making this but I just failed. It's kinda hard to do and takes a lot of patience but it's really worth it. This is my favourite cake! In Philippines, most bakeries sell this but my favourite is from Goldiluck's which is located in shopping malls.
      Brazo de Mercedes recipe

3. CHOCOLATE CRINKLES
      These are my favourite chocolate cookies! I think this one isn't really from Philippines but they are really popular. I was kinda shocked when I came here in Canada, because they don't sell these cookies in the bakeries I've been to so I tried baking these on my own. Since my post is getting long, I'll put the recipe as a link at the bottom.
      http://sweb2.dmit.na...rinkles-recipe/
      I hope you enjoyed my post! Happy eating and baking everyone!
    • By ChrisZ
      Hoping for some help.  I accidentally melted an old mould that is very important to us and I've had no luck searching around for a replacement.  
      If anyone knows where I could buy one - or even has one to spare they would be willing to sell - please send me a message.
      The mould (label attached below) was originally labelled as "Easy as ABC gelatin mould", although we just call it the alphabet mould.  Yes there are lots of alphabet moulds around, including new silicone ones, but we need the specific designs on this one to replace the one I damaged.  Depending on the cost, I would consider paying for postage internationally (to Australia).
      Thanks in advance!

• By Kasia
      ON THE CHRISTMAS TABLE - CHRISTMAS EVE CRANBERRY KISSEL

One of my friends from Ukraine told me about her traditional Christmas dishes. Except for stuffed cabbage with potatoes (which I have made already) I was surprised about cranberry kissel. I searched the Internet and I saw that in many Polish homes Christmas Eve supper ends with cranberry kissel. In my home we always drink compote with dried fruit, but maybe this year we will try a new dish on our Christmas menu.

I wonder why cranberries are on the Christmas table. I didn't find any particular information about it (except the fact it is tradition). I think that a few years ago cranberries were treated as a natural cure which aids digestion, and this could be quite useful after a hefty Christmas meal!

At my Ukrainian friends' home Christmas kissel is runny like a drink, but you can prepare it like a dessert with a more dense texture. I made the drink version, but you should choose which is better for you.

Ingredients:
      500g of cranberries
      a piece of cinnamon and a couple of cloves
      6-8 tablespoons of sugar
      2-3 tablespoons of potato flour

Wash the cranberries and put them with the cinnamon and cloves in a pan. Pour in 500ml of water and boil until the fruit is soft. Remove the cinnamon and cloves and blend the rest. Add the sugar and mix it until it has dissolved. Sieve the cranberry mousse to make a smooth texture. Mix the potato flour with a bit of cold water. Boil the cranberry mousse and add the mixed potato flour, stirring constantly so it is not lumpy. Boil for a while. Pour the kissel into some glasses.

Enjoy your meal!