• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question for the cake mavens...

RuthWells

Hmm, wonder how that stuff cuts (slices/serves)??? Doesn't it meld into the cake icing??? No it probably stays firm or else the webs & stuff would break hmmm...

I haven't used it in forever--mine is so old it's a solid mass in the bag. How does it slice????

Well, that depends how old it is, or rather, how long ago you piped it. Generally if it's newer it cuts sort of like fondant does (think of it as rubbery royal icing, because that's what it is.) After a few weeks though, I expect it would dehydrate completely and would probably shatter when you cut into it, same as royal would. Not 100% sure on that one though.

I wanted to do a Dragon drawing on a cake for my daughter for her swim team, and this way, I can just blow up the logo and trace it rather than try to freehand the thing.

Wow I never thought to use sugar veil like that--great idea. That way you could do edible artwork in advance of baking. Great great idea. I mean because otherwise you are doing the art last minute hurry hurry rush rush.

>>clapping hands smilie face<<

Hmm, wonder how that stuff cuts (slices/serves)??? Doesn't it meld into the cake icing??? No it probably stays firm or else the webs & stuff would break hmmm...

I haven't used it in forever--mine is so old it's a solid mass in the bag. How does it slice????

K8, you made my day! I had my own, (semi)original good idea! I sit here reading all the stuff you and other experienced people write and think that I have such a very long way to go. I find cake decorating (the art part) SO daunting. My weakest subject.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Thanks for the pictures on buttercream. I appreciate it and I shall try my hand at this over the next few weeks. I am slammed with cakes this upcoming week so I doubt I will be able to try a practice run but I am definitely going to try something.

I think I will invest in the Sugar Veil product too and see what I can come up with. If I understood correctly there is no need to buy their tool but just use the decorating tips I have correct?

I am so excited I now have time to be more creative with my cakes since I have quit my job and am now putting all my time into Celene's.

Yes it's scarry but everytime I think no one is going to call the phone rings for another order. Yipppeee. Now all I need is some reliable help especially with Easter in the wings. :smile:

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

I am so excited I now have time to be more creative with my cakes since I have quit my job and am now putting all my time into Celene's.

Yes it's scarry but everytime I think no one is going to call the phone rings for another order.  Yipppeee. Now all I need is some reliable help especially with Easter in the wings. :smile:

How exciting, Celene, best of luck to you! I, for one, want to see *lots* of pictures of your cakes. :smile:

I think I will invest in the Sugar Veil product too and see what I can come up with.  If I understood correctly there is no need to buy their tool but just use the decorating tips I have correct?

Yes that is correct. You do not need their tool.

Congratulations on your exciting business venture. I advertised for help in several areas. One was in the local Home School newsletter. Now I got a lot of underage applicants but I also received some great prospects. And the local culinary schools are great sources--not that that wasn't totally obvious.

Best wishes to yah, cake-buddy!!