• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aspirational Dining

jamiemaw

We buy things because they reflect who we are, or even whom we aspire to be.

The same might be said to be true of our dining and food procurement choices. Much of this is subconcious of course.

In 500 words or less, how do your dining or food shopping choices reflect you - or your aspirations?

Come clean now . . .

The first thing I thought of was that I almost could be said to aspire to pretending I'm living in East Asia instead of the US, what with my Chinese, Malaysian, and Korean meals. Except that I have a kosher baked good most mornings and eat often at my local Polish diner, Teresa's.

I aspire to try more upscale food, but my salary would have to increase for me to feel OK about that. For now, I'm happy with what I eat (he wrote as he was finishing his Sauteed Cucumber with Black Mushroom [really, tree ears] from Grand Sichuan St. Marks).

Michael aka "Pan"

Eegads, Megan - no Blumarine, no La Perla?   :biggrin: I've certainly noticed one thing recently: these days restaurants are looking more and more Prada and way less Lada.

Well, I wouldn't turn my nose up at either. :wink:

And to clarify: just because I love it doesn't mean I own a lot of it. :laugh:

A Lada it is then!

I will not be going to Morimoto any time soon - too much of a manufactured scene for me, as is most of the Meatpacking District.  I'm more of a Hearth kind of gal...(quiet) casual luxury.

After that big 1* (or is it a single-Starr?) review today, perhaps you'll be in good company. Anyway, that whole scene reminds that validation remains the dark side of aspiration.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I cook what I like, with allowances for family preferences. Chiles and garlic are cheap, and few of my favorite foods require expensive ingredients. I’ll take a flavorful sauce over a big hunk of steak any day of the week. I usually avoid foods that require expensive ingredients because so many wonderful dishes don’t. This is a preference rather than a sacrifice.

We occasionally go to “nice” restaurants, but I’m usually much happier eating inexpensive Thai, Mexican, Ethiopian, or Indian food. Life is good when the things you love don’t require a lot of jack. I’m a cheap date unless I get a hankering for crabs.

I aspire to cooking the foods that I love, and then dining with similarly-afflicted companions. Fortunately a reasonable proportion of friends and family have compatible tastes. Unfortunately, our boys have not yet developed an appreciation for the finer things in life (chilies, fish sauce, ginger, lemon grass, etc.). I’d join Abra’s tribe, but I hate clutter. :smile:

Bruce

I've come here and tried to write something for you twice already, Jamie, but I'm at a loss as to what to say! I know, I know, 'the unexamined life', etc... but this isn't easy for me, being 1000 different people rolled into Rebecca. I love life, in all it's incarnations, and I love the process of shopping and cooking. I could spend thousands every week on food and drink, easily! I spend less than a hundred, though.

My daughter is the focus of my every day existence right now, I'm raising her and I take that job very seriously. Yes, yes, I know, frivolous Rebecca, how can that be? Well, I'm so proud of my child, she is bright, yes, but along with her Mensan brains she has a HUGE heart, and I feel a thrill at her every breath in this world. Also, I'm ill, and I haven't got a career, so we're very, um, frugal.

Kiddle is impossibly sweet and unassuming, and also impossibly spoiled. I can't help it, I spoil everyone, it makes me feel good! So, I shop accordingly. Kiddle likes artichokes? We have 'em as soon as they're in season, and for the duration, until they're awful again. Strawberries? Ditto, and we grow her favorite tomatoes. I make the foods that she loves, and she eats and her friends eat, and we're all happy.

We plan for meals out, because of budget, but we eat only good food, whether it is honest barbeque, pho, Pacific Time, Muriel's or SamVera. Very few chains, and even less Sysco pass our lips.

Now, when a guest is here for a visit, my shopping adjusts. We had a young learning disabled guest just after Christmas, and he loves the idea of what he thinks of as 'gourmet' foods, i.e. anything that he thinks is expensive, and I shopped accordingly, buying him a duck (his first cooked at home!) and genuine Prosciutto di Parma too. When one of my boys comes for a visit, I add their favorites to the mix. Of course, we are regaled with meals cooked by said boys, and paid for by said boys, as well.

So, who do I aspire to be? I think that I want to be who I am, but in my own home, with more books, lipsticks, shoes and undies, and with a career for safety. Plus, I live in the cold to be near my family, and I'd like to settle in with someone who would live in the warm with me. What is your analysis of my aspirations?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I've come here and tried to write something for you twice already, Jamie, but I'm at a loss as to what to say!  I know, I know, 'the unexamined life', etc... but this isn't easy for me, being 1000 different people rolled into Rebecca. I love life, in all it's incarnations, and I love the process of shopping and cooking. I could spend thousands every week on food and drink, easily! I spend less than a hundred, though.

My daughter is the focus of my every day existence right now, I'm raising her and I take that job very seriously. Yes, yes, I know, frivolous Rebecca, how can that be? Well, I'm so proud of my child, she is bright, yes, but along with her Mensan brains she has a HUGE heart, and I feel a thrill at her every  breath in this world. Also, I'm ill, and I haven't got a career, so we're very, um, frugal.

Kiddle is impossibly sweet and  unassuming, and also impossibly spoiled. I can't help it, I spoil everyone, it makes me feel good! So, I shop accordingly. Kiddle likes artichokes? We have 'em as soon as they're in season, and for the duration, until they're awful again. Strawberries? Ditto, and we grow her favorite tomatoes. I make the foods that she loves, and she eats and her friends eat, and we're all happy.

We plan for meals out, because of budget, but we eat only good food, whether it is honest barbeque, pho, Pacific Time, Muriel's or SamVera. Very few chains, and even less Sysco pass our lips.

Now, when a guest is here for a visit, my shopping adjusts. We had a young learning disabled guest just after Christmas, and he loves the idea of what he thinks of as 'gourmet' foods, i.e. anything that he thinks is expensive, and I shopped accordingly, buying him a duck (his first cooked at home!) and genuine Prosciutto di Parma too. When one of my boys comes for a visit, I add their favorites to the mix. Of course, we are regaled with meals cooked by said boys, and paid for by said boys, as well.

So, who do I aspire to be? I think that I want to be who I am, but in my own home, with more books, lipsticks, shoes and undies, and with a career for safety. Plus, I live in the cold to be near my family, and I'd like to settle in with someone who would live in the warm with me. What is your analysis of my aspirations?

Only that you are impossibly sweet and unassuming, and that you spoil us with your thoughts.

Thank you.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Here’s the flip side of the little Le Cirque story, up thread.

I’d just finished writing a column about Casual Fine Dining concept chains such as Earls and Cactus Club. Many of them have been incubated in Western Canada and are done well: Value-laden wine lists, organic ingredients, well – if simply – prepared food, and outstanding service training. My angle was that several of these concepts had recently hired some of the top chefs in Canada as their development heads.

For many of us, especially for families, these concepts represent a cheerful default with relatively healthy food - and they are sound value. The newer stores are decorated within an inch of their wives.

But it had never occurred to me that these restaurants, which are high-revenue chains after all, might represent an aspirational target for certain diners.

Behold. A couple of relatively new eG members, who declared themselves as younger Chinese-Canadians, registered long and thoughtful posts about how one chain, Cactus Club, represented an aspiration, because of the modulated Caucasian menu (albeit now with Asian references), the attractive young crowd and servers, the colourful cocktails and the attractive décor.

For them, the experience was a step away (and perhaps up) from some of the things that we aspire to: round eights of family bent over steamed whole fish with black bean sauce, or weekend dim sum. There was in their posts, if I’m not mistaken, a plea to escape their own traditions if just for a few hours, into this new but accepting environment that refracted who they wanted to become.

For several reasons - not least the seeming cross-over of our aspirations - I was touched by the honesty of their collective message; unfortunately, for reasons I don’t understand ('wandering' - hardly), in a kind of misinterpreted ethnic cleansing, those wonderful posts were, without discussion, taken down.

I did not sanction this event. :biggrin:

I do, however, hope that those same members find this thread, and regift their thoughts as they'd be inarguably salient here.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Interesting fashion analogies upthread.

Just as Ralph and Calvin have cashed in on the aspirations of redesigning the lives of the chattering classes, and only then clothing them in offshore cotton, I was wondering who their gastronimic equivalent mught be. Certainly the New Martha is spinning a more accessible web post her prison break.

But which purveyors really understand both the needs and aspitations of the BMW-Bourgeoisie? Who has applied their public brand most cleverly?

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

...But which purveyor really inderstands both the needs and aspitations of the BMW-Bourgeoisie? Who has applied their public brand most cleverly?

Judging from my neighbors here and in South Beach, Land Rover, Hummer, Prada, Louis Vuitton and Gucci. The entree into being seen as wealthy seems paved with an expensive purse and accompanying car, in the suburban mind.

EDITED TO ADD: Whoops, you meant food! Brandwise? Even Wolfgang Puck is doing poorly, with those horrid coffee drinks and such. I really think that it's brand name vodkas. It's distilled alcohol, and the point is a LACK of indentifying flavor. And yet, the marketing! No one is getting the food marketing thing down the way Wolfgang almost had it a few years ago, in my opinion.

I'm sure that someone will mention Starbucks, but I don't agree. I find their espresso is actually very good, and the accompanying backlash to their success confounds me and points, in my mind, to the typical "I'm so esoteric and far ahead of the pack, I CAN'T stand the big guy." I mean, really, they've given us espresso! Italian roasts! Varietal beans! And a decent business ethos as well.

Ah, here it is: the benchmark for if you are an aspirator: Haagen Dazs. As good as the marketing of the fake euro name. Sorry, but there IS a place where you pass the decent amount of butterfat mark, and head into that terrible Cold Stone place of a too coated tongue, and overly sweetened flavor. Still, it's great junk food!

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

My culinary aspirations mimic my Target and Marc Jacobs wardrobe.

I make a year what starlets spend on a purse, but could not resist buying a beautiful piece of halibut at the fish market yesterday - which I poached in saffron, white wine and fennel seeds. To go with it? White rice that I purchased for about a dollar from Aldi's. You have to have priorities.

I live in the land of the chain restaurant: Columbus, Ohio. If I drive out of my apartment and go down the street, I am bombarded by Applebee's, Hoggy's, Steak and Shake, KFC, Fazoli's, and a stand along Panda Express. Granted in a drunken stupor I recently discovered that Chipotle isn't so bad, but most of the time I beg off dinner with friends because I can't stand to pay $12 for a mediocre meal when I could buy the ingredients for less than half and make it better.

Again, it all comes down to priorities and willingness to try new things. A pre-fab soup heated up in a chain restaurant kitchen is not a new thing to try, a recipe in the latest issue of a magazine or decent food section is (and will likely taste ten times better to boot).

I own a KitchenAid (handed down), a decent set of cookware, and a load of Fiestaware for dishes (all of which are factory seconds and don't match). My counter top is the home of sesame seed oil, extra virgin olive oil, pumpkin seed oil (brought back from Vienna), rice vinegar, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, thai chili paste, red curry paste, kosher salt, and more spices than a single poor girl should have. The pantry above comprises pastas and grains (cheap, yet easy to fix up...kinda like me).

The rice and grains are my Target gaucho pants and the oils and fresh meat and produce are my Marc Jacobs jean jacket and shoe collection. Once you put them together, everything looks and feels luxurious.

Shannon

my new blog: http://uninvitedleftovers.blogspot.com

"...but I'm good at being uncomfortable, so I can't stop changing all the time...be kind to me, or treat me mean...I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine."

-Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine

The rice and grains are my Target gaucho pants and the oils and fresh meat and produce are my Marc Jacobs jean jacket and shoe collection. Once you put them together, everything looks and feels luxurious.

Shannon

Want a job? Outstanding. May you long luxe simply. :smile:

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Interesting fashion analogies upthread.

Just as Ralph and Calvin have cashed in on the aspirations of redesigning the lives of the chattering classes, and only then clothing them in offshore cotton, I was wondering who their gastronimic equivalent mught be. Certainly the New Martha is spinning a more accessible web post her prison break.

But which purveyors really understand both the needs and aspitations of the BMW-Bourgeoisie? Who has applied their public brand most cleverly?

Ina Garten may not be a mega-brand by any stretch of the imagination, but she's certainly popular. I would say that she has done an excellent job of branding her entertaining style as relaxed but sumptuous.

Caviar on blini, but consumed around the kitchen island while the host puts the finishing touches on dinner. Fabulous guest lists, but everyone pitches in - the amazing floral designer does the table, Eli Zabar brings the bread, and so on.

Her brand name, though borrowed from an Ava Gardner film and sold to her bundled with the first store she bought in Westhampton, says it all: the Barefoot Contessa.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I don't look that hot in Blahniks anymore; I find them quite slippery on the rugby pitch, especially during the inclement months, even if an attractive pair of sling-backs makes for a useful swinging weapon in the scrum. My well-sculpted muffin top does no favours for my low-cut Diesels, either.

I can, however, recognize a BoBo at 50 paces. Ina qualifies. But Giada has a more attractive forehead.

Not incidentally, while a BoBo might be caught dead in a Whole Foods, he would never be taken alive.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Call me an anti-elitist elitist.

Or maybe more accurately, I'm not into conspicuous displays of status via consumer goods.  (I much prefer using verbal and linguistic skills to do this, sprinkled with the occasional bit of name-dropping here and there [viz. my personal e-mail address-- sandysmith80 @ post . harvard . edu].)

Cunning linguist aside, Sandy, I had absolutely no idea you were a pilot. Trainee or instructor?

They booted me from the club because I kept making fun of the Yalies.

One reason I was prompted to post this topic was Frank Bruni's introduction to a scathing (mile wide and inch deep) review of Morimoto's new Manhattan outpost today in the Times:

"It's a stunning piece of work: a sparkly wonderland for glittery people, who always get the word and always hop onboard. They drink their bright cocktails, fiddle with their chopsticks, survey their compatriots and tap-tap into their cellphones and other devices, presumably checking on the whereabouts of less fortunate friends, perhaps informing them that the place to be is right here, right now. It's Morimoto's moment."

Stephen Starr shrugged.

Each has his or her own pupose for being there though. Mainly, I strongly suspect they are looking for people who look just like them.

Or slightly more so.

Isn't that the way of the world?

Anent your tax-bracket comment further downthread: I don't worry too much about dining or socializing outside it--I figure I will do that a lot.

<StatusShowoff="namedropper">

As I said to my classmates in Cambridge last June,

</StatusShowoff>

I occasionally worry that my income and net worth are dragging down the class averages. (That drew a laugh from everyone else in the small group discussion where I made it.)

But the truth is, I don't worry about that much, if at all. After all, a typical Harvard graduating class is actually quite diverse: One of my closer classmates had working for the Chicago Transit Authority as his lifelong dream, which he achieved (unfortunately, his life was cut short when he stepped on the third rail near CTA headquarters earlier this year), and another works as an illustrator and cartoonist for a small newspaper in western Massachusetts--hardly upper-echelon occupations, either of them. Besides the name on our diploma, what we all have in common is that we are doing (or did, in my Chicago classmate's case) the things we truly enjoy.

Everyone should be that fortunate.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Here’s the flip side of the little Le Cirque story, up thread.

[There are some Canadian chains that do casual fine dining well.]

But it had never occurred to me that these restaurants, which are high-revenue chains after all, might represent an aspirational target for certain diners.

Behold. A couple of relatively new eG members, who declared themselves as younger Chinese-Canadians, registered long and thoughtful posts about how one chain, Cactus Club, represented an aspiration, because of the modulated Caucasian menu (albeit now with Asian references), the attractive young crowd and servers, the colourful cocktails and the attractive décor.

For them, the experience was a step away (and perhaps up) from some of the things that we aspire to: round eights of family bent over steamed whole fish with black bean sauce, or weekend dim sum. There was in their posts, if I’m not mistaken, a plea to escape their own traditions if just for a few hours, into this new but accepting environment that refracted who they wanted to become.

For several reasons - not least the seeming cross-over of our aspirations - I was touched by the honesty of their collective message; unfortunately, for reasons I don’t understand ('wandering' - hardly), in a kind of misinterpreted ethnic cleansing, those wonderful posts were, without discussion, taken down.

I did not sanction this event.  :biggrin:

I do, however, hope that those same members find this thread, and regift their thoughts as they'd be inarguably salient here.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, no?

(According to the patron saint of harried-but-not-desperate suburban housewives, the late Erma Bombeck, the grass is always greener over the septic tank.)

Seriously, they're only evidencing the same adventurousness that animates so many of us. It's just that they're starting from a different base point.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Aspirational eating/living style: low on the food and hype chains. I like eating at home, reading about what I eat, what other cultures eat, and why, and how. I like learning stuff; it's fun. I was a horrible match for my ex-husband, who lived to eat out as often as possible and loved lavishly-decorated restaurants. He also loved bright shiny objects.

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"

Did you check out the barbequed salmon recipe? Dammit, I hate living so far inland!

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

Hmm. When dining out I aspire to be grateful. When eating out I try to only eat things I can't/don't make at home, and hopefully they are prepared so well that happiness and gratitude are the end results, aside from being really full.

At home I aspire to have fun, try new things, and please those whom I'm cooking for. Just a hangin' out around the fridge and stove, I reckon. I have a 48" Viking, but it's filthy (well-loved), still haven't decided what kind of countertops I want so we use plywood, the floor (sans-plywood) is coming next Tuesday.

! don't shop for things like clothes unless I've outgrown them ( :shock: ) or they've gone to shreds. Sounds like the Ragamuffin type. <g>

I know exactly the "type" of person you refer to, Jamie, as we have identified where they go out to eat and avoid that place or two...which isn't all that difficult as the food reads like more of the same old crap, like what you mentioned somewhere else here...Ubiquitous! I reckon we should call it that instead of old crap.

Well, I've thought some more and that seems to be about it--I aspire to be grateful, thankful even, and to get better and cook for people and make them happy. And take whatever comes along and go wherever possible.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Did you check out the barbequed salmon recipe? Dammit, I hate living so far inland!

Check out this Potlatch in Manhattan Salmon Recipe. [Menu - Scroll]

Anthro 401; afterward I will surely aspire to stand.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

At home I aspire to have fun, try new things, and please those whom I'm cooking for.  Just a hangin' out around the fridge and stove, I reckon.  I have a 48" Viking, but it's filthy (well-loved), still haven't decided what kind of countertops I want so we use plywood, the floor (sans-plywood) is coming next Tuesday.

I forgot to add that I aspire to get through college before I get my AARP membership card, which will arrive in two years. Then I aspire to get a job that pays more than $10/hour. And then I'll aspire to replace the 20-year-old car. Later, maybe, I'll aspire to acquire a filthy Viking as well, but he'll have to be over 4 feet tall, because one should have standards. Then a stove.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

And furthermore, regarding the Potlatch in Manhattan Salmon recipe, I aspire to eventually live someplace closer to fish!!!

[off to wipe the drool from the keyboard]

Edited by Philanthrophobe (log)

I've tried to write this several times, let's see if I can get it out this time....

When I was growing up, my food choices were limited but not awful. We were presented with a series of hearty, healthy, wholesome, but ultimately uninspired and underseasoned meals....and I knew there was more out there, because I read. Still, I happily chowed down on homegrown Jersey corn and tomatoes, cucumbers and bell peppers, appreciating their unique tastes even as I was complaining about Not Another Tomato Platter.

Fast forward to Silicon Valley in the late 80s, early 90s. It was the boom, and I was in the middle of it...not just computers, but food. Everywhere there were new tastes, new cuisines I'd never tried, restaurant srunning the gamut from hole in the wall to four start, farmer's markets, produce markets, ethnic markets - a bounty of culinary resources, and I had the other resources to take advantage of as many of them as possible. I developed an actual palate, and learned to appreciate so many different cuisines.

And now, times have changed. Medical issues have resulted in a change in diet, I now live in an area with few culinary resources, and the other resources are being put towards other priorities. Yet in many ways I'm a better cook because I can't just rely on the ingredients to carry the weight of a dish - I have to COOK it. While I admit to some envy of those who don't have to plan very far ahead when they want to go out for an elaborate meal, I also have to admit that I really, really like the food we're eating now.

So I guess my tribe is Bloom Where You Are Planted. Circumstances change, resources change, but I can change with them and still maintain the level of food I desire. Now that I think of it, this is a variation on a long held value of mine: Be Happy Anyway.

As for aspirations, I maintain two lists: one is restaurants around the world I'd like to eat at someday, and one is foods I want to try someday. The former includes Tetsuya and the buffet at the Bellagio in Las Vegas; the latter includes Moreton Bay Bugs, Kobe beef, and deep fried Twinkies. My tastes are nothing if not eclectic, and many of these goals are on the list simply because I haven't had or pursued the opportunity yet.

I'm not sure what that says about me, other than I'm a work in progress. (So's my fashion sense, but that's another essay.)

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

And furthermore, regarding the Potlatch in Manhattan Salmon recipe, I aspire to eventually live someplace closer to fish!!!

Shhh. People in Manhattan aspire to as well.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine