• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

100 Hours in Miami South Beach

raji

Hello my fellow gulleteers in the Sunshine State!

I was hoping some of you could enlighten me. Starting Thursday, I'll have 100 hours, staying in Miami South Beach, with trips up to Port St. Lucie and Osceola County Stadium for spring training games.

The only place I KNOW I want to go to is this sandwich shop I'm absolutely addicted to:

http://miami.citysearch.com/profile/250471...ndwicherie.html

Which is approximately where I'm staying.

I will have no car except Sat/Sun to drive up to the games.

Not interested in getting Japanese, Chinese, or Indian down there, constantly getting the good stuff up here in NY.

Would really like to know what the favorite haunts of fellow egulleteers are given those conditions, from cheap to mid-luxe

Would appreciate your advice!!

My favorites down there:

Cheap - La Puerta Sagua - on 5th and Washington, I think. Excellent cheap Cuban food. I love the ropa vieja and plantains.

Pizza Rustica on Lincoln Road - fantastic selection of pizzas

Great outdoor breakfasts - Front Porch Cafe - Ocean Drive and around 12th

I have friends who love the News Cafe - food's not bad, beer's cheap, and the view is fantastic. On Ocean and 7th or 8th, I think.

Moderate to Expensive - Escopazzo - Washington and 12th - excellent gourmet Italian - our anniversary favorite

Mark's - in a hotel that I can't remember the name of, sure you can find it easily

Ultra-Expensive - Vix - at the Hotel Victor - upstairs is a smaller version with the same ceviche selections - probably also great but cheaper

"God give us good taste, why bother?" Captain Jim's Sushi Chef

Thank you for your suggestions!

- La Puerta Sagua, I think I went to this place last year - is it a couple blocks from the Day's Inn, with a couple of nightclubs on that same block (Club Nerve, I'm sure that narrows it down)? I think it was big enough to have bands. Also huge Sangrias? If so, yes this place was great I'll be back...

Front Porch sounds good...

News Cafe I'm sure I've been to...also good - don't like Jerry's

Is Escopazzo the white tablecloth place right next to Crobar? If so, I went there too...

Any others?

The sandwiches at Le Sandwicherie are the bomb! Had the saucisson sec - fantastic. Their vinaigrette is addictive.

I really enjoyed Social for global tapas - the Chef is Chef Sean Mohammed, who worked with Troisgros and Collichio and ran the Lake Placid Lodge in upstate NY. The jerk lobster skewers and tuna/watermelon dish were great. Nice cocktails and a great room, too. Not outrageously expensive, though pricey.

After relocating from 3rd and Ocean to 16th and Washington I finally made it to Le Sandwicherie today!!! Got a Saucisson Sec + Camembert with everything on it but Olives, and a rainbox shake. So great. I think it comes down to the ingredients they use - from the really tasty french bread they use, to the tasty vegetables and cornichons, but that Saucisson sec was ridiculously delicious.

My bad on Puerta Sagua - you're right it's at 5th and Washington, I have been there 4 years ago, I will try to make it there tomorrow...

Is there a place on par with this in New York?