• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookie Question

dvs

sorry if this has been asked & answered before...

i'm wondering what i can use to replace 2/3 cup of brown sugar in the following oatmeal cookie recipe:

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter

2/3 cup tightly packed light brown sugar

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats

1 cup raisins

bananas? apple sauce? if so, how much?

thanks in advance for any help!

I would replace the 2/3 c brown sugar with just a bit less of regular sugar (maybe 1 tbsp less)and about 1 tbsp of molasses. However, with the suggested replacements that you included in your post, perhaps you are looking for a non sugar replacement?

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

I would replace the 2/3 c brown sugar with just a bit less of regular sugar (maybe 1 tbsp less)and about 1 tbsp of molasses. However, with the suggested replacements that you included in your post, perhaps you are looking for a non sugar replacement?

yeah, sorry... i'm looking for a non sugar replacement.

Substituting fruit for sugar will change the texture completely. Tweety's idea will retain the ususal result of that recipe. Sugar is needed to umm, liquify the dough a bit. Fruit would be ok but it will kind of gummify the dough, y'know? If you want to do a fruit cookie, you kinda need to start with a fruit cookie formula--then start tweaking. What about Splenda, you just use an equal amount. You can make some dynamite stuff with that. Or how about honey? Honey & molasses? But you would wanna read a recipe that has honey in it & compare the two recipes & tweak away.

But what you wanna do is read a bunch of recipes--all kinds of oatmeal cookie recipes--gives you a grip on what is normally required--then using those as your plumb line--put together the ingredients you want to use within the parameters of the recipes you collected. And incorporate the method for using the different ingredients too.

Something like that maybe.

I substitute Whey Low Gold brown sugar substitue for brown sugar, but do not pack it. It tastes so good, I use it instead of white sugar or white sugar substitutes also, although not in baking.

Available on line at WheyLow.com

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali