• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking a western meal for Chinese grandmother

Kent Wang

My parents and I will be going to visit the rest of our family in Shanghai in early April. During that time, my grandmother will be celebrating her 80th birthday. She was the one who taught my mother how to cook, who in turn was the one that taught me so I'd like to cook her some western dishes to show what I have learned in America. What dishes do you think would be a good idea? A few limitations I must consider are what ingredients will be available in Shanghai, whether I need to bring some ingredients with me from the States and what Western dishes would appeal to her Chinese tastes.

My mom also tells me that Grandma has high tryglyceride levels and so should not limit her fat intake. She recommends seafood and dessert.

A few dishes I am considering are:

Blackened fish. Most Chinese fish is steamed so this would be quite different. I'd only need to bring some Old Bay Seasoning.

Crab cakes. All Chinese love crab but I don't think she will have ever had crab cakes before.

Hamburger. She may have had McDonald's burgers before but not a real homemade burger. Are hamburger buns, Worcestershire sauce and liquid smoke available in China?

I rarely bake so I only know a few dessert recipes.

Pumpkin pie. Very American. I'd only need to bring a can of pumpkin puree. Can one buy pre-made pie shells in Shanghai?

I would stay away from baking anything, unless you know for sure that there is a reliable oven available to you....

Also, do some research in seeing what type of dishes/ingredients your grandmother likes and what she can't stand. If she's very particular about what she likes, you may consider doing some Chinese/Western fusion type dishes. My grandmother from Hong Kong is currently staying with us and cooking for her isn't easy....

My grandmother - an excellent Chinese cook - had a repertoire of about four non-Chinese dishes and they were the only ones she and my grandfather liked. Prime rib - which would be difficult to do because you probably will have a hard time getting the meat, and she probably doesn't have an oven; roast turkey (ditto); pot roast (ditto) and fried chicken, which we always ate with spaghetti with tomato sauce (until I moved away from home, I thought this was a traditional fried chicken accomaniment, until my Western friends told me otherwise).

Fried chicken is do-able (and most people like it), unless you can't get chickens due to bird flu.

When we were in Italy, they ate (for the first time) fried seafood (dipped in egg and then breadcrumbs). They liked that a lot too.

How about Chicken Fricassee? If your Grandmother finds it too bland, then a few drops of soy sauce can fix it, and it goes well on rice. And maybe brownies? You might be able to bring some with you. Or -- make fudge. That is just stove top and refrigeration.

Please keep us posted on what you finally do and how your Grandmother liked it. I'm sure she will be delighted at what you are doing.

Actually, are you sure you want to be cooking something Western? I say that because your grandmother might appreciate your preparing some traditional family recipes instead. Since she's getting on in age, she might derive pleasure from seeing the family traditions being passed on to the next generation.

Thanks for the input. I'm emailing my mom for more information.

Actually, are you sure you want to be cooking something Western? I say that because your grandmother might appreciate your preparing some traditional family recipes instead. Since she's getting on in age, she might derive pleasure from seeing the family traditions being passed on to the next generation.

I think I'll cook her a Chinese meal too. I'll have lots of time in Shanghai to do both.

I would go with red sauced pastas, not the creamy white stuff. What Chinese doesn't like noodles.

Another option is making pasta Aglio Olio. I figure olive oil flavored with garlic and some chilli should be fine.

Many older Chinese people don't like the aroma of EVOO; and being Shanghainese, she's probably not a fan of chili.

Chinese seniors are probably the most difficult people to introduce new foods to as they have developed set patterns in their diets over their long lives (you know, the Yin-Yang dyad, humors, hot-cold spectrum, etc.) . Having lived a long life abiding by their beliefs, they are reticent about upsetting the apple cart, so to speak. If it were me, I would not even try to serve her western meals. Treat her to some of the great restaurants in Shanghai.

Kent, I hope that you are doing your bit of filial piety and will throw a banquet in her honour. "Face" is far, far, far more important than food. A banquet at the beginning of your visit will earn her great face, and set you up with enormous amounts of brownie points.

I agree that if you cook a Chinese meal, your grandmother will be very impressed that you made such an effort.

As far as western dishes goes, I would suggest though, that you don’t do the blackened fish, only because your grandmother may think you burned it (which is what my father would have said) and also may not be able to handle the spices. She’ll probably love the crab cakes. You can also grill an entire grilled fish, or make fish and chips.

How 'bout a ratatouille? Very healthful, and you can use basically whatever vegetables you find.

If you can get chicken, chicken marsala worked well with my mom.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

The partner's dad is a pretty traditional eater, but he likes deep fried chicken a lot, so I'd agree with that recommendation. Oh, but you're trying to avoid fats? Crab cakes seem like a good idea too. I'd stay away from pumpkin pie, seriously, I don't know a single non-American (and I know a lot of them) that likes it. After years and years (12!) I can get some appreciation for my every-bit-made-from-scratch pie but not much. Pecan tarts are way more favored and pecans are a native nut here, and they travel well. Other simple things like English toffee go over well, and you could pre-make it.

I have to agree with Ben though, the most appreciated things done for the elders in the Chinese side family have been things that give a lot of face and show filial piety. They tend to have nothing to do with how the food tastes, if food is involved. You know, things she can brag about to her friends or ways she can show you off.

Good luck!

trillium

Crab cakes, and you can make your own fresh mayonnaise, she will love that! Most of my Chinese friends ADORE mayonnaise, to distraction! Hmm, why is that?Just be sure not to let her it by the spoonful. My friend May got so ill once, she just didn't realize how rich mayonnaise is, even after watching me make it!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I am a westerner who lived for one year with my husband parents and grandma'. They are very traditional when it comes to food, before me they didn't have much exposure to western or better saying Italian food. Grandma' in particular is very difficult, she is from Beijing but lived almost all her life in Shanghai and she moved to the States at late age.

After one year grandma' really start liking many of my dishes. It's incredible of how much chinese and Italians (not italian americans :biggrin: ) have in common.

I try to cook things that are similar but different in flavor.

Examples

Tortellini in brodo intead of wonton soup. I make a stock of capon and simmer for 6-7 hours, make minuscules tortellini

Coda alla vaccinara, it's not really an oxtal soup, more dense and it's very good

Risotto (with fish, vegetables, alla milanese, you name it), very different than the way chineses eat rice

Dessert, if you don't have an oven, you can make a creme caramel, that can be steamed

Sorry.....maybe you were just interested in american kind of food, I alway relate to my own experince on the matter.

I think you guys are right, so I'm whittling my entree choices down to crab cakes. I'll have to reconsider if I should make another entree.

I'd like to make risotto but when I made it for my parents they disliked the large amount of olive oil and cheese used. I suppose I could cut down on the oil and remove the parm cheese entirely. For additional flavor, I can add in Chinese sausage. I'm sure Grandma's eaten a lot of rice porridge but risotto would be very different, much more flavorful.

As for dessert, I think I'll make a pecan pie. It is very Texas.

All of these dishes, I'm going to try on my parents first before attempting them in China.

I'd like to make risotto but when I made it for my parents they disliked the large amount of olive oil and cheese used. I suppose I could cut down on the oil and remove the parm cheese entirely. For additional flavor, I can add in Chinese sausage. I'm sure Grandma's eaten a lot of rice porridge but risotto would be very different, much more flavorful.

Risotto doesn't mean you have to use cheese. Generally risotto is never cooked with oil, but butter, except for fish risotto that doesn't use butter but oil and no cheese.

Just to give you an idea, this is really a good one with italian rock lobster and wild asparagus, sorry it's in italian but picture are very helpful.

http://www.gennarino.org/forum/viewtopic.p...ghlight=risotto

Good luck for your dinner

Edited by Franci (log)

I highly recommend neutral flavors. Crab cakes sound like they would be fine. Also Clam Chowder. Shanghai is known for its crab and clam preparations, so these two dishes would be perfect.

Chinese aren't exactly known for their sweet tooths, however, and I think pecan pie may be too sweet for her. Perhaps something like an American rice pudding would make an interesting contrast to the traditional Chinese Eight Treasure rice pudding. (It's also good if she's missing a few teeth!)

Edited by sheetz (log)

What about a ravioli with a non-cheese ( :raz: ) filling and a simple tomato-based sauce? Chinese eat tomato, and the ravioli would sort of be like a Western version of the traditional dumpling. She might find it interesting.

There's also always duck.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

What about a ravioli with a non-cheese ( :raz: ) filling and a simple tomato-based sauce? Chinese eat tomato, and the ravioli would sort of be like a Western version of the traditional dumpling. She might find it interesting.

There's also always duck.

Chinese do eat tomatoes, but most Chinese I know don't like Italian style tomato sauces.

As for dessert, I think I'll make a pecan pie. It is very Texas.

All of these dishes, I'm going to try on my parents first before attempting them in China.

You might consider a tart instead of a pie. That way you avoid the excess super sweet jelly stuff, and just get glazed nuts and a little sweet stuff underneath. I think it might be more popular (think Cantonese nut and seed mooncake). I usually make a shortcrust pastry in a tart tin, fill it with pre-roasted pecan halves, and then pour just a little of the gooey stuff on top to coat the nuts. All the ethnic Chinese I've served it to have loved it, but they are our age, not your Granny's.

It's funny, we were talking last night about how I don't like the smell of the meat from the pig we got this year, and the parnter thought it was pretty mild for a male pig. Then he started talking about how he knows many people back home who won't eat beef or lamb because they think it has a nasty smell, and some who even hate the smell of butter. All of this is a round about way of saying if you decide to go with a tart or pie, ascertain if your Granny can tolerate the smell of butter in a pastry crust, otherwise, just use lard!

I'm very curious to hear how this all goes, so please report back! All of us with elderly Asian relatives can learn from your successes (or erm, failures).

regards,

trillium

Chinese do eat tomatoes, but most Chinese I know don't like Italian style tomato sauces.

I agree with Sheetz on the Italian tomato sauce. My Mom (97) loves tomato beef stir-fry, but her stomach does not tolerate tomato sauce.

Clam can be rubbery in chowder, so it may be difficult for Grandma's. Fish chowder would be a better choice. Again, I would make Boston and not Manhattan style.

Someone upthread mentioned creme brulee. That would be a good dessert- much like egg tarts. My Mom loves it.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com