• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Someone's having a laugh......which food

Not trying to get all heavy and whatnot, but why are some people so down on white chocolate?  So it doesn't have the cocoa solids - it still has the cocoa butter, right?  And all the technicalities aside, it is still smooth and creamy and tastes good.

Because I disagree...I don't think it tastes good.

Pot-ay-to, pot-ah-to.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Not trying to get all heavy and whatnot, but why are some people so down on white chocolate?  So it doesn't have the cocoa solids - it still has the cocoa butter, right?  And all the technicalities aside, it is still smooth and creamy and tastes good.

Anyway, I'm a heathen - carry on.

I'm a heathen too, then. I love white chocolate, that is, good white chocolate. Course, the name's kind of a like a bait-and-switch for true cocoa-solid-fans, so I'd guess that's where the rancor comes from?

It's really just "butter" and sugar, and that's a pretty tasty combo for me. I don't like "real" chocolate anyhow; I'd much rather have some good white chocolate any day. To each her own--plus, that's more chocolate for the rest of you.

I also am perfectly happy that other people like white chocolate even if I'm the one who first mentioned it in this thread along with fake Parmesan in cans. No comparison was intended.

To me, it's just too sweet and doesn't have enough of a distinctive taste of its own to merit interest. I do prefer bittersweet and semi-sweet to milk chocolate, too.

Thanks for the offer of more! :wub:

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath