• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Someone's having a laugh......which food

Those green things filled with fake powdered Parmesan by Kraft.

Wedges of Parmesan made in Wisconsin.

Containers of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, especially processed through larger holes.

Luncheables.

Oscar Mayer bologna...or pimento loaf.

Lock up the person who changed the consistency of the Heirloom applesauce at Whole Foods, too, and feed her/him bottled baby food for an entire year.

Chili on top of spaghetti.

White chocolate.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Mike, I guess you have to be a champion to drink all night and then load your stomach down in the early morning with...cow's stomach stew. I never could eat menudo, back in my long-ago pre-kosher days. The mere smell of it would make me flee.

Well...You do kind of have to eat it with your eyes closed!

gallery_39050_2669_17875.jpg

-Mike & Andrea

Last month, the restaurant where I work specially ordered some sort of truffle that was black, oozy looking and smelled like a high school football teams locker room. It cost a $30 (for one) and I had to accept the cook's word that it tasted better than it looked since there was no way I could taste anything that smelled like THAT. :shock:

If only I'd worn looser pants....

Chili on top of spaghetti.

Them's fightin' words, Pontormo. I'm a Cincinnatian. Add a little cheese and you have yourself a 3-way. :wink: *

I do agree with you on this:

White chocolate.

Shoot, it's not even really chocolate!

*Okay, that's not what this thread is about. But still.

Edited by FabulousFoodBabe (log)
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

AMERICAN PROCESS CHEESE FOOD SLICES.uuurrgggg

horrible nonmeltable plastic orange colored sheets

just too strange

what the heck is cheese food?

oh yeah, let's not forget Nabisco EAZY CHEESE SPRAY CHEESE in the convenient aerosol can for adding that classy touch to your cheese & crackers platter!

Suzanne

^ :laugh: I've heard of canned spray cheese, but I've never tasted it, nor seen it in person. I don't think many grocery stores here in Vancouver carry that product.

What does it taste like? Rubbery, mucous-like processed cheese? Is it extra salty?

Edited by Ling (log)

^ :laugh: I've heard of canned spray cheese, but I've never tasted it, nor seen it in person. I don't think many grocery stores here in Vancouver carry that product.

What does it taste like? Rubbery, mucous-like processed cheese? Is it extra salty?

It's really disgusting, Ling. I haven't had it since I was a kid, or maybe my college days (same thing?). I think you got the taste right without ever having tried it. The novelty of this product is that it sprays through a star tip, so you can make pretty designs on your cracker.

I have to confess that I do like white chocolate. I know it isn’t really chocolate, but I like it nonetheless.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

It's really disgusting, Ling. I haven't had it since I was a kid, or maybe my college days (same thing?). I think you got the taste right without ever having tried it. The novelty of this product is that it sprays through a star tip, so you can make pretty designs on your cracker.

I have to confess that I do like white chocolate. I know it isn’t really chocolate, but I like it nonetheless.

Me too!!! I have a big soft spot for white chocolate.

All fat free products. Low fat I can handle but fat free?? I'd rather go without or have something else.

American cheese slices

Grape flavoured things

Fruit flavored anything. Maybe I should say froot-flavored.

Margarine.

Vienna sausages--we say Vie-anny here--the kind in the small can, little soft finger shaped things. Glurk.

Cheap milk chocolate that tastes like parafin.

Kool-aid. Jello. (Fits in the froot flavored category.)

Canned spaghetti/ravioli products.

sparrowgrass

Vienna sausages--we say Vie-anny here--the kind in the small can, little soft finger shaped things.  Glurk.

Canned spaghetti/ravioli products.

Maybe it's because of my (quite traditional) Chinese parents, but I've never tasted a Vienna sausage. They come canned? Are they preserved in some sort of liquid? :wacko:

Canned ravioli...ugggh. I had Chef Boyardee once, when I was 6 or so and staying over at my aunt's house. I took a bite and asked my grandma if I could have some congee instead. Even when I was a kid, I knew that meat shouldn't be gray paste!

Some more to the list...

-canned tuna in water

-Red Delicious apples (at least the ones we get in Vancouver)

-gas station sushi (I kid you not)

Big Turk candy bars are vile. I don't know if they are available outside of Canada. They are made by Nestle and they are basically a faux turkish delight jelly covered in "chocolate".

gas station sushi (I kid you not)

At least I hope the person pumping the gas is not the same person who makes your sushi.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Until last year I thought I didn't like grilled cheese sandwiches, because when I was about 5 I had lunch at the babysitter's and was served a Velveeta grilled "cheese" sandwich. I still have a memory of how I froze at how horrible it was--and the G.C. Trauma didn't end until I made a grilled cheese the way I thought it should be made. Pretty good stuff if you use real cheese!

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

I know someone who likes spray cheese. No I havn't tried it. But i believe it is made of some kind of oil product (ie contains no dairy).

How about spray marshmellow? I saw a can at a store and on the side - honest - it said "Wonderful on Steak".

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Vienna sausages--we say Vie-anny here--the kind in the small can, little soft finger shaped things.  Glurk.

That's what they called them in western Kentucky where I grew up. Some of the kids with whom I went to school would have them in their lunch box - back then there was a key stuck on one end and a tab on the side of the can which fit into the key, which was then wound around the can to get the top off. Very sharp edges but I never recall anyone getting cut. Of course today that would be considered too "dangerous" for a child to handle and forbidden in school. (Along with pocket knives and all the other stuff my boy cousins used to carry in their pockets.

I think I tried one of the sausages once but didn't care for it because it didn't taste like the home-made sausages I liked.

The "potted meat" that came in similar cans was also pretty horrible.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Two or three years ago there was something in the news here about a company that was trying to market vending machines for packaged sushi.

Blech! Not that I consume much sushi anyway - no seafood for me. But it just sounded like too many things could go wrong.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Too horrible to contemplate? A few of my least favorite things-

UNI (I've tried it in every season hours fresh... Still tastes awful!)

Thermonuclear hot sauce (It should taste like something, not licking the sun)

Lutefisk (Stark white awful)

Mexican food over 200 miles from the border

Seafish anywhere more than a day's drive from the water

Chinese food with a Chinese population of under 50 in the town (from life on the road... ever had sweet and sour sauce that's just ketchup?)

Gar.... Catch and clean the gar, nail it to a wooden board. Roast at 350 for 8 minutes a pound. Remove nails. Eat board. (Feh-- awful fish, yukko!)

Those chemical orange "Circus Peanuts". There isn't enough money in the world...

hvr

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

No, it's just pre-packaged sushi that's sold at gas stations. So wrong!

I'll add this line to yours:

No, it's just pre-packaged sushi that's sold at gas stations (In Montana!!). So Wrong!

Yes. Montana at a truck stop. Sushi. Yes my friend tried it. Yes he regretted it for 6 days after.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Not trying to get all heavy and whatnot, but why are some people so down on white chocolate? So it doesn't have the cocoa solids - it still has the cocoa butter, right? And all the technicalities aside, it is still smooth and creamy and tastes good.

Guess what, "ground cherries" are not the same species as regular cherries. Are we turning our noses up at those, too?

Anyway, I'm a heathen - carry on.