• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Someone's having a laugh......which food

Is baby corn readily available in supermarkets? I don't remember seeing it, ever. But then, I don't much care for it, so I might have seen it and just not registered it.

Re the baby corn: Do you dislike it because you believe all corn should be able to reach its full adult potential before removal for boiling, roasting, creaming or popping ... or because something about those baby corns just pisses you off? Perhaps the husks for baby corn don't make a tamale of reasonable size?

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Margarine.  Solidified oils with artificial color and flavor spread on bread.  Abomination.

I'm with you on this. The stuff is awful.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Margarine. Blech!

I agree that low-fat cheese and sour cream are evil. Yet I do buy them, because I should theoretically watch my fat intake, so my reasoning goes that if I buy that stuff I can eat things like butter and foie gras with less guilt.

Low-fat cookies. What’s the point?

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Good topic, props to Mike Hunt.

Margarine - yes Abra totally agree, it is the devil's Brylcreem.

Canned frosting - Ling once again you speak the virtuous truth.

$1+ bottled water - srhcb you are preaching to the converted.

But worse than all of those, is:

RED BEANS IN DESSERTS!

...But worse than all of those, is:

RED BEANS IN DESSERTS!

Red bean paste, cut into tiny cubes, and dipped into shaved dark chocolate, when no one is around to tell me not to-YUM!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I work at a spa that still believes in the non-fat craze that consumed the country a few years ago. You wanna talk abominations? Let's talk fat-free mayonnaise, fat-free cheese of all kinds, fat-free sour cream, and the worst of all, fat-free half & half. EWWW. All of them are just horrific.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

... and the worst of all, fat-free half & half.

:shock:

What's it made of? :unsure:

I think it contains either corn syrup or corn startch. Or both.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

What's wrong with liver? I love liver...and snails.  :wub:

I love liver but have always disliked snails and frogs, in any form or style. I'm pretty sure I remember there being another thread about foodstuffs that should be abolished, but I'm not sure what the thread title was. There are various foodstuffs that I hate but wouldn't call for the abolition of. For example, I think raw oysters are revolting, but why would I want to deprive those who like them of their pleasure? The things I'd love to see abolished would include artificial colors and flavors, gummy cream cheese (give me the ungummy kind), Velveeta, American "cheese," and trans fatty acids (no, not you, transfattyacid!) as ingredients in products. I don't think anyone considers these things irreplaceable delicacies. Then again, most of these things aren't that difficult to avoid. I'll be happy if Pepperidge Farm switches the trans fatty acids for real butter, though.

Michael aka "Pan"

Menudo, or as it's known in Venezuela, mondongo. Erg, the memory of the smell is enough to make me feel like this: :wacko: "Menudo, Breakfast of Champions"...excuse me (exiting quickly).

Miriam

Edited by Miriam Kresh (log)

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

Menudo, or as it's known in Venezuela, mondongo. Erg, the memory of the smell is enough to make me feel like this:  :wacko:  "Menudo, Breakfast of Champions"...excuse me (exiting quickly).

Miriam

This is the most amazing hangover cure, breakfast of champions indeed! :biggrin: Get the extra patika<sp>/trotters with it.

mike

-Mike & Andrea

I want to know how they make fat free Cool Whip--isn't it made from vegetable oil of some kind? Is there anyone near a frozen food case who could just sneak a peek at the ingredient list?

(I saw this item on the Sandy Ho Show, and have been stumped ever since)

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Yes. Skim milk, "milk solids" whatever those are, and LOTS of corn syrup - it's like the second or third ingredient on the list, lots of things I can't pronounce, lots of binders and preservatives and thickening agents and emulsifiers. It's revolting. It's not healthy at all, and in the name of saving on fat calories, you might as well just pour a few tablespoons of straight-up sugar down your gullet for all the good it will do you in the long run.

All of the fat-free dairy products are basically comprised of skim milk and corn syrup with a bunch of nasty chemical agents thrown in to give it the same sort of look as real dairy products. Except for the fat-free sour cream. I'm continuously fascinated with how on God's green earth it becomes grainy.

In all honesty though, I feel like I'm being a bit negative toward the spa. The vast majority of food that is prepared is really good, and fat-free crap only goes into a few dishes. Most of us have started subbing reduced fat stuff when we can. It's still a little gross, but not nearly as gross as the fat-free.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

This is the most amazing hangover cure, breakfast of champions indeed!  :biggrin:  Get the extra patika<sp>/trotters with it.

mike

Mike, I guess you have to be a champion to drink all night and then load your stomach down in the early morning with...cow's stomach stew. I never could eat menudo, back in my long-ago pre-kosher days. The mere smell of it would make me flee.

Pan de cassave, now, I've eaten many times, and enjoyed it. True, it's dry, but it does have a very delicate taste of manioc. We used to spread a little butter over pieces of it and have it with our cafe con leche. I don't miss pan de cassave, but I'd love to eat an arepa once more (only kosher).

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

Yeah, speaking of fat free, how 'bout fat free cream cheese? Talk about revolting. It tastes like spackle. I bought it years ago, and was so put off by the taste and texture that I added scallions in hopes that it would taste better. It tasted like spackle with scallions.

Not that I ever actually tried spackle...

Karen C.