• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lead us not into temptation ..what is your worst?

What terrific responses you all have offered here! Actually, even though I have the Cadbury-addiction, I now have several new desires beginning to surface: had forgotten how much I love Cheetos, potato chips, finished a tube of those Thin Mints (which I blame entirely on those little demon Girl Scouts! :angry: ), BBQ potato chips with or without large curd cottage cheese (thanks for the tip, Andie! :wink: ). You have all given me new temptations .. and it is Lent now ... oops! I am Jewish ... :huh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

For time's sake, I am just going to list what I can eat a whole container of in a single sitting without even knowing it:

Pringles

Any ice cream that comes in a container smaller than 5 gallons

Cheetos (popular on this thread)

Chips with Dip

Hummus

Nutella

Just about any type of cookie except oatmeal raisin (too healthy for me!)

M & M's, any flavor, but I am particularly addicted to almond and peanut butter

Snickers bars

Ressee's peanut butter cups (the Easter eggs that are out right now btw rock, they have like twice the peanut butter inside)

Lindt chocolate truffles (White chocolate, hazelnut, and peanut butter ones are the best. I hold them in my mouth until the center melts and is all gooey!!!)

Twix

Doritos Cool Ranch

Those God-Awul orange cheese puff things

Pink after-dinner mints

Honey (As a kid, I worked on a produce farm, and would have to ride my bike home after a long day's work [my parents were just those type of people... :hmmm: ] and I would usually gank a honey bear out of the vegetable stand that we had for the ride home. It was a rare occasion that I would make it home and that thing would have any honey left in it. I don't know how I didn't get sick)

Coke Classic (I try not to drink it, but I have to tell you, when it is ice cold, nothing like it)

Roasted Chicken (I am talking the whole bird)

Turkey Skin ("Don't worry mom, I will throw it away...." :wink: )

French Fries, smothere with just about anything, especially fresh made lemony mayo

Come to think of it.. almost anything deep fried

Man, I gotta get back in the gym....

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

these things:

Snack heroin

i don't hide it,

but i had 2 bags at my desk the other day.

i went thru the 1st bag like grant thru richmond...

i blazed 1/2 way thru the 2nd

and i thew the bag in the trash at my desk.

15 mins later...

i dug the bag back out of the trash

and started eating again.

in order to truely STOP...

i had to tear open the bag

and sprinkle the remainder of the bag directly into the trash.

and yes, i still thought about eating them out of the trash.

-m

mea culpa, inc.

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Roasted Chicken (I am talking the whole bird)

Turkey Skin ("Don't worry mom, I will throw it away...."  :wink: )

Oy. I had gotten to the point where, if I brought home one of those rotisserie chickens, it was with the understanding that at least half of the meat, and *all* of the skin, would be vaporized within moments of opening its little plastic container. The remainder would be gone by sunrise.

And some of my mom's and my best mother/daughter bonding experiences were over the leftover Thanksgiving turkey carcass. We would just place the carcass between us in the middle of the dinette table, and just sit there and fress until it was nothing but disjointed bones, both of us lost in turkey-grease bliss. (And this is the same woman who attempted to chide me for coveting a slab of prime rib? :rolleyes::laugh: )

Edited by mizducky (log)

Oh yah, almond. Whole almond. Like the number is only half the usual amount becuase they are so big. And nutty. And yummy. I think Wal-Mart is open 24 hours on the drive home tonight... hmmm......

Look for the well... almond colored bag

edited to add the self-explaining color of the bag.....

Edited by Tonyy13 (log)

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

I just polished of three French cruller doughnuts. They're so light and airy, I feel like three barely even counts as one regular doughnut, but I could polish off a whole box--or two.

My other vice is potato chips. Especially Old Dutch BBQ. I could eat several large bags in one sitting, and still not tire of them. Not that I've tried, of course! :wink:

:rolleyes: Worst of all? A Trader Joe's is coming to Atlanta ... I am doomed!! :laugh:  Snack Hell ... :unsure:

I hope they have the Snap Pea Crisps in your store. They are absolutely wonderful. And the Savory Thin Mini Crackers, so crisp, so good, no sugar, fairly low sodium and 37 crackers are only 120 calories.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Things I've given up buying as my illusions of self-control have been shattered too many times..

- pop tarts (yes, I KNOW, they're not even that good but I've put myself into sugar shock over these things)

- potato chips - any kind

- any kind of "fun" cereal

And I'll pay more for singles of most of my indulgences even if it costs more i.e. Cadbury creme eggs (no point buying the 3 pack as I WILL end up eating them all at once, and the year they made them in dark chocolate was bad..but so good :blush: )

**Melanie**

OK, so the Costco rotisserie chicken has been outed (frenzy) but it is at least minimally healthy (if you think Atkins!)

but here is mine:

layers

potato chip

salami

dill dip

salami

potato chip............

:wub:

Cheetos.  Completely void of any nutritional value, but oh, that orange, crunchy goodness  :wub: .  I try not to buy them because I'll eat the whole bag.

The lab my chemistry students are doing this week involves burning food items underneath a beaker of water, and seeing how much the temperature of the water rises. The point of this lab is to then calculate how many Calories of energy were released per gram of the food item in question, and compare that value to the value given on the nutritional info label. The lab itself doesn't seem to be working worth a darn, but to get this back on topic:

The original lab from the manual called for using different varieties of nuts. Our lab manager and I discussed it, and together we decided that due to the potential allergy issues of nuts, we should use a different food item. (Not to mention, the stench of burning nuts is particularly nasty....) We're limited to things that burn well (as in burst into flames) and that can easily be speared on the end of a pin that's stuck in a hunk of playdough which is sitting on the bottom of another upside down beaker, to hold it underneath the beaker of water whose temperature is being measured. So we settled on good 'n' greasy snack foods: Fritos and Cheetos.

When a Frito gets torched with the flame from a bunsen burner, it ignites fairly readily, and doesn't smell horrible. It gives off some smoke, but not enough for the smoke detectors to be a concern.

But the Cheetos: oh my heavens. They give off black oily smoke, and they REEK! (We do these in the hoods, both to contain the stink and to make sure we don't set off the smoke alarms and evacuate the building.) But worse, as the Cheetos burn, they oooooooze a nasty orange oil, which then drips down the side of the playdough and the beaker holding the playdough. And this oil is not easy to wash off!

I used to have a problem with Cheetos. After this week, I'm never eating one again! :blink:

For next year, we're finding a different calorimetry lab to do. Probably one that doesn't involve food at all. :laugh:

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

The point of this lab is to then calculate how many Calories of energy were released per gram of the food item in question, and compare that value to the value given on the nutritional info label.

Off topic, but out of curiousity, is there a discrepancy between your findings and the caloric information given on the nutritional labels?

"Snack heroin" for me:

• dried and fresh fruit (it's almost worse than crisps or biscuits because I justify it to myself as being healthy; in the summer I can eat shocking amounts of fresh berries)

• toast with butter and honey - I could easily live off this

• biscuits, especially oaty-type ones (Hobnobs if store-bought, and I'll kill for nice homemade oatmeal-raisin)

• flapjack …mmm

• dry cereal, out of the box

• and when I'm at home I have a terrible problem with constantly sneaking little spoonfuls of my mum's mincemeat from her jar in the fridge, it's just so good …

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

The point of this lab is to then calculate how many Calories of energy were released per gram of the food item in question, and compare that value to the value given on the nutritional info label.

Off topic, but out of curiousity, is there a discrepancy between your findings and the caloric information given on the nutritional labels?

Huge discrepancy. Like the experimental values we get are at most 10% of what the label says. Some of my students found that burning a Cheeto didn't raise the water temperature at all! This means you can eat the whole bag without guilt, right? :biggrin::raz::wink:

It's more a case of poor experimental design: incomplete combustion, heat loss, and lots of things other than the water that need to be heated. In this case, it's not a technique issue either: when I tried it out myself last week, my results were comparable to what my students are seeing this week. And the lab manager tells me that the results for nuts were equally bad in previous years.

I'm particularly troubled by the burning Cheetos not raising the water temperature at all. I don't know if this has something to do with the Cheetos, or if it's related to the fact that they're done in the hood. (It would be ideal for the students to do everything in the hood, but it's not practical with the setup available to us.) In my lab section today, we'll be testing this out: the students will burn only Fritos, and they'll compare the results in the hood with the results from on the bench. That way, I'll at least know if Cheetos only have no calories if you eat them while you sit in a fume hood. :biggrin:

Between the lack of agreement between the experimental and label values and the calculations that are confusing to the students (too many numbers, apparently!), we're going to be looking at a more "traditional" experiment for future semesters. It's always nice when your experimental results match the theoretical values in a teaching lab.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I don't hide foods, but anything edible is enough to tempt me. I find I get pretty restless if I'm not moving my mouth in any way - if I'm not talking, I'm snacking (whether I'm hungry or not). It doesn't help to be a mum of two and have tempting things around me, but heaven knows I try to resist.

Chocolate. Anything that has chocolate in it. Or on it. Or around it. I can't resist, and there's no such thing as having just a bite, or a piece, or a taste. It's the whole pint of ice cream (I dare not buy more than a pint. I know from experience that I will not put the rest back in the freezer for another day), the whole box of cookies, the entire chocolate bar. I am definitely an "all or nothing" type of person. :rolleyes:

M&M's with almonds. Now there's a fascinating bit of intelligence. :smile:

M&Ms. Plain. The big bag. I'm not interested in the regular-sized bag, or even king-sized. I need the whole pound. And I will eat the whole pound.

I only allow myself to buy them as a special treat, usually around holidays when the fun-colored ones come out, or the mint ones at Christmas time.

I went to Cuba for a summer a few years ago, and in Cuba there is virtually no chocolate...my boyfriend at the time knew me well enough to have a gigantic bag of M&Ms waiting for me on the passenger's seat when he picked me up at the airport.

I know they're not quality chocolate, and I know they make me nasueous after just a couple of handfuls...but I'm a glutton for punishment.

You know, I believe it's prime time for the Easter pastels...and I think they're on sale at Target... :wacko:

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

crunchy cheetoes

The sugary fat on the outside of the ham

double stuff oreos

triple creme anything

salt and vinegar chips

curiously though I'm not that interested in ice cream.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Olives. Any kind of olive. I can eat them in quantities that I am sure most people cannot fathom. Even the icky canned black ones - I can down an entire can in one sitting. Or a jar of Kalamatas. I haven't met an olive yet that I can't snarf down in quantity.

Everything, in huge amounts. I mean it, if I eat it, it isn't safe from my binging. I don't need to hide anything, though. KIDDLE has to hide the things that she doesn't want me to eat FIRST. Hmm, where IS that six pack of Mexican Coca Cola? Excuse me, Mommy has to go hunting.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Even the icky canned black ones - I can down an entire can in one sitting..

:laugh: and I thought that it was only me who indulged in this vice!!

Have I got a black olive-cream cheese-garlic-butter spread for you, olive lover!! I can eat it with or without crackers .. it is that good! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"