• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lead us not into temptation ..what is your worst?

This is, of course, another of those similar threads like "Give us our daily..." begun by Pontormo ...

What is your one greatest temptation? .. a temptation which you hide when buying or nibble guiltily in secret? :huh:

Mine is Cadbury's Roast Almond Milk Chocolate bars .. the big ones ... and I hide them under my computer desk until after dinner when I am the only one awake ... and then shred the outer wrappings .. which are purple ... and I vow to eat only 3 squares but then ... :unsure:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I don't think I have ever hidden food. Usually I am waving it around in front of other people trying to convince them to try it, if it is something new.

I have been known to "disguise" something in the office fridge, but only so it will still be there when I want it. However the food thief who used to work here is no longer around so that really isn't necessary now. :laugh:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I don't hide food either. But my biggest temptations at the moment are white-flour tortillas charred on the burner, rubbed with butter and sprinkled with salt. I could eat at least three in one sitting. And, as always, bbq potato chips. I only bring them in the house about three times a year because I will eat the whole, huge, gnarly bag. Ice-cream is awfully good but it has too much calcium and vitamin d for me to consider it a completely "bad" thing. :raz:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I hide chocolates, because Mr KA is a chocolate-eating fiend.

But my biggest temptation is Kettle Chips Black Pepper flavor. They are diabolical.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Cheetos.  Completely void of any nutritional value, but oh, that orange, crunchy goodness  :wub: .  I try not to buy them because I'll eat the whole bag.

Every now and then I'll buy a 99 cent bag of fried Cheetos. I don't hide them, per se, but I don't eat them when others are around, (aka: share), or leave the bag out in plain view.

"That orange color on my fingers and mustache?"

"Cheese powder?"

"No,no!"

"It's hallucinogenic drugs! Yes, dangerous hallucinogenic drugs. You couldn't handle it."

SB :wacko:

"Cheese powder?"

"No,no!"

It's really hard to maintain a foodie reputation when covered in flourescent orange encrustations. Not that that's ever happened to me.......

All of my favorite binge foods involve large amounts of grease-drenched animal protein. I realize a lot of folks on this board love a good hunk o' meat, but I swear, when I catch a whiff of meat being grilled, I start drooling like Pavlov's dog. In fact, I'm rather amazed at how well I'm managing meat portion control on my current diet, because there have been times when I have been utterly incapable of portion control around meat.

I recall one memorable occasion when I lived in Boston, about 20 years ago. My parents were up to visit, and they treated me to dinner at Durgin-Park ... so of course I ordered the prime rib. My mother took one look at this huge slab o' meat they brought me--the typical Durgin-Park portion of prime rib hangs off the edges of the large dinner plate they serve it on--and murmured some hint/noodge to the effect of "you're not really going to eat all that, are you?" To which I replied, with a fierceness that surprised even me: "I WANT it!"

My mother, taken aback by this sudden appearance of cave-woman territory-defence behavior in her eldest daughter, thereafter left me alone (except for a stray eyes-rolled-to-ceiling look which I pointedly ignored), and I proceeded to methodically eat. the. whole. damn. thing. Hefty layer of fat and all. And IIRC, I made a bit of a dent in the sides, too. That's how I used to be able to get about meat--just don't get between me and my fix, and nobody gets hurt. :laugh:

Edited by mizducky (log)

The one thing I cannot resist in any way, shape, or form is toffee pistachios dipped in chocolate. There is no such thing as eating one of those for me. Toffee of any kind is almost as tempting, and Almond Roca is close behind as well. I dearly love the combination of toffee, nuts, and chocolate.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

"Cheese powder?"

"No,no!"

It's really hard to maintain a foodie reputation when covered in flourescent orange encrustations. Not that that's ever happened to me.......

:biggrin:

Freshly made cheese popcorn, from Garrett's in Chicago's Loop. It's addictive, and I only buy some when I know I'm going home and I'll be alone...because I'll be covered, mouth and hands, in glowing orange after I've indulged. Delicious. Embarrassing.

:cool:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Gummy bears. I buy the organic ones from Whole Foods for my little boy as a treat. It pains me to admit there have been times when he has been out with his father, and I've consciously decided to eat every damn gummy bear in the house and lie to him when he gets back ("Mommy ran out! How about a cookie for dessert instead?")

Diana Burrell, freelance writer/author

The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock (Marion Street Press, Nov. 2006)

DianaCooks.com

My eGullet blog

The Renegade Writer Blog

I'm weird about temptation. I was about to put down Girl Scout Thin Mints because if I open a box, I'll eat most of a tube before I'm aware of what I've done. But right now I've got half a dozen boxes sitting in my kitchen untouched. The Thin Mint bug hasn't bitten yet, I guess. Even the other day, when I wanted something sweet, I didn't open them.

I'm a sucker for a triple cream cheese and will eat it over other harder cheeses if it's around. Oh, that creamy goodness!

Most of my temptations are easily deniable, but when the jones hits, watch out because that's all I'll think about, talk about, PLAN for when I can eat it, whether it's fries, macaroni & cheese, or a few bowls of Cap'n Crunch. Stay outta my way because I'm a girl on a mission! :laugh:

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Plantains.

Don't get me wrong. I don't hide my need for plantains. It is very important, if there are any plantains within reach, to warn any unsuspecting folks who might presume to eat any of them... it is very important to warn them that all the plantains are mine.

Plantains are the only food about which I am truly irrational.

Robin Tyler McWaters

I've given up on the whole food hiding thing - I used to hide some foods so my spouse wouldn't finish them off and not tell me about it, but after a few screaming hissy fits when I went to get something that was no longer there and that behavior stopped fast.

We've also been in this house nearly 10 years and I'm out of hiding spots.

I simply don't buy the foods that I know I can't control my consumption of - it's really the only way. Top on that list is Oreos - if there is an open package, I will finish it. I don't even like them all that much, but there is something about them that is completely irresistible. The only solution was to give them up completely - it's been about 10 years since I've had one.

But after seeing the deep fried Oreos, I am going to have to try them someday. They seem to come in a small portion and they probably would be soggy greaseballs if I kept them around the house, so I think I'll be pretty safe.

Edited to add: potato chips and onion dip. Not fancy onion dip, either, but California Dip made from Lipton Onion Soup and sour cream. When I make it, I never make more than I'm planning to consume right away, since I'll consume it all anyway.

Marcia.

whose cat in her avatar is named Oreo. Coincidence?

Edited by purplewiz (log)

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I don't hide food either. But my biggest temptations at the moment are white-flour tortillas charred on the burner, rubbed with butter and sprinkled with salt. I could eat at least three in one sitting. And, as always, bbq potato chips. I only bring them in the house about three times a year because I will eat the whole, huge, gnarly bag. Ice-cream is awfully good but it has too much calcium and vitamin d for me to consider it a completely "bad" thing.  :raz:

BBQ potato chips are one of my passions also, however they have to be eaten with large curd cottage cheese. Only the large curd will do, the regular simply does not taste the same.

I have to measure out portions and put the bag away, otherwise I go into a fugue state and keep eating until I am dipping the crumbs out of the bottom of the bag.

(If the cottage cheese is a bit too dense for easy dipping, I add a little heavy cream which just compounds the sin.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I hide chocolates, because Mr KA is a chocolate-eating fiend.

But my biggest temptation is Kettle Chips Black Pepper flavor. They are diabolical.

Another chip I love in their brown paper bag :rolleyes: . I find the freshest at TJs.