• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

And Give Us This Day Our Daily....

Pontormo

Green tea

Coke zero (having switched from Diet Coke last year)

Bread in some form (working in a bakery feeds this addiction oh, just a little bit!) :raz:

Something sweet, but not usually chocolate.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Protein and chocolate.

And yes, I'm another coffee achiever, but I tend to keep it to two cups a day before noon, switching to tea or decaf after noon if I feel the need for another hot drink.

The last time I didn't have any protein or chocolate, though, was when I was stuck in the hospital on a clear liquids diet while awaiting surgery. First thing I ate when they would let me have solids again was a ham and cheese omelet. Chocolate followed later in the day.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Chocolate. Very heaty..kills my complexion.

So....for something to counter it....the simplest thing I do is drink lots of water. Or, some chinese herbal drink. Or eat fruit.

But---must---have----CHOCOLATE.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Now, I am waiting for Ling to pipe up.

Is it not too obvious for me to post in this thread? :wink:

I have a box of truffles next to my bed. Two Dagoba bars on my bathroom counter. A pretty decent selection of high-end chocolates for eating and baking in my pantry. And chocolate in my car too.

I grab a handful of Valrhona feves whenever I pass the kitchen. And a heaping tablespoon (usually more like 4 heaping tablespoons) of Nutella.

Sometimes I make ganache and just eat it with a spoon.

I get cravings for brownies too, so I always keep some in the freezer. :biggrin:

So....for something to counter it....the simplest thing I do is drink lots of water. Or, some chinese herbal drink.  Or eat fruit.

Is it honestly very "heaty"? Isn't that an old wives' tale? :wink:

So....for something to counter it....the simplest thing I do is drink lots of water. Or, some chinese herbal drink.  Or eat fruit.

I don't know. I eat chocolate every day too. I think I'm going to bake brownies or something today. :laugh: Thanks a lot, Ling.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

I wish I could eat chocolate, it alwasy smells so good....

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

a 1/2 glass of either grapefruit or orange juice, depending on what fruit is a good deal at the market the last time I went. I can miss my breakfast oats, I can miss my daily coffee, but I HAVE to have my juice. I follow it with 2 glasses of water. Then I feel awake. I wonder why I do that?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Since a friend from the U.S. visited a couple pf months ago, bearing (as instructed) several jars of Arrowhead Mills peanut butter and four bottles of Sriracha, I have been eating both in various forms every day.

The usual suspects:

-Shots of Arabic coffee all morning at work (the alternative being Nescafe- blech)

-Zaatar tea around midday.

-An espresso after work.

-Extra dry vermouth to quench my thirst while I'm cooking.

-Mint tea and Turkish coffee in the evenings.

I also drizzle unfiltered Jordanian olive oil quite liberally on my dinner, whatever it many be. I have a whole case of the stuff.

I could probably give up all of them very easily but I'm not sure I'd be a better person for it and certainly not a nicer one.

I used to be addicted to PG Tips with 2% milk but now that I spend so little time at home it's become a difficult habit to maintain.

Mostly I am addicted to reading about food. Cookbooks, magazines, eG and the neverending quest for recipes, trivia, whatever. I have a hard time staying away from it for more than a few hours at a time.

lol...I'm an old wife! And, for me, if I exceed my quota, pimples pop up. Same goes for coffee.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Coffee would have been on my list - I love it but because I'm allergic to it I cannot have it.

Vegetables: I have to have some kind of vegetables every day, otherwise I don't feel so good.

Rice and Dal: Not every day, but almost. I wouldn't complain if I had them every day though.

Nuts/Dried Fruits: Eat far more of these than I should. Too much of a good thing.....

Of course, in many asian cultures rice would be the first choice I'll bet.

Not so much for me anymore, but definitely for my mom. But I do need a daily fix of some starch, e.g. rice, bread, or pasta.

Milk.

Coffee coffee coffee. This is actually a recent addiction, and I’ve found that if I don’t have my morning fix, I'm sluggish by the afternoon.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Another coffee vote. I can't imagine a day without. The idea of substituting tea for coffee sends shock waves through my body. I am aghast at the very thought! :raz:

Yogurt is a close second. I have it every morning for breakfast with whatever fruit is in season, but only during the week at work. Weekends I usually have something else.

But coffee. That's a daily have-to.

The only thing I definitely have every day is water. That's what I mostly drink. I don't drink coffee. I do drink tea, but not every day. I eat at least one piece fruit every day, but not necessarily the same type every day, so I guess that's like saying I eat vegetables every day too. :smile:

Fresh bell peppers, red, yellow, and orange. Every day. During the week, three at breakfast, three at lunch. (I eat at my desk.) Other elements of the meals vary, but not the peppers. (Thank goodness for Costco!)

Sweet, crunchy, juicy, good for me . . . I just don't get tired of them.

(Now, my hands and feet are yellow, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.)

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

It used to be coffee but due to the fact that it didn't mix well with some medicine I was taking, I switched to tea and have had it ever since.

Two cups every morning. Gets me started and tastes good. Preferably Red Rose.

I have a friend who has to consume a bowl of Cream of Wheat every morning.

Another coffee vote. I can't imagine a day without. The idea of substituting tea for coffee sends shock waves through my body. I am aghast at the very thought!  :raz:

:laugh:

That was me, I'm afraid :laugh:

Recall my Indian background: the way I make

coffee or tea is 75% milk, 20% water

and the other 5 % either coffee or tea decoction.

Plus all the chai masala if I'm having masala chai.

Or the flavoring if I'm having hazelnut coffee or whatever!

Basically the 'coffee' or 'tea' is not about

coffee or tea, but is more an excuse for me to drink

something hot, buzzed, and spiked with spices (see my other

requirement, in addition to yogurt). Unless it's summer

and then I slurp iced coffee (Thai spices) very happily.

Fresh lime soda: imcomplete without salt, sugar, a pinch

of black pepper, and mint sprig..... You get the idea.

Any vehicle for spices.

I sprinkle salt and cayenne on whatever fruit I can.

What I'll add to my original post is that like someone

else said, I need *food* every day, every few hours.

I'm a grazer and unless I keep eating, I my blood sugar

apparently dips and I go crazy. Small frequent meals.

I can't fast. It would kill others around me, and then me.

And like Rajsuman: I crave veggies.....

Milagai

Edited by Milagai (log)

Another coffee vote. I can't imagine a day without. The idea of substituting tea for coffee sends shock waves through my body. I am aghast at the very thought!  :raz:

:laugh:

That was me, I'm afraid :laugh:

Well, since it was you, I'll let it slide! :laugh:

I just love the taste of coffee! (Not to mention the caffeine, but really the taste is just as, if not more, important.) I remember years ago, when Celestial Seasonings tea was first starting to appear on the scene, they had a flavor called Morning Thunder (they might still have it for all I know), which was reputed to have twice as much caffeine as coffee. A friend of mine who was a big tea drinker was trying to get me off coffee, and he would make me this Morning Thunder tea. (Shudder.) I don't care how much caffeine the stuff is reputed to have -- it tasted like TEA!! :angry: I simply couldn't swallow it, literally. :wacko:

up until 26 years ago it was coffee - 12 cups per day. then i got a hiatal hernia and had to cut out all caffeine(coffee, tea, chocolate), alcohol and spicy foods. as the cataloger at the library i worked in said "why not kill yourself now?"

now it is water with lemon - hot if it is cool when i get up, cold if warm. and i drink it throughout the day.

alcohol - one glass of wine, beer or a cocktail per day

NOT good for me - any more than my one glass which can happen on the weekend

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites