• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

And Give Us This Day Our Daily....

Pontormo

Coffee - two cups (black) every morning except Sunday when I lace it with Aquavit!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Only one?

Liquids:

I can sub tea for coffee, but at least one of those would be nice.

Maybe if it's really hot weather I can survive on fresh lime soda....

Other:

Yogurt (my good South Indian tummy gets severe yogurt withdrawal

after 2-3 days)

Spices (bland food gives me the heebie jeebies after maybe 1 or 2 meals max. I have been known to travel with a bottle of lemon pickle

that I'll mix in as needed.)

Chocolate was there but my expanding waistline

has moved it out of the "daily" category.....

Milagai

I was tempted to quote everyone in the "Coffee" column, but it would have resulted in one of those frame-after-frame eternal mirror-image things, I think. Include me for COFFEE. Or Espresso. Or Cap, Latte, Mocha or any variation of the above. I washed all the lids to the coffee cannisters one day last week, left them in the dishwasher overnight, and when I emerged from my bedroom that morning, the house smelled like HEAVEN.

And I also chime in for salad, in almost any form. Even with burgers or sandwiches, I shred lots of iceberg, pile it on a plate, salt it a little and eat it like fries. And never is my fridge without cucumbers--from the little pickling ones to those nice crisp long ones which come in their own little Saran outfit, ready to slice and enjoy.

And lately, yogurt---there are probably forty little containers piled in the fridge drawer upstairs, every flavor from Key Lime Pie to plain old plain.

Yogurt for me. I have some medication that has to be taken with food and I have found that yogurt is the easiest thing, not requiring any "fixin" or even a dish. Straight out of the container since I am the only one who eats it.

And bread. I have to have at least one piece of bread each day. I count bagels, English muffins, crumpets and regular bread in this category.

I don't count the sweet things such as muffins, sweet rolls, pancakes, waffles and etc.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Coffee, oh yeah. I just don't feel right if I haven't had at least one sweet thing during the day, but candy doesn't count. I'm not much of a candy person. I prefer home-baked things, but in a pinch a slice of cinnamon toast before bed will do.

~ Lori in PA

My blog: http://inmykitcheninmylife.blogspot.com/

My egullet blog: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=89647&hl=

"Cooking is not a chore, it is a joy."

- Julia Child

I like routine, so I guess I eat the same meals more than most people. Obviously there are exceptions, but when I'm feeding myself (ie not eating in college):

Breakfast is always tea and oatmeal (preferably steel-cut oats, salt not sugar).

Lunch is usually some sort of sandwich, more tea, and an apple, with additions depending on what's on hand.

I like to have another cup of tea around 4ish as well.

Clearly I have a tea problem. :raz:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Over-ripe bananas, tomatoes and multi seeded bread.

Wow!!!!

That's quite a sandwich!!!

.......... and very healthy :rolleyes:

Just to clarify, it ain't a sandwich, however in some countries it probably could be. :biggrin:

I suppose if I include the balsamic glaze and sea salt on the tomatoes, I eat that every day as well.

Screamingly painful hot sauce and about a half head of some kind of lettuce. Every day. It used to be three triple shot, non-fat lattes, half a pack of smokes and about 4-6 pints of ale but then, I turned the corner on 30 and saw 40 looming in the distance. Time to clean up my act, just a bit. :biggrin:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

coffee

nuts and/or nut butter

cheese

chocolate (unless by some misfortune there's none in the house)

tomatoes in season

When I was growing up, I could have added rice to the list, often twice a day. It's amazing all Cajuns don't have rice-induced diabetes.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

Butter. I can't remember the last time I consumed absolutely no butter for an entire day. I'm counting butter in things as well as on things.

Until a short time ago, it would have been coffee for me as well.

I am currently on a low-iodine diet that forbids dairy, soy, egg yolks, fish & seafood, and rice. :blink: The one thing that's making me crazy is milk. I always have at least one glass every day. I could (and did when I was pregnant) give up coffee much more easily.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I used to make sure to have my USDA Recommended Minimum Daily Adult Requirement of Caffeine, Nicotene and Velveeta, (aka: the Nutritional Triad), but when I quit smoking I lightened up on the Velveeta consumption too.

SB (still gets plenty of caffiene though) :wacko:

Diet Pepsi....for over a year I had meatballs almost every day at work....they were Good

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The only thing I can think of that I have almost every day is tea. Rice would be a close second.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Tea

OJ

Oats (oatmeal or some oat-based granola mixture)

I miss salad when I don't have it, but we usually have Chinese takeout a couple of times a week, & thus I go without.

There was a time when ice cream would have been on the list - a time that lasted, oh, close to three decades :wacko: - but I was finally able to break that addiction a couple of years ago.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

:blink:

H'm. Traditionally, the Classical Singer's Five Food Groups are:

Caffeine

Sugar

Salt

Fat

Alcohol

Once one has consumed far too much of most of the above, it's time to go home, rehydrate deeply, practice, and sleep.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004