• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

And Give Us This Day Our Daily....

Pontormo

We all know what we crave when we need comfort food.

There are certain foods that some of us have to have monthly,

on our birthdays,

for the Superbowl,

when we make a pilgrimage to our favorite gelateria in Rome,

or reserve a table at a beloved restaurant.

However, what would you honestly say that you HAVE to consume on a daily basis?

Do you always get what you need?

What happens when you don't?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Coffee. It's really the only thing I HAVE to have everyday. I can make everyone's life pretty miserable until I get it. So those nearest and dearest to me always make sure there's coffee in the morning.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have to agree with Marlene on this one. I fully admit that on a day when I can not have my daily ration of coffee, my brain is completely fuzzy and unfocused... there is no other food/drink with which I am so addicted.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

And its not just a morning getting up kind of thing. If I haven't had the coffee, I don't feel normal all day. I would also say breakfast but it is not a downright necessity. I have given up coffee for various reasons here and there along the way and it takes about three days of splitting headaches to rid yourself of the need.

But I drink coffee now. It is good. It is great.

I also need something around noontime. If I can't have a meal, it I have to deal with the bare minimum, it's a fruit and it will see me to dinner.

And its not just a morning getting up kind of thing.  If I haven't had the coffee, I don't feel normal all day.  I would also say breakfast but it is not a downright necessity.  I have given up coffee for various reasons here and there along the way and it takes about three days of splitting headaches to rid yourself of the need. 

But I drink coffee now.  It is good.  It is great. 

I also need something around noontime.  If I can't have a meal, it I have to deal with the bare minimum, it's a fruit and it will see me to dinner.

Right. I'll have a pot of coffee in the morning and usually make another one around one. My ex used to get headaches from caffiene withdrawal, until he swtiched to a blend of decaf and caffinated. Me, I'll take the straight hit. But foodwise, there is not food I have to have everyday. Just coffee.

Marlene

I'll have to go with coffee as well -- I cannot think of anything else that I eat EVERY day, or even most days for that matter....Diet Pepsi and some form of alcohol would follow as close seconds but not EVERY day -- honest :wink:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Ah well, that explains it then. :biggrin: jake, alcohol is right up there but not everyday. Really.

Marlene

Ah well, that explains it then. :biggrin:  jake, alcohol is right up there but not everyday.  Really.

I'll believe you if you believe me!

Interesting how everyone but Mike has chosen a liquid. It says to me that in this day and age with so much variety available it is not necessary to eat the same thing everyday. Of course, in many asian cultures rice would be the first choice I'll bet.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Coffee, water, and salad. I cannot remember the last day when I did not have salad in some form, usually a tossed or chopped salad. I just love it, and I like that something I love is so good for me and comes in so many variations.

But, as will surprise few of you, I always make sure to include cucumber. :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Over-ripe bananas, tomatoes and multi seeded bread.

Together? Or just, you know, sprinkled in over the course of the day?

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Of course, in many asian cultures rice would be the first choice I'll bet.

Yeah. The first word I thought of to complete the sentence would be "rice." I don't have rice every day, but almost. I certainly have more rice than bread.

Michael aka "Pan"

I'll have to go with coffee as well -- I cannot think of anything else that I eat EVERY day, or even most days for that matter....Diet Pepsi and some form of alcohol would follow as close seconds but not EVERY day -- honest  :wink:

Ditto with me, except sub in Diet Coke for Diet Pepsi. I'd rather have wine every day than not, but I have less trouble giving it up when I'm sick than I do my beloved caffeine fixes.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Ah well, that explains it then. :biggrin:   jake, alcohol is right up there but not everyday.   Really.

I'll believe you if you believe me!

Interesting how everyone but Mike has chosen a liquid. It says to me that in this day and age with so much variety available it is not necessary to eat the same thing everyday. Of course, in many asian cultures rice would be the first choice I'll bet.

Turning this thing on it's head, what food do you consume on a daily basis and you know you shouldn't but can't stop yourself ?

Edited by Mike Hunt (log)

Turning this thing on it's head, what food do you consume on a daily basis and you know you shouldn't but can't stop youself ?

Good question. Besides alchohol, potato chips. Or any salty snack.

Marlene

Yes, the first responses do not surprise me.

I am the same way, BUT when I visit my stepfamily (all the women are either born in the UK or conceived there except me), I am perfectly happy with a perfectly brewed cup of very strong tea.

The American-born husbands have all been converted to tea by their wives.

What I need is orange juice in the morning. Grapefruit juice is even better, but too costly these days.

The remark about cucumbers is interesting.

Kevin has clearly become an honorary Italian. I am sorry the trial is so difficult.

Now, I am waiting for Ling to pipe up.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath