• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yakitori Totto

ulterior epicure

We popped in the other night after attending a taping at the Letterman studio. Arriving at about 9, they took my cell number and called us 40 minutes later.

Sitting at the counter, we had a fabulous meal - they were all out of the "specialty" items, like the soft chicken knee and rare thigh, but we did manage to try 11 or 12 different things...this place is GREAT!!!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Are they still serving the chicken sashimi course?

Good question - I didn't see it on the regular menu, though my power of observation may have been slightly compromised.

It hasn't been available at Totto for a year or two. You can get it at Torys. Not sure why, as the staff is far more experienced at the honten (original).

I had an entire platter of chicken sashimi in Japan; 3 or 4 different varieties. I'll post the pics real soon....

If I want to get a booth @ Totto on Thursday, but think arrival time is going to be between 7-8 what should my gameplan be?

Make a reservation and try to get there for 7 or just show up between 7 & 8 and wait for a table?

Party of 4

Cheers

MJR

What's up Max :biggrin:

If you can't get everyone there for an early reservation, just stop in before 7 and get your name on the list, kill an hour at Japas next door and sing some karaoke until everyone's showed up -

I'm not sure what the recent policy is, but I'm pretty sure you can book one of the tatami rooms at a later time if you in fact have 5 or 6 people -

• 4 months later...

Had dinner at Yakitori Torys a couple nights ago and was thoroughly satisfied. Torys is a bit more refined--quieter and less boisterous, less smoky, smaller skewers, more attentive cooking--than the yakitori restaurants I've been to in Japan, but it really shines in its ingredient quality. Tried a good swath of the menu and most enjoyed the tail, wing, and pork belly with scallions. Soft knee bone was tasty, if an interesting textural experience perhaps not well-suited for the uninitiated. Other unexpectedly fun items were the whole prawn and the yamaimo. The place isn't exactly cheap, but it's not exactly expensive either. With a couple appetizers--goya ponzu; arugula, onsen egg, sardine salad--a bunch of skewers and two drinks, two of us made it out of there for just under $50/person. We were able to walk in at 6 on a Saturday night without a reservation and sit at the counter. They were not seating walk-ins at the tables.

• 3 weeks later...

Kushiyaki, for all intents and purposes, is synonymous with yakitori... kushiyaki 'kushi' = skewer 'yaki' = grill, skewer grill, yakitori 'yaki' grill 'tori' chicken/bird, grill bird. You're liable to find non-chicken stuff at Yakitori places and plenty of chicken parts at kushiyaki places, but the focus at Yakitori is on the many chicken parts, and at kushiyaki places, offering a wide variety of skewered specialities of all kinds.

Anyway, a new kushiyaki joint opened on the LES, priced like Yakitori Taisho but probably/hopefully using a higher level of ingredients, wondering if anybody has/will try it out -

http://www.yozakuranyc.com/

Edited by raji (log)

Anyway, a new kushiyaki joint opened on the LES, priced like Yakitori Taisho but probably/hopefully using a higher level of ingredients, wondering if anybody has/will try it out -

I've walked by a couple of times and never seen more that 3 or 4 people inside.

The link to the website just brings up a blank page...any more info, raji?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 1 month later...

I've walked by a couple of times and never seen more that 3 or 4 people inside.

The link to the website just brings up a blank page...any more info, raji?

Website works for me....

I'm curious about there - it would be great to have another option on the LES that is executing better than St. Marks

Just a head's up - exiting Sushi Yasuda Monday night I noticed that another Totto restaurant was just opening their doors for business, directly across the street. Apparently they were opening for business that night, 12/24.

The signage said both "Totto Grand Central" and "Soba Totto". For those who didn't know, Yakitori Totto, Torys, Grand Central, and Aburiya Kinnosuke are all part of the same ownership and have been executing completely authentic Japanese comfort food on an extremely high level for several years now. Judging by the interior, they're serving soba as well as some subset of their Totto menu with an emphasis on chicken, but I didn't get a chance to glance at the menu. Based on how they have approached yakitori and robatayaki, I have no doubt that their soba will yet again raise the bar in NYC, but I want to give it a try first. At least there is another place to go when the other 3 are booked up or you are in the neighborhood.

So, at 43rd at 3rd you have Yasuda, Totto and Sakagura - quite the triple threat representing 3 generations of NY Japanese dining - great!

googled this

http://www.urbandaddy.com/nyc/1027/Totto-Recall

• 1 month later...

There was some kind of magic going on at Yakitori Totto last night. We had the best meal we've ever had there. Everything was simply spot-on.

For example, the shrimp yakitori, which I haven't been crazy about in the past, were outstanding. They released copious amounts of juice when bitten and were perfectly cooked (they'd been slightly overcooked previously).

The chicken hearts were the best they've ever been; unbelievably tender, juicy, and flavorful. The tail, the skin... the chicken oysters were also stupendous.

We also had sea cucumber and fried tofu specials (not yakitori, but appetizers) that were excellent.

The only possible criticism I can think of is that they were out of soft knee bone by the time we sat down :sad:

You're not imagining, I was there Friday night (I guess you were there Saturday night), and was similarly impressed - everything we had was just a notch better than usual. I think it goes like this; everytime they open a new restaurant, I think the lot of them get an overall review and upgrade - that seems to have been the trend over the past 4 years.

Our order included - yakitori - kawa, tsukune, eringi, nasu dengaku, aspara bacon, nagaimo, shisomaki, kurumaegi, gyutan - we went at midnight and all the "limited" stuff was long gone...

there was more but it must have been off the specials menu - the shochu was pouring so it's a little hazy -

even had some maccha purin to end, delicious

• 1 month later...

Place is fantastic as usual. Can't get enough chicken tail.. I am telling ya, I had like 4 last night.. Not much more to say about this place but, wonderful.. Sat down immediately at 930..