• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Munich - holidays

RickG

I'll be in Munich the week before Easter with my daughters - 14 & 8. This is their first visit. Any hints on special events that week that are not to be missed? They are pretty adventurous, speak French and my 14 year old has started German.

Any hints on special ... that are not to be missed?

Have lunch at the

Nuernberger Bratwurst Gloeckl am Dom

Frauenplatz 9

tel 089 29 19 45 0

and enjoy pretzels, wurst and dark beer of heavenly quality for a very reasonable prize.

The place is right next to the famour Church and is usually packed with Munich residents. Seating is relaxed, ie you walk in and if there are empty places at a table, you sit there, and mingle with the other patrons.

athinaeos

civilization is an everyday affair

the situation is hopeless, but not very serious

I'll be in Munich the week before Easter with my daughters - 14 & 8. This is their first visit. Any hints on special events that week that are not to be missed? They are pretty adventurous, speak French and my 14 year old has started German.

Do your daughters have specific interests? Beyond food there are a lot of great museums/cultural events/outdoorsy stuff to check out.

If your older daughter is at all interested in art then lenbachhaus and alte pinakothek are musts. For shopping she might get a kick out of the store "Servus Heimat" on Ledererstr. They carry very funny and untypical Munich theme t-shirts & things like that, if she wants a non-dorky souvenir to take home. I would also try to take her to one of the more traditional bookstores like Werner or Lemkuhl -- German bookstores are really an inspiring sight to see.

There is also a toy museum in the alten rathausturm & the Deutsches Museum science exhibits that might be of interest for the younger daughter. That time of year you can also rent bikes and ride through some of the park areas. Very pretty.

Keep in mind the biergartens also sell sodas in large beer mugs, so the younger ones can pretend to participate without getting anyone in trouble. :smile:

Edited by Behemoth (log)

• 7 months later...

Sorry I can't be of more help but if all else fails I do believe the Hard Rock Cafe is open on the 24th. I would possibly try a hotel restaurant but for the better ones I would call and reserve ahead.

The Spago in Munchen used to be open most holidays and when I last ate there (granted, about 3 years ago now) was pretty good.

Give 'em a ring.

Spago is no longer, it is called something else now. La Bouille I think.

Anyway, I did a little search, here is a list of places with christmas eve meals:

link (sorry, in German)

The range of options is fairly broad -- Mark's in Mandarin Oriental being an excelent Michelin place, Wirthas zur Brez'n standard Bavarian stuff, and some other options in between. I would try to book in advance, just to be safe.

Edited by Behemoth (log)

can anyone help with a recommendation for a lunch on december 24th this year in munich?

i don't mind what cuisine, or how much it costs...just looking for somewhere that's open on the day.

any suggestions gratefully received.

The Kempinski offers some packages

H.B. aka "Legourmet"

• 4 weeks later...

FYI, Munich's city site has added a list of opening times for various restaurants through the holidays:

link

That's no shortage of places, and at all price points & cuisines. Been meaning to try a few of these, actually.

FYI, Munich's city site has added a list of opening times for various restaurants through the holidays:

link

That's no shortage of places, and at all price points & cuisines. Been meaning to try a few of these, actually.

Thank you thank you thank you!

egullet at its best