• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Regalade - noisy?

Hi,

I'm thinking of going out with my family to La Regalade and I was wondering whether it's particularly noisy? I adore the food but I can't remember if it's appropriate for older relatives who like quieter settings.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

Hi,

I'm thinking of going out with my family to La Regalade and I was wondering whether it's particularly noisy?  I adore the food but I can't remember if it's appropriate for older relatives who like quieter settings.

I can`t remember how loud they crank the speakers with that god awful french theme park music. Do people shout to be heard over the sound of their arteries clogging.

Hmmm that reminds me i should go skim my stocks.

Edited by transfattyacid (log)
tt

The times I have been there it has been surprisingly noisy, especially for a West Vancouver restaurant. I didn't find it unpleasantly noisy though: we could still all hear each other around the table.

Paul B

Fortunately our older relatives are damn near deaf, so it makes no difference. They're just grateful that they have been removed from the confines of home for a few hours.

What they do love and what la Regalade is famous for are BIG portions. It always makes them think they are getting their money's worth, even though they aren't paying and they usually end up with a doggy bag for later.

I have never found the restaurant particularly loud, just normal buzzy, which our relatives love for the distraction.

You don't see too many grams and gramps in there...It's pretty loud. You don't have to yell at your table, but you do have to speak up quite a bit. I was having dinner at another French place in West Van (forget name) one night and the table next to us was 4 geezers. They were talking about their dislike of La Regalade due to it being too loud for them.

Did you say loud? You know the French. Now, Jerry Lewis - he's loud. :raz:

de rien, Memo

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.