• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cherry Brandy

lperry

I'm finding mixed information out there on the web and I'm hoping someone here can help me. Is cherry brandy distilled from wine that is made from cherries, or is it brandy (or some other spirit) with cherry flavor added in later? If it is the latter, can you make it yourself?

I have some cherry syrup from last summer. It isn't a simple syrup - the only ingredients are Rainier cherries, Bing cherries and sugar that were macerated then cooked down into syrup (originally for cakes, sangria, ice cream etc.). If I mix the syrup with brandy and give it some time for the flavors to mingle, would I come up with something that could be floated on the top of a Singapore Sling? If so, what brandy should be used?

Thanks-

Linda

Why would you want to make it at all ?

Far too much work for a dodgy end product no matter how skilled you are.

Just buy some :rolleyes:

Can I give a positive tip, don't invite any Spaniards round and put cherry syrup in their sangria. :biggrin:

Well, that's discouraging. I cook despite the fact that I can go to a restaurant and purchase something prepared by a chef who is better skilled than I. I want to make it because I enjoy creating food and drink. I find it to be an interesting and rewarding experience.

I've made liqueurs before with good success, but with fresh fruit and vodka. Has anyone out there tried it with brandy?

Well, that's discouraging.  I cook despite the fact that I can go to a restaurant and purchase something prepared by a chef who is better skilled than I.  I want to make it because I enjoy creating food and drink.  I find it to be an interesting and rewarding experience. 

I've made liqueurs before with good success, but with fresh fruit and vodka.  Has anyone out there tried it with brandy?

Believe me I've tried making it about 5 times with varying degrees of success :rolleyes:

OK I found it an interesting experience but not rewarding. :blink:

I know a guy who is in the middle of making it with calvados !!

It's important to distinguish between cherry flavored brandies and liqueurs and true cherry brandy.

It's pretty hard, and illegal in the US, to make any distilled spirit without permission from the ATA. You would have to do this to make true cherry brandy (aka kirsch, kirschwasser, eau de vie...)

On the other hand, there's nothing stopping you from macerating cherries in some sort of spirit with spices, filtering, and sweetening it to taste.

A lot of times in the US the homemade version of this is called "Cherry Bounce".

As with any homemade liqueur, your results may vary from "down the drain" to "delicious".

I was going to make cherry liqueur last summer; but, put it off until cherry season was over, so now it will have to wait until next season.

BTW, most people consider the flavor of the whole fruit important to liqueur making, so leave those pits in there. Some recipes even recommend leaving a portion of the stems attached.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I was hoping to do some infusing rather than moonshining. :smile: I've never tried with cherries but have had wonderful success with peaches. I've never had a commercial peach liqueur that comes close to the flavor of homemade.

Back to the difference though, how can you know which one of these, an eau-de-vie or a flavored brandy, is what you need for a given drink recipe? Do I need to figure out which component of the drink it is supposed to be? Or would the recipe specify kirsch vs brandy?

Over in the Eau de Vie thread Sam informed me that the true cherry brandies are seldom called for in drinks.

So, unless it specifically sez, "kirsch", "kirschwasser", or "cherry eau de vie" you're safe using cherry flavored brandy like Cherry Heering.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Hi Iperry

This was the best (and simplest) method I've used in the past.

4 Kilos Morello Cherries

2 Kilos Light Muscovado Sugar

1.5 Litres of over-proofed Vodka Or Brandy (not Cognac :rolleyes: ).

1. Wash and stem the cherries gently as not to bruise them.

2. Carefully dry on a towel.

3. Place them in a clean 3 litre jar.

4. Pour the sugar over the cherries and do not stir or shake the contents.

5. Pour the spirit over the sugar and cherries, do not stir and cover with a lid.

6. Put the jar in a cool place and let it stand for 4 months.

7. Strain twice through muslin into sterilised bottles of your choice.

I cannot over-emphasise the importance of being gentle with the fruit.

The flesh of the cherries should dissolve and result in quite a thick liquid, However, as I said before it's a bit of a lottery with regards to the result.

Good luck to your liver. :biggrin:

Edited by Mike Hunt (log)

BTW, if it's available in your area, Massenez' Creme de Griotte (Morello Cherry Liqueur), is pretty amazing.

I'm never quite sure what to substitute in the US for the more esoteric fruits. I guess I might try sour pie cherries.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I'll try making it with the sour cherries when they start to come in here. In the meantime, I'll look for the Creme de Griotte, although I'm guessing that Virginia's ABC isn't going to have it. A road trip may be in order.

• 7 years later...

I have an almost completely full bottle of cheap (pronounced crappy) cherry "brandy" (liqueur: ingredients, in order as listed on the bottle = water, sugar, alcohol, brandy, natural and artificial flavor, citric acid) that I bought before Heering was available at the LCBO thinking it would be good enough to get by on. I was wrong. It's not good. It's reminiscent of cherry cough syrup minus the bitter. It's been in my cabinet for a long time (Could that be a problem at the listed 15% abv? It doesn't look or smell any different than it ever did.) because I hate wasting things if I can avoid it. I'm trying to get some actual organization going on in my cabinet so it's time to make the call. Is there anything worthwhile I might possibly be able to do with this stuff besides pour it down the drain or hand it off to a passing bum (actually that would be ok in theory but probably not a good idea in reality)? I know what the answer is going to be but I couldn't bring myself to dump it without at least trying for an alternative idea.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I have an almost completely full bottle of cheap (pronounced crappy) cherry "brandy" (liqueur: ingredients, in order as listed on the bottle = water, sugar, alcohol, brandy, natural and artificial flavor, citric acid) that I bought before Heering was available at the LCBO thinking it would be good enough to get by on. I was wrong. It's not good. It's reminiscent of cherry cough syrup minus the bitter. It's been in my cabinet for a long time (Could that be a problem at the listed 15% abv? It doesn't look or smell any different than it ever did.) because I hate wasting things if I can avoid it. I'm trying to get some actual organization going on in my cabinet so it's time to make the call. Is there anything worthwhile I might possibly be able to do with this stuff besides pour it down the drain or hand it off to a passing bum (actually that would be ok in theory but probably not a good idea in reality)? I know what the answer is going to be but I couldn't bring myself to dump it without at least trying for an alternative idea.

Yup - there is something you can do with it. Put it in a dark chocolate ganache. You won't taste it any more - and it makes the ganache taste rich and more chocolaty.

Yup - there is something you can do with it. Put it in a dark chocolate ganache. You won't taste it any more - and it makes the ganache taste rich and more chocolaty.

Thanks Kerry, that sounds like a much better use than seeing if it works as drain cleaner. Dark chocolate ganache project shall be planned.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.