Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spraying Chocolate: Equipment, Materials, and Techniques


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, Rajala said:

I made a new batch of bonbons yesterday, much less around the edge, but it's still there. I guess it's close to impossible to get it totally clean? :)

 

VjyvoQ5.jpg

 

Can you show a picture of your empty shells? Do you turn your wet molds upside down or stand them on their sides?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Can you show a picture of your empty shells? Do you turn your wet molds upside down or stand them on their sides?

 

No picture of this, but I put them upside down for around 15 minuts before moving to fridge for around 15 minutes as well. Not upside down in the fridge though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a very common issue with round moulds. You get even contraction in all directions, so there's space there for the chocolate to get in. You could fix it by trying to stop the chocolate contract as much, but then it wouldn't release from the mould :P

 

You already posted a pic from Melissa Copel - if someone like that still gets it, I don't think it's worth worrying about ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

That one is probably made by one of her students? Melissa doesn't make mistakes like that. :D 

 

Well, on a serious note - I'm not that bothered by it. It's just interesting how it's some times extremely visible. In this case I'm moulding with a different chocolate than the last time, which to no surprise gives a little bit different result.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Before I waste a lot of colored cocoa butter experimenting, does anyone know what I can mix to get a dark/navy blue? I have on hand (all Chef Rubber named colors) turquoise, teal, Mediterranean blue, and black onyx. It's too late for me to order one of their darker blue colors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

@Jim D., which purples do you like?  I finally threw away my Harvest Purple because every time I tried to use it I hated it.

 

I very much liked the Harvest Purple in theory (the idea of a Victorian "dusty" purple color appealed to me), but I gave up on it because, once applied, it looked too much like milk chocolate. And what's the point of that? So the only purple I use is Purple Rhodolite (from the "Jewel" collection). It shows as purple (well, somewhat) even when applied to dark chocolate, and I use it for my plum and my fig fillings, as well as on Easter eggs--where I mostly abandon the idea of matching the color to what's inside.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Not the same mould, but I had this standing up rather than being turned upside down. Same result. In this case, I know that I poured over too much chocolate for the capping. Need to experiment with that more I think.

 

image.thumb.png.6c22c491ee4820fd257b146583cce65f.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rajala said:

Not the same mould, but I had this standing up rather than being turned upside down. Same result. In this case, I know that I poured over too much chocolate for the capping. Need to experiment with that more I think.

 

image.thumb.png.6c22c491ee4820fd257b146583cce65f.png

How did you get the nice even splatter on those molds?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

How did you get the nice even splatter on those molds?

 

I just sprayed them with very low pressure. Didn't do anything special, just played around. It's yellow, blue and purple - if it's unclear that there are three colors. I was aiming for less yellow, and the two you can see which are more yellow than the rest, was an accident when I sprayed a little bit too much. They're almost turning a bit green.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rajala said:

 

I just sprayed them with very low pressure. Didn't do anything special, just played around. It's yellow, blue and purple - if it's unclear that there are three colors. I was aiming for less yellow, and the two you can see which are more yellow than the rest, was an accident when I sprayed a little bit too much. They're almost turning a bit green.

I just read through this entire thread. You said you got an HVLP paint gun and also mentioned at one point that you had ordered an airbrush, but never said what brand it was. I bring this up because I am wondering whether you used the HVLP gun or the airbrush for the splatter. I have seen the Fuji in action, and it does splatter quite well. But most (if not all) paint guns have a rather large container for the paint. The ones I have seen would take a great deal of cocoa butter just to have enough to cover the bottom of the container. That is what kept me from buying one. So if you used the paint gun for the splatter, could you describe what amount of c.b. you used for the job? If you used an airbrush, I would love to know how you made it splatter. I am finding with my new Grex gravity-feed airbrush, I am using much more c.b. than I did with the siphon-style Paasche airbrush I used formerly. I can't quite imagine using a paint gun for just a few molds, considering how much c.b. it requires and how difficult it must be to clean out the container.

Link to post
Share on other sites

my HVLP gun does spatter very nicely, you just turn a dial all the way to the opposite end from fine spray and voila, spatter!

 

PS @RajalaMats you're obsessed with that tiny bit of chocolate down the edge that no-one else will notice :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jim D. The bars are sprayed with my HVLP gun. I just turn the dial, as Chris mention, to make sure that even though the gun is fed 30 psi (or whatever), it's nowhere near that amount that goes through it. I would say that I used maybe 1 cl per colour, and that was enough for two moulds, leaving a little bit left in the paint container. My airbrush is leaking air, so I haven't even used that one yet, need to fix that.

 

Both the HVLP and the airbrush are generic store brands, which I would say are cheap Chinese manufactured products. I have nothing bad to say about the HVLP gun though. I haven't tried anything that's supposed to be "good". :) 

 

@keychris Haha, but I want it to be perfect. My brain works like that, I wish that it didn't.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rajala said:

The bars are sprayed with my HVLP gun. I just turn the dial, as Chris mention, to make sure that even though the gun is fed 30 psi (or whatever), it's nowhere near that amount that goes through it. I would say that I used maybe 1 cl per colour, and that was enough for two moulds, leaving a little bit left in the paint container. My airbrush is leaking air, so I haven't even used that one yet, need to fix that.

Thanks for that information. I don't see any reason why my Grex airbrush (or any airbrush, for that matter) can't do the same. I have a pressure regulator installed between the hose from the compressor and the airbrush itself, so changing the pressure is easy. I will have to try again. I tried the spraying with a wooden stick or spatula between the brush and the mold to create splatter, but it is erratic (I have seen it done successfully in person, so I know it's just a matter of technique). I think the drop-cocoa-butter-from-the-bottle-and-spray-it-into-the-mold technique would be something that would take (for me) a lot of practice. Sad to confess, but the best I have done so far has been with a toothbrush.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Thanks for that information. I don't see any reason why my Grex airbrush (or any airbrush, for that matter) can't do the same. I have a pressure regulator installed between the hose from the compressor and the airbrush itself, so changing the pressure is easy. I will have to try again. I tried the spraying with a wooden stick or spatula between the brush and the mold to create splatter, but it is erratic (I have seen it done successfully in person, so I know it's just a matter of technique). I think the drop-cocoa-butter-from-the-bottle-and-spray-it-into-the-mold technique would be something that would take (for me) a lot of practice. Sad to confess, but the best I have done so far has been with a toothbrush.

 

The HVLP gun used a 0.8mm nozzle. Might be good to add that as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, keychris said:

PS @RajalaMats you're obsessed with that tiny bit of chocolate down the edge that no-one else will notice :P
 


But those are exactly the things that drive you crazy. The easily seen problems everybody would instantly notice are generally easily fixed. :D

  • Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, julie99nl said:

I have an airbrush and a HVLP, the airbrush doesn't splatter really. Low pressure or not..

Maybe it's because it is actually a needle in there?

Good point. So the HVLP does not have a needle? I'll see if I can find one that has a paint container with a small capacity--perhaps a wild goose chase?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Similar Content

    • By no10
      Hello eGForums,
       
      I'm curious if anyone has purchased these ganache and caramel ruler bars (https://www.tcfsales.com/products/658-ganache-and-caramel-ruler-bars-set-of-2-ea/) from TCF before or has experience with this company? Are they a reputable company?
       
      It costs $87.96 (not including shipping) to purchase 4 stainless steel square bars, measuring 1/2" x 1/2" x 15" L, which seems like a reasonable price relative to other companies. Correct me if I'm wrong. Does anyone suggest other companies to purchase bars from?
       
      On a related topic, I know that a possibly more affordable alternative would be to visit a local metal fabricator and purchase metal bars from them. My concern is purchasing bars that are made from an alloy and finish that is 'food-safe'. Does anyone know what grade/alloy and finish of stainless steel is 'food-safe'? Does anyone know what grade/alloy and finish of aluminum is 'food-safe'?
       
       
    • By no10
      Several of Greweling's recipes call for the use of a round piping tip. I'm not familiar with what sizing system he's using. When he says to use a "no. [integer] round tip", what does the [integer] correspond to in millimeters or inches? For example, what is the diameter of a no. 3 round tip used by Greweling?
    • By Darienne
      I own a particular Tomric mold, Disc no# I-2023:.16" x 1.30 (dia) .14 oz/4g. 30 cavity.   It's been so long since I actually worked with chocolate and this is for mixing in an isolate pharmaceutical and so I need to get it right.  I'm not functioning as well as I would wish and am asking for help. 
       
      I need to make 25 discs in this mold.  Can someone please tell me how much chocolate I should use.   Does the blurb after the disc number mean that each cavity holds 4 g.?
       
      Thanks. Oh I don't have a scale which registers much less than 4 g.  It's an inexpensive Starfrit and we use it to weigh the dogs' food. 
    • By Choky
      At least in Europe comercial chocolate tablets are getting thinner. Usually 6mm thick and of course bigger in area.
       
      But I don't manage to find that kind of molds at manufacturer's sites (80 or 100g). Or at least choice is very limited.
       
      Why? Maybe too thin for manual unmolding? Or they just use bigger molds and fill partially? 
       
      Thanks!
    • By aussiebarracuda
      Having a suprisingly difficult time trying to track some down in melbourne. Anyone seen someone who stocks them?
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...