• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

cakedecorator1968

Spraying Chocolate: Equipment, Materials, and Techniques

If I'm reading your post correctly and you're talking about the canned ready-to-spray stuff, don't microwave it. That could get ugly real fast. Just set it in a container of warm water. The colored cocoa butter that's not sprayable in the plastic bottles can be microwaved in short bursts.

Edit: Not that you asked but, if you're buying the canned cocoa butter "velveting spray" to spray into chocolate molds, you're spending way too much money. There are much less expensive ways to go about doing that.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

Yes that's it, it is a bottle spray, I realize that I paid too much but I wanted to try it.

How would you know the right temperature?

It doesn't need to be too warm. Temperature precision isn't really an issue in this case. Just put some body temp or so water in a container, put the can in the container and let it sit for a few minutes. When it sounds fluid if you shake it and it will spray evenly you're good to go. Tempering isn't an option so you don't have to worry about that. The only potential danger would be heating it enough to explode the can which won't happen in a glass of warm water but very possibly might in a microwave.

I have never use the ready to spray color cocoa butter, so I don't know how it works, I don't know if you ever work with coloring molds, but you want to make sure that your chocolate is in temper ofcourse and that the room temperature is not too hot, the only time I had problem with the color stick into thhe molds was when the room was too hot and the chocolate even if in temper, took too long to set into the molds.

Hi All,

I bought a can of PCB colored cocoa butter, I tried to use it but the chocolate got stuck to the mold, I read the direction and it told me to warm up the can before using it, so I tried that as well and the same result.

How can I warm up the spray can and how do I know it is the right temperature???

I bought a can recently and have used it to seal nougat bars. It seems to work and is cleaner than trying to brush on melted cocoa butter. Hope it is suppose to be used like this because it works well.

But there are airbrushes they sell with heated heads for working with chocolate as seen here.   So I suspect that as long as it doesn't blow air that is too warm it won't be a huge problem.

Kerry mentioned this heated head airbrush some time ago and I wrote for info but didn't get a response (what's with these companies not answering requests to purchase their products???!!!)

Has anyone else followed up on it? Any luck? I'd love more info and PRICING!

Here's the link:

http://www.aerographe.com/page7e.htm

I suspect I'll be buying an airbrush in the near future, Christmas, if I play my cards right--this information had been very helpful.

I have been "guilty" of using the PCB aerosol cans of coloured cocoa butter--I know! $31.00 CDN per can. That stopped when my partner found out how expensive they really are.....

I've always "made" my own coloured butters with dry powders (just the three primary colours) and the cheapest c. butter I could find (Kessko, around $12.00/kg here), and in the bottom of one of my toolboxes I found a tool I had bought a loooong time ago and had forgotten about.

It's a very simple tool, usually used to apply nougat laquer in the days before aerosol cans. All it is is two little tubes, a fat one, and a thinner one. You fold the tubes so they meet at a 90 degree angle, immerse the thin tube into whatever you want to "paint", and blow on the fat tube. Cave-man technology, but it works Ok., takes a bit of effort though. Can't tell the difference between that and the PCB when I use it on my gemoteric domes.

But there are airbrushes they sell with heated heads for working with chocolate as seen here.   So I suspect that as long as it doesn't blow air that is too warm it won't be a huge problem.

Kerry mentioned this heated head airbrush some time ago and I wrote for info but didn't get a response (what's with these companies not answering requests to purchase their products???!!!)

Has anyone else followed up on it? Any luck? I'd love more info and PRICING!

Here's the link:

http://www.aerographe.com/page7e.htm

I called them in France and English was an issue! They told me to send an email and I did and "no response". I might get my colleague, a french pastry chef to call for me to get the info I want.

I called them in France and English was an issue!  They told me to send an email and I did and "no response". I might get my colleague, a french pastry chef to call for me to get the info I want.

I just sent another email today. Let me know if you get any results through your pastry chef colleague. I'll keep you posted if they write back...

I have 4 airbrushes/sprayguns for chocolate - the Badger 250, another Badger I can't recall the number of (that I bought because it could splatter - theoretically) and Iwata (never worked worth a shit with chocolate) and now the Fuji.

The Fuji is the only one I suspect I'll ever use again.

Hi Kerry,

Do you still think the Fuji is the best option for chocolate/colored cocoa butter spraying?

Are you still happy with it?

Thanks,

Omar

Edited by chocochoco (log)

I have 4 airbrushes/sprayguns for chocolate - the Badger 250, another Badger I can't recall the number of (that I bought because it could splatter - theoretically) and Iwata (never worked worth a shit with chocolate) and now the Fuji.

Hi Kerry,

Do you still think the Fuji is the best option for chocolate/colored cocoa butter spraying?

Thanks,

Omar

Yup - still loving it. Have learned more over time about keeping it from blocking up which is great.

Hi Kerry,

Thanks,

Omar

Yup - still loving it. Have learned more over time about keeping it from blocking up which is great.

Is the Fuji an external (like Badger 250) or internal-mix spray gun?

Do you have any tips you could share to avoid blocking?

Thanks a lot,

Omar

Hi Kerry,

Thanks,

Omar

Thanks a lot,

Omar

It's internal.

The blocking problem comes from the coloured cocoa butter that's left in the gun after use. I used to have to do a whole lot of heating over and over to try and get it going. Now I do this - put finger on outlet and push trigger - contents regurgitate into the cup allowing you to wipe them out of the cup. Heat and repeat until clean.

Hi Kerry,

Thanks,

Omar

Thanks a lot,

Omar

It's internal.

The blocking problem comes from the coloured cocoa butter that's left in the gun after use. I used to have to do a whole lot of heating over and over to try and get it going. Now I do this - put finger on outlet and push trigger - contents regurgitate into the cup allowing you to wipe them out of the cup. Heat and repeat until clean.

Hi Kerry,

Do you temper/cristalize the coloured cocoa butter or just melt it at 40C/100F before spraying it on molds?

If I want to smear coloured cocoa butter on molds, it will have to be cristilized before, won't it?

Thanks,

Omar

I just melt it so that there is still some unmelted coloured cocoa butter in the bottle.

What nozzle size do you like or prefer to use?

Thanks,

Omar

I use the red nozzle - I seem to recall it's a size 6.

Thanks,

Omar

The Fuji comes with the yellow nozzle, set #4 (1.4mmm). The red one, as you said, is set #6 (2.2mm).

Did you try the yellow nozzle? Why do you prefer the red one to spray coloured cocoa butter?

Thanks,

Omar

The Fuji comes with the yellow nozzle, set #4 (1.4mmm). The red one, as you said, is set #6 (2.2mm).

Did you try the yellow nozzle? Why do you prefer the red one to spray coloured cocoa butter?

I think I decided that was the one I needed when I bought it - don't recall exactly why - think it had to do with the viscosity. Haven't tried any other nozzles.

Do you think using the smaller nozzle would give too much blocking nozzle problems while in use?

That would be my concern.

Hi Kerry,

When spraying molds that are going to be shelled with dark chocolate, we have to spray a layer of white cocoa butter after spraying the other coloured cocoa butters and before filling with dark chocolate for the colours to show.

Have you shelled with white (ivory) chocolate instead of dark? Is it the same procedure? Or is the white cocoa butter layer not needed?

Thanks,

Omar

Hi Kerry,

When spraying molds that are going to be shelled with dark chocolate, we have to spray a layer of white cocoa butter after spraying the other coloured cocoa butters and before filling with dark chocolate for the colours to show.

Have you shelled with white (ivory) chocolate instead of dark? Is it the same procedure? Or is the white cocoa butter layer not needed?

Thanks,

Omar

To get the contrast with white chocolate you don't need to spray with white - however keep in mind that white chocolate is kind of yellow - so you may end up deciding to spray anyway to get the colours you are accustomed to.

Second day using Fuji HVLP gun. Can I tell you I LOVE IT!!!! Very little overspray, no atomizing (or very little). It doesn't clog. I dialed it back a bit and it doesn't use as much color as the first time. I have tightened down all knobs and it works great. Thanks Kerry for experimenting on this for all our benefit.

photo3.jpg

Hi all, I've been reading lots of threads from the forum about air compressors and vacuum sealers for cakes and chocolate work, but a lot are a few years old now. I want the vacuum sealer for freezing ganache for later use (as I believe Kerry mentioned in a previous thread) and the compressor/air gun for spraying coloured cocoa butter for moulded chocolates.

I've read through the threads and ended up with sore eyes, so thought I'd just come out and ask.

What would you recommend is the best on the market for about £200-£300 ($300-$450) each? I want something that is robust for my business, but nothing too fiddly.

Thanks!

Edited by AnythingButPlainChocolate (log)

• Similar Content

• By jedovaty
      Hi:

I'm making some homemade peanut butter cups, but shaping them like bon bons instead.  I don't have bon bon molds, so instead I'm dipping the peanut butter centers into tempered chocolate.  As the chocolate coating sets, it contracts and my soft peanut butter center squirts out a little.  Is there a way to prevent this, or do I need to do a second dipping?  I've tried with both frozen and room temp centers (although peanut butter with a little vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar doesn't seem to freeze at all).
    • By Kasia
      Chocolate cake with plums

The first cake I ever dared to bake by myself was a chocolate cake. I have since baked it many times, always using the same recipe, and many times I have spoiled it at the beginning of preparation. It is necessary to cool down the chocolate mixture before adding the rest of the ingredients. On a hot summer day this process is very long, so I accelerated it by putting the pot with the mixture into some cold water in the kitchen sink. Many times, by mistake, I turned on the tap and poured water onto the cooling mixture. In hindsight these situations were amusing, but at the time it wasn't funny.

This chocolate cake is excellent without any additives. You can enrich it with your favourite nuts or butter icing. Today I added some plums to the top of the cake. It was great and its sweet chocolate-plum aroma lingered long in my home.

Ingredients (25cm cake tin):
      200g of flour
      150g of butter
      3 tablespoons of cocoa
      120g of brown sugar
      15ml of almond milk
      100g of dark chocolate
      1 egg
      1 teaspoon of baking powder
      plums

Heat the oven up to 180C. Smooth the cake tin with the butter and sprinkle with dark cocoa.
      Put the butter, milk, sugar, cocoa and chocolate into the pan. Heat it until the chocolate is melted and all the ingredients have blended together well. Leave the mixture to cool down. Add the egg, flour and baking soda and mix them in. Put the dough into the cake tin. Wash the plums, cut them in half and remove the stones. Arrange the plum halves skin side down on top of the cake. Bake for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kerry Beal
      It's that time again - I'm the group leader for a group of newly minted Ecole Chocolat grads taking a masters course. This one is in Wieze, Belgium. You may recall my last trip as group leader for Ecole when I took a group to Valrhona in France.

I got my packing done on Sunday - was all prepared, car was to pick me up at 6 pm to drive me to the airport. Got a little suspicious when the child was late getting off the bus from school - the driver said that the highway wasn't moving well. At about 5:15 I got a call from the limo service to say that the car that was coming to get me had moved 2 car lengths in the last 30 minutes. Apparently a car roll over on the westbound lanes of highway had ejected two people into the eastbound lanes and the entire highway was closed in both directions.

So I set out in my own vehicle - which of course had no gas, and needed oil... at least the toll highway got me past the problem.  Airport wants $175/week to park - so a quick text to @Alleguede and he came to fetch my car from the airport to park in his driveway until I return.

So here I sit in the lounge awaiting my departure.

I'm doing the Jet Lag program that I have done several times before that has worked well for me. Overcoming Jet Lag, by Charles F. Ehret and Lynne Waller Scanlon. This involves food and caffeine modification. So for the past 4 days I've been drinking Rooibos Provence throughout the day and between 3 and 4:30 slugging down as much real tea as my bladder can handle! The dietary part consists of alternating days of 'feasting' and 'fasting' with high protein breakfasts and lunches and high carb dinners. I had planned to get the driver to stop at the Tim Horton's at the top of my street to pick up the black coffee that is to be taken at around 6 pm the day of travel - unfortunately as I was driving myself that didn't happen - so when I hit the lounge I drank down two cups of strong black caffeinated coffee - better late than never. I'm not much of a coffee drinker - and particularly not black. Should be good for some palpitations when I start the next part of the program which is to sleep as soon as I get on the plane!

This is a 'fasting day', 800 calories suggested - I left my carb meal until I reached the lounge.

]

One of the two cups of coffee.

These are the "Gentlemen Retire to the Library' chocolates that I posted before that I am taking along - port wine PDF and tobacco ganache. I used Sosa tobacco flavouring this time instead of a cigar so I don't have to concern myself with nicotine poisoning.

• By pastrygirl
      I'm watching The Sweet Makers on BBC - four British pastry chefs & confectioners recreate Tudor, Georgian, and Victorian sweets with petiod ingredients and equipment. A little British Baking Show, a little Downtown Abbey. 

Check it it out for a slice of pastry history. 

BBC viewer only available to the U.K., but on this side of the pond where there's a will, there's a way. 
    • By boombonniewhale
      Hello! I was wondering if anyone on here has tried using an induction cooktop with confection making (caramels, fondant, marshmallows ect...). My stove has literally three settings, and the low setting still burns sugar and there is no such thing as maintaining any sort of "simmer". I was looking into getting a cooktop and buying some copper sugar pots and mauviel makes this thing that goes inbetween. I would love to hear any input into this idea or your experiences!

~Sarah