• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spraying Chocolate: Equipment, Materials, and Techniques

cakedecorator1968

@CharTruff, I can completely sympathize with the difficulty of making a decision, and that difficulty is compounded by the fact that you are shopping for a product that was not meant for chocolate use--so a lot of guesswork is involved in selecting and many reviews are irrelevant.  I am not familiar with the Iwata HVLP you mention, but it looks good.  I was concerned with what appears to be a plastic cup, but one of the reviews says the spray gun actually comes with a metal cup (an important consideration when you use a heat gun).  That California Air Tools compressor looks great--definitely a purchase for the future (as you say you are purchasing for the long haul).  The big question about HVLP guns, however, is whether the more expensive ones (such as this Iwata) are worth the money.  To try out spray guns, I bought a very inexpensive one (it cost all of $47), and it did an adequate job.  The coverage was considerably faster than with an airbrush.  HVLP guns do use more cocoa butter, sometimes a shocking amount.  Some eGullet members (@Chocolot is one) manage to save the oversprayed cocoa butter and reuse it, but I don't have the patience for that.  She uses a Fuji, so there is a lot of overspray.  I also have a Fuji but, I am sad to admit, no longer use it.  It just used so much cocoa butter that even I (ordinarily an extravagant person when it comes to chocolate equipment and materials) was shocked.  I was not surprised when a thank-you note for my cocoa butter purchases was tucked into a box from Chef Rubber!  There is no question the Fuji is fast, very fast.  It does splattering, but the technique requires a lot of experimenting to get it right.  It does not do gradients very well.  In addition, I found the Fuji cumbersome to use.  It is difficult to know when the spray cup is getting low, and every time you check it, you have to remove the hose that supplies pressure to the cup.  And, a final consideration for me, the overspray on the top of molds is so pronounced that cleaning off the mold is an onerous procedure.  I freely admit that my still-in-the-early-stage skills at coloring molds may come into play in what I say.

One possibility for you to see whether you will be happy with an HVLP gun is to buy an inexpensive one, plus the hose and any couplings it requires, and give it a try.  You would not be out much more than $50.  If you have other questions, I would be happy to share the experiences I have had with spraying molds (most of which are recorded, for better or for worse, in this thread).

• Like 1

@Kerry Beal I agree with you.  I have suffered long enough and finally breaking down to buy an HVLP. 

@Jim D.  Thank you! That's a really good idea.  I know that HVLP gun is going to use a lot more cocoa butter; but I'd like to limit it. I know this has been assessed several times in the past.  But it's such a big investment.  I've also been thinking about the gun that I tried in Melissa's class.  I've been shopping around and I was able to find the SATA 3000 for about $500.  She had limited overspray and it was able to do splatter very well.  (As for the overspray, it may be a bit deceiving because of her big and powerful spray booth).  

I like the idea of using air compressor because I can use the compress air to dry my molds after washing. I have the Iwata coming in a week.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I think what impacts my decision is the amount of effort I need to put into my DIY spray booth.  I figured that the more overspray, the more powerful the motor for the spray booth needs to be.  I'm leaning to making the collapsible version that @Pastrypastmidnight had at her home kitchen. 

Let the spray gun quest continue! 

Edited by CharTruff (log)
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, CharTruff said:

@Jim D.  Thank you! That's a really good idea.  I know that HVLP gun is going to use a lot more cocoa butter; but I'd like to limit it. I know this has been assessed several times in the past.  But it's such a big investment.  I've also been thinking about the gun that I tried in Melissa's class.  I've been shopping around and I was able to find the SATA 3000 for about $500.  She had limited overspray and it was able to do splatter very well.  (As for the overspray, it may be a bit deceiving because of her big and powerful spray booth).  

I like the idea of using air compressor because I can use the compress air to dry my molds after washing. I have the Iwata coming in a week.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I think what impacts my decision is the amount of effort I need to put into my DIY spray booth.  I figured that the more overspray, the more powerful the motor for the spray booth needs to be.  I'm leaning to making the collapsible version that @Pastrypastmidnight had at her home kitchen. 

Let the spray gun quest continue! 

SATA has a very good reputation, but sometimes I wonder if that is because they are so much more expensive than most spray guns.  If you ever get one, I would be interested in knowing your opinion.

I too have been in Melissa's studio and seen her spray booth in action.  If the noise is an indicator, then it is indeed very powerful.  I have  looked into various spray booths (DIY and otherwise) at great length.  During that investigation I concluded that virtually all of the DIYs ones (as seen on Youtube) are intended for paint use.  The big issue with what we do is that cocoa butter builds up and clogs faster.  I made a spray booth out of a large box with a hole cut into the back, into which I inserted an air filter intended for a home heating system, and then I placed a large fan behind the filter.  I finally gave up on the box because the filter was clogged with cocoa butter after a short usage and was virtually useless.  In my opinion--and others will disagree--it's primarily the cocoa butter spraying into the air and back onto the person that is the worst thing, and I don't think a lot can be done about that.  Venting to the outside means that the vent pipe will get clogged with cocoa butter rather quickly.  In Las Vegas I wondered who gets to clean Melissa's vent.

I am currently using two methods of controlling how much cocoa butter I inhale.  I wear a 3M ventilator, and that helps a lot.  It looks weird and is quite uncomfortable, but I no longer blow my nose and see blue or red or green.  The spray booth I use is this CakeSafe one.  It is quite expensive, but it does help.  It has a strong fan and a series of filters that manage to keep any cocoa butter from exiting from the back of the fan box.  And in addition to the initial cost, I am using a lot of the "pre-filters," which catch most of the cocoa butter.  I asked the inventor of the product about this, and he said he envisioned people spraying at 30psi.  I am spraying at closer to 60psi, meaning I have to use more filters, but 30psi took too long to cover molds.  And even this device doesn't stop cocoa butter flying through the air--it hits the box holding the filter and bounces back--and I don't see any way to control that.  A huge spray booth would, I assume, contain it better.  Some colors are worse than others--white and colors containing a large amount of white are the worst.

• Like 1

Ohh I'm afraid that you were going to reference the CakeSafe spray booth.  Which version of the spray booth do you have? Is it the single level or the double decker version?   And how often do you need to replace the filters?  Back to your DIY spray booth, you mentioned that it clogs the filter quite fast. How fast is fast?  Since I am moving to a shared kitchen with no exhaust fans, I need to resolve the spray booth. Thanks for the heads up on the colors and the frequency of changing filters.    

On a side note, I learned that my shared kitchen has a large compressor that can supply a 8000 sq ft production area.  So I think I will stick with the Iwata or SATA.  

Edited by CharTruff (log)

5 hours ago, CharTruff said:

Ohh I'm afraid that you were going to reference the CakeSafe spray booth.  Which version of the spray booth do you have? Is it the single level or the double decker version?   And how often do you need to replace the filters?  Back to your DIY spray booth, you mentioned that it clogs the filter quite fast. How fast is fast?  Since I am moving to a shared kitchen with no exhaust fans, I need to resolve the spray booth. Thanks for the heads up on the colors and the frequency of changing filters.    

On a side note, I learned that my shared kitchen has a large compressor that can supply a 8000 sq ft production area.  So I think I will stick with the Iwata or SATA.  

I have the single level Master spray booth, and it is quite adequate in size.  The inventor/owner of the company told me the taller ones are meant for tall items (such as chocolate showpieces).  If you watch the video of chocolatier Sydney using their two-level one, you will see the booth in action.  I phoned her, and we had a long chat.  She is extremely pleased with the booth.  I am not so extravagant in my praise, but I think Sydney sprays at a lower psi.  I have just resigned myself to using a lot of the "pre-filters."  I bought a roll of the material and cut it myself, thus saving some money.  I change the filter after spraying 6-12 molds (depending entirely on how much cocoa butter comes out of the gun--some colors are much worse than others).  Sydney uses far fewer than that.  Yes, it is an expensive proposition, but I don't make huge number of chocolates at a time, and I am willing to pay for inhaling less cocoa butter.  You might also (as I did) look into a Paasche spray booth.  That was going to be my choice before I found the CakeSafe.  It is the fan that makes the difference.

On 8/25/2021 at 3:21 PM, Jim D. said:

SATA has a very good reputation, but sometimes I wonder if that is because they are so much more expensive than most spray guns.  If you ever get one, I would be interested in knowing your opinion.

I too have been in Melissa's studio and seen her spray booth in action.  If the noise is an indicator, then it is indeed very powerful.  I have  looked into various spray booths (DIY and otherwise) at great length.  During that investigation I concluded that virtually all of the DIYs ones (as seen on Youtube) are intended for paint use.  The big issue with what we do is that cocoa butter builds up and clogs faster.  I made a spray booth out of a large box with a hole cut into the back, into which I inserted an air filter intended for a home heating system, and then I placed a large fan behind the filter.  I finally gave up on the box because the filter was clogged with cocoa butter after a short usage and was virtually useless.  In my opinion--and others will disagree--it's primarily the cocoa butter spraying into the air and back onto the person that is the worst thing, and I don't think a lot can be done about that.  Venting to the outside means that the vent pipe will get clogged with cocoa butter rather quickly.  In Las Vegas I wondered who gets to clean Melissa's vent.

I am currently using two methods of controlling how much cocoa butter I inhale.  I wear a 3M ventilator, and that helps a lot.  It looks weird and is quite uncomfortable, but I no longer blow my nose and see blue or red or green.  The spray booth I use is this CakeSafe one.  It is quite expensive, but it does help.  It has a strong fan and a series of filters that manage to keep any cocoa butter from exiting from the back of the fan box.  And in addition to the initial cost, I am using a lot of the "pre-filters," which catch most of the cocoa butter.  I asked the inventor of the product about this, and he said he envisioned people spraying at 30psi.  I am spraying at closer to 60psi, meaning I have to use more filters, but 30psi took too long to cover molds.  And even this device doesn't stop cocoa butter flying through the air--it hits the box holding the filter and bounces back--and I don't see any way to control that.  A huge spray booth would, I assume, contain it better.  Some colors are worse than others--white and colors containing a large amount of white are the worst.

Jim - not sure where I wrote about it - but the prefilter of the cake safe is just interfacing. So if you take one of the filters with you to a fabric store and compare the various interfacings to it - you can buy several yards for not much money and cut it to size yourself. (oops - I really should read to the end before I post)

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

31 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Jim - not sure where I wrote about it - but the prefilter of the cake safe is just interfacing. So if you take one of the filters with you to a fabric store and compare the various interfacings to it - you can buy several yards for not much money and cut it to size yourself. (oops - I really should read to the end before I post)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "interfacing"?  Finding a fabric store these days is another matter, but one thing at a time.

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "interfacing"?  Finding a fabric store these days is another matter, but one thing at a time.

It's a 'layer' you put into a garment (particularly a tailored one) that adds stiffness or shape to certain parts of the garment. It can be woven or non woven. You want the non woven type.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello All, I have been reading post from this website for the past few years whenever I have questions on baking techniques and methods. Helped me alots!  After all these yrs, i finally want to bring my decoration techniques to the next level but need some helps….i have bought many tools in the last week- master airbrush system , wagner spray gun, paasche spray gun, Cali compressor, fan box, window fan after reading all the posts but i dont know what to do with it 😳 …for velvet spray on my mousse cakes. I have been buying the can cocoa butter velvet spray but the colors are so limited so i have to change my method. Btw, i am a self learned home baker but making mousse cake is my passion …i love looking at the colorful cakes. Watching youtube, baking bakes, joined some limited class onlines…..
Can someone help me on below questions?

1. Do I need to wash all the spray guns / airbrush guns before use? If yes, how? Soap water? 

2. I have attached some pics of the mousse cake I want to make…the color patterns…CAN i use airbrush and not spray gun? I am scare of the overspray inside my house kitchen. When i was using the can velvet spray, the pparticles was everywhere in my house and my 4 air filter machines lol.  
3. from reading lots of velvet spray recipes- requires chocolate &cocoa butter mixtures But when i look at the can velvet spray…it doesnt contains any chocolate as an ingredient.  The question is can i just use colored cocoa butter to create velvet spray?

thanks very much in advance.

2B329990-AA17-4E5A-B780-1CEEE8173388.jpeg

32A68BD3-F47B-4FC2-8CFB-4638F75B28B1.jpeg

AE17C601-1F21-4586-AE52-591C090D87D8.jpeg

223E9FCA-836F-42E6-B2A8-8B3923CC1828.jpeg

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Up until now, with the helpof the wonderful people in this thread i have been using the grex airbrush with a 0.7 needle and it has been great.

Now, with holiday production, i find myself needing something faster, and am considering the fuji spray gun which seems liie it is most recommended here, I just had a few questions-

1. I read here that it isnt very good at gradient- is that a learning curve, or a real issue?

2. What is the recommended needle to use with the q4 system- i see contradicting recommendations between the smallest (0.8 i believe), and around double that (1.6?)?

3. Right now with my airbrush, i need to reheat it every 2 molds. How often does one need to reheat the fuji?

Thank you!

10 hours ago, lironp said:

Hi everyone! Up until now, with the helpof the wonderful people in this thread i have been using the grex airbrush with a 0.7 needle and it has been great.

Now, with holiday production, i find myself needing something faster, and am considering the fuji spray gun which seems liie it is most recommended here, I just had a few questions-

1. I read here that it isnt very good at gradient- is that a learning curve, or a real issue?

2. What is the recommended needle to use with the q4 system- i see contradicting recommendations between the smallest (0.8 i believe), and around double that (1.6?)?

3. Right now with my airbrush, i need to reheat it every 2 molds. How often does one need to reheat the fuji?

Thank you!

Liron,

I have a Fuji Q4 system, though I haven't used it in a while (the Grex suits the quantity of my production better).  There is no question the Fuji is faster, BUT there are a lot of issues to consider.  Following the lead of others on eG, particularly @Kerry Beal, there is a standard setup (such as the TG75 cup) for use with chocolate.  The recommended needle is the gold-colored 1.5 one.  You also need the extra more flexible hose and the remote control to turn the Fuji on and off.

Negative Issues:  The TG75 cup is pressurized, meaning that every time you need to open the cup, you have to turn off the Fuji, remove a plastic hose from the cup, then replace that hose.  It's not a difficult maneuver, but it is time-consuming.  There is a lot of overspray, a major amount, and it's tough to clean that off a mold.  Having switched to the Grex, I now use maybe 1/4 of the cocoa butter I used with the Fuji.  I did gradients with the Fuji, but they aren't as good.  It is quite possible that was due to the technique of the person doing the spraying, but the power of the Fuji is so strong that it's quite difficult to reduce coverage at the edge of the gradient (which, of course, is the whole purpose of a gradient).  We had to do gradients in the Andrey Dubovik course some of us took a few years ago, and, if I recall correctly, Kerry wrote at that time about difficulty with the Fuji and gradients.

Positives:  There is no denying the speed of covering molds with the Fuji.  Like you I have to reheat the Grex about every two molds (depending on the temp of the spraying area).  With the Fuji, reheating is less often, maybe every four molds, but reheating is still necessary.  You don't want to let the Fuji get to the point where the cocoa butter is solidifying because there is a lot more sprayer area to heat than with the Grex.  The recommended Fuji cup holds much more than the largest Grex cup, so less frequent refilling.  The Fuji may not do gradients perfectly, but it does make splattering fairly easy--you have to experiment with each color to get just the right size of drops, but it does work (a great disappointment with the Grex is that it does not do splattering).

14 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I just tried that, and the hose coils around the cup as I unscrew the cap so that it's so tight the cap is nearly impossible to remove.

It twists at the top - may need to loosen the nut inside. 

18 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It twists at the top - may need to loosen the nut inside. 

As I said, I may be missing something (we won't explore all the possible meanings of that statement).  I was so unaccustomed to spraying under the substantial pressure of the Fuji that I didn't tamper with anything about the initial setup (including, obviously, the nut at the top of the spray gun).  So, @lironp, please note this correction to my pros and cons of the Fuji.  I will say, however, that screwing off the cap of the cup holding the cocoa butter does take longer than simply pulling off the cap of the cup on the Grex (or any airbrush).  IMHO, the only way to get really fast coverage of a mold is with a spray gun.  I have a cheap one that works well and is less complicated than the Fuji, and people (such as Melissa Coppel) like the SATA, but I think the Fuji is the best in terms of quality.  Just be prepared to place more frequent orders with Chef Rubber (or your supplier of choice for colored cocoa butter).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

(a great disappointment with the Grex is that it does not do splattering).

Mine does! 😂  Like so much with chocolate, gotta adjust the pressure juuuuust right. Made these yesterday:

A4100A43-6CAA-413F-BA85-C032FB4414E8.thumb.jpeg.b880741ad3ba97394bb6e7f94c0f5548.jpeg

959D32DC-7E63-4F5D-A17E-0CC6692F9A3A.thumb.jpeg.68709ad41cd065deee14f0c53748d830.jpeg

Edited by pastrygirl (log)
  • Like 1

Liron, 

I recently was trying to decide between Fuji system and all the other types of spray gun.  I ended up buying an Iwata's spray gun similar to the one that Melissa has. Ultimately the reason why I bought the Iwata comes down to 2 things: 1) my shared kitchen has a huge air compressor; so it's one less thing to buy, and 2) I wanted to have a system that would allow me to connect a regular air gun.  (I live in an area where we notoriously have hard water.  So I would need to dry my molds right after it's washed. )

The Iwata's spray gun is about $300.  But regardless what you buy, there's going to be a big learning curve in adjusting between airbrush and spray gun.  And you'll have to figure out, the right amount of pressure that you need to be efficient in your process while limiting the overspray.  As everyone have mentioned, the spray gun will have more overspray. I have seen Melissa do a splatter spray with her Iwata.  And I have yet to figure out the pressure and how small the opening needs to be for the air nozzle.  

Lastly you would need to invest in some kind of spray booth, if you don't have one already. 

Good luck!

On 10/25/2021 at 11:12 AM, Jim D. said:

As I said, I may be missing something (we won't explore all the possible meanings of that statement).  I was so unaccustomed to spraying under the substantial pressure of the Fuji that I didn't tamper with anything about the initial setup (including, obviously, the nut at the top of the spray gun).  So, @lironp, please note this correction to my pros and cons of the Fuji.  I will say, however, that screwing off the cap of the cup holding the cocoa butter does take longer than simply pulling off the cap of the cup on the Grex (or any airbrush).  IMHO, the only way to get really fast coverage of a mold is with a spray gun.  I have a cheap one that works well and is less complicated than the Fuji, and people (such as Melissa Coppel) like the SATA, but I think the Fuji is the best in terms of quality.  Just be prepared to place more frequent orders with Chef Rubber (or your supplier of choice for colored cocoa butter).

I just got my new fuji :) i have no problem opening the cap, so it may be something that can be adjusted? 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 2:48 PM, CharTruff said:

Liron, 

I recently was trying to decide between Fuji system and all the other types of spray gun.  I ended up buying an Iwata's spray gun similar to the one that Melissa has. Ultimately the reason why I bought the Iwata comes down to 2 things: 1) my shared kitchen has a huge air compressor; so it's one less thing to buy, and 2) I wanted to have a system that would allow me to connect a regular air gun.  (I live in an area where we notoriously have hard water.  So I would need to dry my molds right after it's washed. )

The Iwata's spray gun is about $300.  But regardless what you buy, there's going to be a big learning curve in adjusting between airbrush and spray gun.  And you'll have to figure out, the right amount of pressure that you need to be efficient in your process while limiting the overspray.  As everyone have mentioned, the spray gun will have more overspray. I have seen Melissa do a splatter spray with her Iwata.  And I have yet to figure out the pressure and how small the opening needs to be for the air nozzle.  

Lastly you would need to invest in some kind of spray booth, if you don't have one already. 

Good luck!

Thank you! I ended up getting the fuji- i do a lot of detailed work with my grex, so plan on keeping them both around. Having the fuji connected to the turbine is actually an advantage for me so i dont need to switch between airbrush and spray gun. I managed to splatter with it, just haven't manage to not paint the entire room yet 🤣

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 1:45 PM, Jim D. said:

Oh, it seems someone forgot to tell you about an "unadvertised feature" of the Fuji--painting of the spray room is automatic.

🤣🤣🤣 We have a nice purple splatter all over now, my husband is ready to kill me!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 12:53 AM, Jim D. said:

Congratulations on taking this significant step.  We will be looking for samples of your work in the future.  I am sure fame and fortune are just around the corner!  Well, fame at least.

Finally got to around using this setup.

20211213_055742.thumb.jpg.3eac1f506aeca8afb67cca30d2689ce4.jpg

Flavors (left to right):
Strawberry Shortcake 
Lemon Tart 
Matcha Yuzu Jasmine 
Raspberry 
Sesame, Miso Caramel, Peppercorn Toffee 
Vietnamese Coffee
Passion Fruit And Mango 
Banana Bread

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Hello All, new to posting at eGullet.  I am currently looking for recommendations on an airbrush or gun that can do both splatter visuals and traditional misting.  This would be for a product that might not be produced by someone who is too familiar with the ins and outs of chocolate and cocoa butter, but would be provided with detailed training and SOPS. So it would need to be a machine that is relatively easy to use and would have a consistent setting/psi for either application (splatter, or misting).  It seems like the Fuji Q4 with pressurized gravity feed cup would most likely be our best options after reading through most of the 35 pages of content. We will have a spray booth (also looking for recs on that as well) so that the mess and overspray will be contained.  We are starting with decorated chocolate bars before we venture out into the bonbon realm.  Currently we have a Grex Side Gravity Feed (0.5mm needle) with a Silentaire Dr-500 compressor.  We also have compressed air lines in our lab as well that we use for our Selmi Comfit panner.  All recommendations are greatly appreciated and welcome.  I love all the advice and camaraderie on this thread and others about chocolate. @Jim D.@Kerry Beal@schneich@Chocolat have given me so much insight in all their previous posts.  Also if anyone is in the New England (MA) area and perhaps has a tool we can see in action, that would be amazing! Thank you all in advance.

2 hours ago, Lauren S. said:
  • Hello All, new to posting at eGullet.  I am currently looking for recommendations on an airbrush or gun that can do both splatter visuals and traditional misting.  This would be for a product that might not be produced by someone who is too familiar with the ins and outs of chocolate and cocoa butter, but would be provided with detailed training and SOPS. So it would need to be a machine that is relatively easy to use and would have a consistent setting/psi for either application (splatter, or misting).  It seems like the Fuji Q4 with pressurized gravity feed cup would most likely be our best options after reading through most of the 35 pages of content. We will have a spray booth (also looking for recs on that as well) so that the mess and overspray will be contained.  We are starting with decorated chocolate bars before we venture out into the bonbon realm.  Currently we have a Grex Side Gravity Feed (0.5mm needle) with a Silentaire Dr-500 compressor.  We also have compressed air lines in our lab as well that we use for our Selmi Comfit panner.  All recommendations are greatly appreciated and welcome.  I love all the advice and camaraderie on this thread and others about chocolate. @Jim D.@Kerry Beal@schneich@Chocolat have given me so much insight in all their previous posts.  Also if anyone is in the New England (MA) area and perhaps has a tool we can see in action, that would be amazing! Thank you all in advance.

I am impressed with how well you do your homework.  The Fuji will indeed do both splatter and regular spraying, but you would not be able to give your assistant consistent directions, for the simple reason that the air regulation required for splattering varies from one color to another.  But the person could probably learn to use trial and error to get the spray you want.  I have a Fuji but no longer use it very much because of all the cocoa butter it uses and my relatively small production.  I should note that @lironp, who got a Fuji fairly recently, says she has conquered the amount of overspray (she lives in your area).  I use a Grex (gravity-feed) and use a toothbrush for splattering.  In my opinion the splatter from the Fuji and from the toothbrush are indistinguishable.  I should add that @pastrygirl has somehow mastered splattering with the Grex, but in my very lengthy efforts I never attained that goal.

I have a CakeSafe spray booth that I like a lot.  It is not really intended for the amount of overspray that the Fuji puts out, and even with the Grex, I have to change the filters often.  But it is the best option I have found.  Your operation sounds large, so you may have the resources to have a spray booth built with outside venting--though it is a point capitalized on by the CakeSafe inventor that cocoa butter is not the same as paint and settles more quickly on everything around it (which would include venting ducts).  The CakeSafe captures the cocoa butter immediately as it is sprayed, no duct necessary.  But large professional spray booths are what major chocolatiers (such as Melissa Coppel) have.  I suspect they have these specially built.  Smaller spray booths are ordinarily aimed at hobbyists using paint, but there are large ones (Chef Rubber has one) you might look at.  I use a ventilator from 3M that works well to keep the cocoa butter out of my lungs.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 6:27 PM, Louise nadine brill said:

oh yes, please - I’d Very much appreciate a list of what you bought soup to nuts - whatever i need to attach it to my CAT air compressor. I have to admit that i have a terrible  setup with my Iwata. I have the last coupler right at the base of the airbrush and I am still on the 1/4” hose. I know it’s bad,  very uncomfortable - but It works...and i am scared that if I disassemble It - I’ll never get working again 🙄.  I did,  early on, buy a LVLP Sprayit gun and the cocoa butter cloud was like a dust storm....All i could think was “aaarrgghh precious precious cocoa butter..how much have i just wasted?!”. It was from your informative posts that I decided to stop coveting the Fujispray, at least for now, or until I can afford to lose that much coca butter to overspray 😁. My quest for a perfect peach bonbon has been arduous as well. I make a lot peach jam every year and it tastes great - so, i was really surprised at how much Peach flavour was lost when making pate de fruit (which would be an obvious way to try and inject fruit flavour into your bonbon). On this batch, I spiked my PDF with some amoretti flavour, and also added some to my bourbon ganache. Of course, I added too much. 😫😫 However, it’s worth another go. Maybe just add some to my PDF and leave it at that. Maybe  there is a reason we don’t think of “peaches and chocolate” the way we think of “raspberries and chocolate“.

@Louise nadine brillwas going through this post about your Peach PDF, have you tried adding a supporting fruit like apricot? I know Boiron has an amazing PDF chart that i use as a rough guideline. I know you can use their peach puree on its own, but I find with delicate flavors that can lose their flavor integrity when cooking it can be beneficial to use a supporting booster fruit.  Some fruits like Pineapple, Lime, etc have to be supported due to the acid amount or enzymatic activity, like bromelain, but in doing so you use the base fruit (usually apricot or peach), cook, then add the other purees closer to the end of cooking.  They turn out less jammy/oxidized/caramelized and the flavor pops more.