• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

1 hour ago, Louise nadine brill said:

Liron! How nice to see you here 😁 I am surprised we didn’t run into each other here before the FB groups were started. My bonbon education is almost all from egullet University…particularly from @Jim D , @Kerry Beal, @pastrygirl. We talked about how jealous I was that you got the Fujispray…and I am curious how you resolved the overspray and or cocoa butter cloud issues. I have managed surprisingly well with my Iwatas and Grex but during high production times I am forever cursing them, for clogging up. I’d also love to know which setup you bought. I know @Kerry Beal had created a chocolatier’s list with the folks at Fujispray several years ago. Wondering if it is still the same.  

I know you didn't address this to me, but since I am a recent "re-convert" to Fuji, I might have some useful information.  A few days ago, in a rush to get the Valentine's batch done, I fired up my Grex.  Several hours later I had sprayed only a handful of molds.  I had to reheat it every couple of minutes (the room was 68-70F, so that was not the issue).  This happened once before, and Grex tech support had me ship the airbrush to them, they cleaned it, said there was nothing wrong except for some hardened cocoa butter.  It worked very well for a long time...until last week.  But I just can't depend on equipment that is not...well, not dependable.  So I got out the Fuji (fortunately two people to whom I had offered it for sale both said no), followed @lironp's fantastic advice for controlling overspray and excess use of cocoa butter, and finished up the molds in record time.  I'm not saying the Fuji is perfect (I can go into the issues I had if desired), but this time it certainly has worked better for me than the Grex.  I think the larger spray tip on the Fuji is the primary explanation.  And yes, there is a "chocolatier's setup" for the Fuji that you need to buy.  Fuji prices appear to be the same everywhere, but with Amazon, there is the bonus of free shipping with Prime.  Interestingly, since the last time I dealt with Fuji tech support, the website now includes a section on chocolatiers' use of the Fuji and @Kerry Bealis prominently featured.  Finally it would seem the Fuji people are waking up to the possibilities of selling the stuff to chocolatiers.

Jim D.

Jim D.

56 minutes ago, Louise nadine brill said:

Liron! How nice to see you here 😁 I am surprised we didn’t run into each other here before the FB groups were started. My bonbon education is almost all from egullet University…particularly from @Jim D , @Kerry Beal, @pastrygirl. We talked about how jealous I was that you got the Fujispray…and I am curious how you resolved the overspray and or cocoa butter cloud issues. I have managed surprisingly well with my Iwatas and Grex but during high production times I am forever cursing them, for clogging up. I’d also love to know which setup you bought. I know @Kerry Beal had created a chocolatier’s list with the folks at Fujispray several years ago. Wondering if it is still the same.  

I know you didn't address this to me, but since I am a recent "re-convert" to Fuji, I might have some useful information.  A few days ago, in a rush to get the Valentine's batch done, I fired up my Grex.  Several hours later I had sprayed only a handful of molds.  I had to reheat it every couple of minutes (the room was 68-70F, so that was not the issue).  This happened once before, and Grex tech support had me ship the airbrush to them, they cleaned it, said there was nothing wrong except for some hardened cocoa butter.  It worked very well for a long time...until last week.  But I just can't depend on equipment that is not...well, not dependable.  So I got out the Fuji (fortunately two people to whom I had offered it for sale both said no), followed @lironp's fantastic advice for controlling overspray and excess use of cocoa butter, and finished up the molds in record time.  I'm not saying the Fuji is perfect (I can into the issues I had if desired), but it certainly has worked better for me than the Grex.  I think the larger spray tip on the Fuji is the primary explanation.  And yes, there is a "chocolatier's setup" for the Fuji. that you need to buy.  Fuji prices appear to be the same everywhere, but with Amazon, there is the bonus of free shipping with Prime.  Interestingly, since the last time I dealt with Fuji tech support, the website now includes a section on chocolatiers' use of the Fuji and @Kerry Bealis prominently featured.  Finally it would seem the Fuji people are waking up to the possibilities of selling the stuff to chocolatiers.