• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CharTruff

CharTruff

@Kerry Beal I agree with you.  I have suffered long enough and finally breaking down to buy an HVLP. 

@Jim D.  Thank you! That's a really good idea.  I know that HVLP gun is going to use a lot more cocoa butter; but I'd like to limit it. I know this has been assessed several times in the past.  But it's such a big investment.  I've also been thinking about the gun that I tried in Melissa's class.  I've been shopping around and I was able to find the SATA 3000 for about $500.  She had limited overspray and it was able to do splatter very well.  (As for the overspray, it may be a bit deceiving because of her big and powerful spray booth).  

I like the idea of using air compressor because I can use the compress air to dry my molds after washing. I have the Iwata coming in a week.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I think what impacts my decision is the amount of effort I need to put into my DIY spray booth.  I figured that the more overspray, the more powerful the motor for the spray booth needs to be.  I'm leaning to making the collapsible version that @Pastrypastmidnight had at her home kitchen. 

Let the spray gun quest continue! 

CharTruff

CharTruff

@Kerry Beal I agree with you.  I have suffered long enough and finally breaking down to buy an HVLP. 

@Jim D.  Thank you! That's a really good idea.  I know that HVLP gun is going to use a lot more cocoa butter; but I'd like to limit it. I know this has been assessed several times in the past.  But it's such a big investment.  I've also been thinking about the gun that I tried in Melissa's class.  I've been shopping around and I was able to find the SATA 3000 for about $500.  She had limited overspray and it was able to do splatter very well.  (As for the overspray, it may be a bit deceiving because of her big and powerful spray booth).  

I like the idea of using air compressor because I can use the compress air to dry my molds after washing. I have the Iwata coming in a week.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

Let the spray gun quest continue!