• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

Did you see my recent post about a toaster oven that came on without me being anywhere near it at the time?  Don't tell Hubby this, or you'll lose your water heater.

I'm still trying to picture anyone telling you what to do. 

I saw that - and I didn't tell him! It's his water heater though - my kettle gets boiled every morning for my tea. To be fair - hubby makes it for me. 

C'mon now - do I seem the type who can't be told what to do?

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

20 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Did you see my recent post about a toaster oven that came on without me being anywhere near it at the time?  Don't tell Hubby this, or you'll lose your water heater.

I'm still trying to picture anyone telling you what to do. 

I saw that - and I didn't tell him! It's his water heater though - my kettle gets boiled every morning for my tea. To be fair - hubby makes it for me. 

• Similar Content

• By no10
      Hello eGForums,

I'm curious if anyone has purchased these ganache and caramel ruler bars (https://www.tcfsales.com/products/658-ganache-and-caramel-ruler-bars-set-of-2-ea/) from TCF before or has experience with this company? Are they a reputable company?

It costs $87.96 (not including shipping) to purchase 4 stainless steel square bars, measuring 1/2" x 1/2" x 15" L, which seems like a reasonable price relative to other companies. Correct me if I'm wrong. Does anyone suggest other companies to purchase bars from?

On a related topic, I know that a possibly more affordable alternative would be to visit a local metal fabricator and purchase metal bars from them. My concern is purchasing bars that are made from an alloy and finish that is 'food-safe'. Does anyone know what grade/alloy and finish of stainless steel is 'food-safe'? Does anyone know what grade/alloy and finish of aluminum is 'food-safe'?

• By no10
      Several of Greweling's recipes call for the use of a round piping tip. I'm not familiar with what sizing system he's using. When he says to use a "no. [integer] round tip", what does the [integer] correspond to in millimeters or inches? For example, what is the diameter of a no. 3 round tip used by Greweling?
    • By Darienne
      I own a particular Tomric mold, Disc no# I-2023:.16" x 1.30 (dia) .14 oz/4g. 30 cavity.   It's been so long since I actually worked with chocolate and this is for mixing in an isolate pharmaceutical and so I need to get it right.  I'm not functioning as well as I would wish and am asking for help. 

I need to make 25 discs in this mold.  Can someone please tell me how much chocolate I should use.   Does the blurb after the disc number mean that each cavity holds 4 g.?

Thanks. Oh I don't have a scale which registers much less than 4 g.  It's an inexpensive Starfrit and we use it to weigh the dogs' food. 
    • By Choky
      At least in Europe comercial chocolate tablets are getting thinner. Usually 6mm thick and of course bigger in area.

But I don't manage to find that kind of molds at manufacturer's sites (80 or 100g). Or at least choice is very limited.

Why? Maybe too thin for manual unmolding? Or they just use bigger molds and fill partially? 

Thanks!
    • By aussiebarracuda
      Having a suprisingly difficult time trying to track some down in melbourne. Anyone seen someone who stocks them?