• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

2 hours ago, Jim D. said:

@Kerry Beal, beautiful shine on the shells. What's the climate like in your space?

I didn't know you had sprung for a Tritium. So how do you like it?  And how does it compare (in your use) with the Fuji?  I like that the Grex people are getting more inquiries and sales from chocolatiers because the more they know about what we do and how we use their equipment, the more help they can be (in my theory, at least). For example, I would love a larger stainless or aluminum cup than the largest they make.

As I have stated, I use mostly the Grex for normal production (Christmas is another matter), but last week I got out the Fuji for splattering. No question, it does a good job (depending on the skill of the splatterer, of course), usually better than a toothbrush.

And, last question, what PSI are you using to spray?  I am using 60, tried lowering it last week, kept wondering why it was taking so long to cover molds, raised PSI back to 60, got much better results. You do use more cocoa butter and there is more backspray/overspray, but....I guess Chef Rubber has to make its money somehow and that's why they make respirators.

I did spring for the CakeSafe spray booth and am liking it very much. It faces head-on the issue that cocoa butter is a different substance from the paint that is normally airbrushed and takes a completely different approach. Rather than suck the cocoa butter out through a hose, this device filters it out at the source of spraying, which, of course, means replacing a filter rather often.

Just ran down to check the temperature of my room - IR thermometer tells me it's around 22.5º C. Humidity in the house is around 47%

I couldn't make it splatter yet - thought I might be able to like the Fuji by turning down the intake but no joy there. I need to pull out that other little piece we got to see if I can get that to work. 

I must say that I like it a lot with the set up I have now. I'm using 60 PSI - haven't experimented with any other pressures - perhaps it might splatter with a lower pressure?

I got a rather large cup to go with it - I've got 3 sizes of cup - I think the biggest might be 90 ml but I don't see it on the website. (nope - it's the 50 ml)

Did you get the commercial spray booth? Do they make a washable filter?

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

@Kerry Beal, beautiful shine on the shells. What's the climate like in your space?

I didn't know you had sprung for a Tritium. So how do you like it?  And how does it compare (in your use) with the Fuji?  I like that the Grex people are getting more inquiries and sales from chocolatiers because the more they know about what we do and how we use their equipment, the more help they can be (in my theory, at least). For example, I would love a larger stainless or aluminum cup than the largest they make.

As I have stated, I use mostly the Grex for normal production (Christmas is another matter), but last week I got out the Fuji for splattering. No question, it does a good job (depending on the skill of the splatterer, of course), usually better than a toothbrush.

And, last question, what PSI are you using to spray?  I am using 60, tried lowering it last week, kept wondering why it was taking so long to cover molds, raised PSI back to 60, got much better results. You do use more cocoa butter and there is more backspray/overspray, but....I guess Chef Rubber has to make its money somehow and that's why they make respirators.

I did spring for the CakeSafe spray booth and am liking it very much. It faces head-on the issue that cocoa butter is a different substance from the paint that is normally airbrushed and takes a completely different approach. Rather than suck the cocoa butter out through a hose, this device filters it out at the source of spraying, which, of course, means replacing a filter rather often.

Just ran down to check the temperature of my room - IR thermometer tells me it's around 22.5º C. Humidity in the house is around 47%

I couldn't make it splatter yet - thought I might be able to like the Fuji by turning down the intake but no joy there. I need to pull out that other little piece we got to see if I can get that to work. 

I must say that I like it a lot with the set up I have now. I'm using 60 PSI - haven't experimented with any other pressures - perhaps it might splatter with a lower pressure?

I got a rather large cup to go with it - I've got 3 sizes of cup - I think the biggest might be 90 ml but I don't see it on the website. 

Did you get the commercial spray booth? Do they make a washable filter?