• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Rajala

Rajala

@leopardotsHow has the Sparmax been working for you?

For everyone else who might read;

I'm currently looking to get a compressor and some kind of paint gun / airbrush. However, I'm not sure exactly what to get. So far, by reading this thread, it seems like I should use a .5 mm nozzle for cocoa butter. However, will this be able to handle something with higher viscosity, like a mixture och chocolate and cocoa butter for spraying froze mousse to get the velvet effect? Or would I need a wider nozzle for that? I also read some comments that I need 60 PSI to get the high gloss shine on my chocolate bonbons. Is this totally true? Will it be dull and lifeless(lol), if I'm working at 40 PSI? There are lots of compressor claiming 60 PSI, however, they won't last long at all at that number.

One thing to note is; I'm doing this as a hobby. I will not spray more than 2-4 moulds at a time. So it doesn't have to be a crazy expensive compressor just to be able to spray 15 of them in a couple of minutes. 

I've been looking at https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Sparmax-TC-610H-Airbrush-Compressor.html#SID=2025 and think that I will get it, but some input from you guys regarding nozzle width, PSI and shine would be really helpful.

@pastrygirl

How has the compressor you bought from Amazon been working for you? Have you bought something new or are you still working with it?

Rajala

Rajala

@leopardotsHow has the Sparmax been working for you?

For everyone else who might read;

I'm currently looking to get a compressor and some kind of paint gun / airbrush. However, I'm not sure exactly what to get. So far, by reading this thread, it seems like I should use a .5 mm nozzle for cocoa butter. However, will this be able to handle something with lower viscosity, like a mixture och chocolate and cocoa butter for spraying froze mousse to get the velvet effect? Or would I need a wider nozzle for that? I also read some comments that I need 60 PSI to get the high gloss shine on my chocolate bonbons. Is this totally true? Will it be dull and lifeless(lol), if I'm working at 40 PSI? There are lots of compressor claiming 60 PSI, however, they won't last long at all at that number.

One thing to note is; I'm doing this as a hobby. I will not spray more than 2-4 moulds at a time. So it doesn't have to be a crazy expensive compressor just to be able to spray 15 of them in a couple of minutes. 

I've been looking at https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Sparmax-TC-610H-Airbrush-Compressor.html#SID=2025 and think that I will get it, but some input from you guys regarding nozzle width, PSI and shine would be really helpful.

@pastrygirl

How has the compressor you bought from Amazon been working for you? Have you bought something new or are you still working with it?