• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Monthly Reader's Choice Awards

Rosie

New Jersey Monthly's Reader's Poll came out today. Chefs who post on eGullet get a special congratulations and I would like to say CONGRATULATIONS to Chef Lou Reda from An American Grill who won Best New American (North). Some of the other winners were Andre's in Newton-Best of the Best-North; The Ryland Inn, Restaurant Nicholas and The Frog and the Peach who received Best of the Best-Central; Il Mondo Vecchio Best Casual Italian-North; and Scalini Fedeli Best Fine Italian North.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie--were NJ Monthly readers polled on their favorite New York restaurants as well? In fact, was the wording of the poll to vote for their "favorite" or the "best" in each category--or was the distinction not made?

Congratulations Lou and also to David at Nicholas and the Frog and Peach folks. That's darn impressive to be mentioned in the same breath as that Ryland Inn--and interesting since the Frog only got a "Very good" ranking from the NYTimes.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

yes, Tommy, these polls are very entertaining, but in the same way people try to predict who'll win the Academy awards, these polls are a good way to take the pulse of:

1) whether the readership considers the same restaurants to be the best as do the local food media and restaurant critics a la Rosie, Ms. Cook, Mr. Corcoran, the Bergen Record, etc.--which hints at the possible reach and influence of the critics;

2) whether the chefs and food pros within the industry agree, and consider the same restaurants as the readership does to be the best or most favorite --and if not, why not?

Then 3) there's another angle that some might find interesting--and that is the role pandering and advertising possibly plays in these glossy city or regional monthly magazines--and whether this form of restaurant coverage and review is inherently more conflicted and less reliable than that area's newspaper critics. There's a higher standard emerging in this arena--Washingtonian magazine has been doing a fantastic job with restaurant, food and wine coverage, look at what Corby Kummer is doing at Boston Magazine and my personal favorite, Patrick Kuh at LA Magazine.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

to apply any qualitative analysis to them is nothing more than an exercise in frustration

Another one of those rare occasions when I completely agree with Tommy :biggrin:

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

Rosie--were NJ Monthly readers polled on their favorite New York restaurants as well?  In fact, was the wording of the poll to vote for their "favorite" or the "best" in each category--or was the distinction not made?

Congratulations Lou and also to David at Nicholas and the Frog and Peach folks.  That's darn impressive to be mentioned in the same breath as that Ryland Inn--and interesting since the Frog only got a "Very good" ranking from the NYTimes.

Steve--NEW JERSEY Monthly only polls readers on NJ restaurants. Readers were able to vote on the internet

and with a form that was in the magazine.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

While honored to win for the 3rd staright year for New American in the North against some very good restaurants we have to remember this is a reader's poll. A comparision would be MLB All-star voting which is done by the fans. While I am a die-hard Met's fan it was obvious Mike Piazza did not have a All-star year he was voted in this year. Why? Reputation perhaps? Familiarity, could be. Am I glad? Of course, it's a shot in the arm during the quiet summer months of July & August when a majority of my clientelle is vacationing.

As far a advertising goes, before winning Best Undiscovered 5 years ago I had never advertised and still didn't for a year til winning New American. Even at this point, I still place ads perhaps 4 out of 12 months. Whether there is a corollation I don't know. One thing I do know is NJ Monthly has still never reviewed me.

Now you'll all have to excuse me because I have to prepare for what seems to be a busy weekend ( Thank God). I've been in the kitchen since 7:30 this morning perparing specials for the weekend. ( Better have new specials for the weekend or believe me I'll hear it)

P.S. Thanks to those of you who voted for us, Lou

:smile: