• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gagnaire Substitute

pjvent

Hi there everyone. I'm heading to Paris in a month and was looking forward to returning to Pierre Gagnaire; unfortunately the restaurant is going to be closed when we're there. Any thoughts on a substitute? My hotel has recommended L'Ambroisie...my tastes, though, are more in the WD-50/Gagnaire realm. If anyone can recommend a Gagnaire-type substitute I'd appreciate it, or if people think I should stick with L'Ambroisie I'm more than willing to do so. Thanks in advance for any help!

L'Ambroisie couldn't be more different from Gagnaire/WD-50 type places. It is superb, one of my favorites, but very classic nouvelle cuisine.

If you're more interested in the contemporary vein, I'd try L'Astrance or l'Arpege. Guy Savoy is another possibility.

Perhaps les Magnolias out in the 'burbs. I ate there once and was more impressed by the creativity than pleased by the flavors and tastes, but many I respect are devoted fans.

Did your hotel suggest l'Ambroisie as a substitute for Gagnaire, or just as a superb restaurant? If the former, it doesn't seem as if they are offering personal service. If they can get you a reservation at l'Ambroisie, it must certainly be said they are offering service however.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I gave them L'Ambroisie as one of three or so to ask them to recommend (I believe L'Astrance was also on there). They recommended L'Ambroisie and were able to secure a reservation; trust me, I'm thrilled. In thinking it over, though, I was thinking that I'd prefer something a bit more similar to Gagnaire (and your recommendation is a good one)...but I'm happy either way. It's a good problem to have.

You could always go to Gaya-Rive Gauche for lunch. It's Gagnaire's 'new' baby restaurant that just acheived Michelin-star status. I doubt that it is anything like as creative as THE restaurant, itself. Still has Gagnaire's overview, though.

I am definitely a member of the Magnolia fan club - hot mustard macaroons with young rabbit cookies and other wild creations. It's a bit of a trek from Paris for dinner, however.

Food glorious food, nothing quite like it...