• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Toast or Breakfast Hot 'n' Tasty

Anonymouze

Guess its just one of those personal preference things when it comes to mac & potato salad.  The shaved potatos and the dressing are a favorite with many friends and relatives of mine.  In fact, I have relatives who request I bring down the potato whenever I go.  Aura Deli, though cute name, has yet to impress me.  Ted's is the old standby for Komsas fries from long ago but again, ordinary salads, nothing special to keep us going back.  Different strokes.

Absoluitely, personal preference. Just to clarify, I like Teds for sandwiches. Aura Deli has the great salads. Just a nice coating of dressing on the cole slaw and potato salad. Shreibers salads are literally swimming in a pool of dressing. Their tuna salad is about 80% mayonnaise.

Have you tried Aura Deli salads?

Yes, I've had their sandwiches and salads along with a number of converstions with the owner of Aura Deli (the funniest one that comes to mind was about their amusing name (his wife thought it up). Sandwiches and salads made little impression on me and I haven't been back there in over a year. My daughter got a chance to work at Schreibers in 8th grade and her mission was to find and write down the potato salad recipe...lol. Haven't tried their tuna salad... only talking about potato and mac.

Sorry, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to have french toast delivered, as it would be a soggy mess!  Plus, it's just so easy to make--even if you don't 'cook' much...

Back to the French toast topic. Stacey...here you go...

Take out a non-stick saute pan. Add a big old pat of butter and put it on a burner. Don't turn it on yet.

Take two nice slices of bread (a lovely challah is great).

Take a little bowl, like a cereal bowl even, and add three eggs. Beat the heck out of them with a fork. Now add some milk, or better half and half, or the best, a little heavy cream. About three tablespoons. Now, add a splash of vanilla.

Turn the heat on your pan; medium heat will suffice. You don't want to burn that butter...

Take those slices of bread and dunk 'em good in the egg mixture. Coat them, but don't leave 'em in too long.

Now, place the bread in the pan. After about two minutes or so, take a little spatula and peek at the side that's in the pan. If its GBD (golden brown and delicious) go ahead and flip it. Same thing on that side.

Now, go ahead and slather it with butter and maple syrup.

Take out a fork, then a knife...

See, Dear, you can cook! No need for delivery of French toast!

::Sniffle:: Now I have to cook? :shock:

Oh my goodness... :blink: let's see if I can find where the stove is, :huh: hmmm and then how would I turn a burner on with butter on it? :raz: Uh oh, if I have to dunk the bread won't my finely manicured nails get covered with gooey egg? :wacko: Oh no! Maybe I can coerce Jeff to do it :wink: (evil grin) nah, nevermind I'll try it one day when I'm feeling up to an adventure in cooking.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Sorry, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to have french toast delivered, as it would be a soggy mess!  Plus, it's just so easy to make--even if you don't 'cook' much...

Take out a non-stick saute pan. Add a big old pat of butter and put it on a burner. Don't turn it on yet.

Take a little bowl, like a cereal bowl even, and add three eggs. Beat the heck out of them with a fork. Now add some milk, or better half and half, or the best, a little heavy cream. About three tablespoons. Now, add a splash of vanilla.

Turn the heat on your pan; medium heat will suffice. You don't want to burn that butter...

Take those slices of bread and dunk 'em good in the egg mixture. Coat them, but don't leave 'em in too long.

Now, place the bread in the pan. After about two minutes or so, take a little spatula and peek at the side that's in the pan. If its GBD (golden brown and delicious) go ahead and flip it. Same thing on that side.

For total decadence add a splash of OJ or better yet, Grand Marnier. We beat the cream a bit before adding.

What she said. Especially the part about using challah. :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I love making French Toast and found this handy alternative to the dunking of the bread: Use a cookie sheet. Basically, put 8 slices (or however few you need) on a cookie sheet, pour the egg mixture over the bread. After a minute or so, flip them over and then proceed to brown them in your frying pan.

Country Pancake House - huge portions, quality not great in regard to the pancakes. Has anyone posting here tried the French Toast at Country Pancake House.

My sister loves the French Toast here. If I recall correctly, they make it with challah. So if that's not how they make it, then it must be that their belgian waffles are good. That's all she ever gets for breakfast: french toast or belgain waffles, so if she's going to rave, it'll be one of those. :raz: I'm not a huge fan of french toast so don't ask me. :biggrin: