• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Toast or Breakfast Hot 'n' Tasty

Anonymouze

Is there any places to get a good hot order of French Toast that is NOT fast-food, IHOP or a Diner? Must be in Bergen County preferably close to Westwood area. Delivery would be a plus, but highly doubtful.

NO, I don't want to make it - to someone in the wings who may add their two cents worth.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Is there any places to get a good hot order of French Toast that is NOT fast-food, IHOP or a Diner?  Must be in Bergen County preferably close to Westwood area.  Delivery would be a plus, but highly doubtful. 

NO, I don't want to make it - to someone in the wings who may add their two cents worth.

Years ago, there was a cool little restaurant in Oradell called The Giving Tree. Not only did they boast the World's Smallest Hot Fudge Sundae (basically a little ramekin with just enough sundae to hit the spot), but they also had a fabulous breakfast delivery service. They would drop off a hot breakfast complete with a rose and a newspaper, from what I remember.

Not really going to help you with your search, but it just popped into mind when you raised the question....

the Japanese place has been open for more than a year and they have no tables. This makes it impossible for them to have enough turnover to have quality sushi. They have been trying to get tables but even after 1 year they have no tables.

I think the best food place in Oradell is Schreiber's deli, though there's nowhere to sit once you get your hands on their kickin' Potato salad and a Smoked Russian on Rye.  An institution.

Sorry to disagree about Schreiber's. Salads are a gloppy mess in there. Pretty ordinary. MUCH better stuff in Aura Deli, a few blocks north. Or go to Spring Valley Road (Paramus/River Edge) to Ted's Deli, really good stuff. No French Toast, but great breakfast sandwiches. Or, Go to Picnic, just up the road in Emerson.

Dante's in River Edge does good business. Anyone been there?

Picnic's limited hours make it hard for many posters here to go.

How about Cornucopia in Oradell? Any comments on Sips D' Lite in Oradell as well.

How about  Cornucopia in Oradell? Any comments on Sips D' Lite in Oradell as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Dantes is mostly processed salads and standard Boar's Head meats. Prepared stuff very ordinary. (Beware of their tuna salad-- it's from a mass-produced pail-- celery is soggy, ugh!) If you are looking for a great Italian Deli, go to Jerry's in Englewood...

Cornucopia is something like Picnic, catering with deli as a side issue, but it's not quite as good as Picnic. Good soups.

Aura Deli--Oradell. Very good sandwiches and salads. Romaine Lettuce on all sandwiches-- a very good sign that this deli cares.

Schreiber's-- se my comments above.

Ted's Deli, Spring Valley Road. Above average deli. Standard stuff here.

Edited by menton1 (log)

Not particularly close to Westwood but MY HOUSE.

French toast made from brioche from Balthazar, egg, a holstein's worth of milk and butter and cinammon, topped with good maple syrup and more butter and thick cut bacon from the Swiss Pork Store on the side.

Stop by any holiday and it is what's on the table.

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me

How about  Cornucopia in Oradell? Any comments on Sips D' Lite in Oradell as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Dantes is mostly processed salads and standard Boar's Head meats. Prepared stuff very ordinary. (Beware of their tuna salad-- it's from a mass-produced pail-- celery is soggy, ugh!) If you are looking for a great Italian Deli, go to Jerry's in Englewood...

Cornucopia is something like Picnic, catering with deli as a side issue, but it's not quite as good as Picnic. Good soups.

Aura Deli--Oradell. Very good sandwiches and salads. Romaine Lettuce on all sandwiches-- a very good sign that this deli cares.

Schreiber's-- se my comments above.

Ted's Deli, Spring Valley Road. Above average deli. Standard stuff here.

Ouch! You wound me about Picnic's Hours! What are we supposed to do? We're there at 7:30 a.m. without fail. -- just call, we'll say hi and make you whatever...won't dare mention my smoked salmon eggs benedict! I wish I knew who you were, Bergen, cause I'd make you breakfast on the house just to make you smile...as we try do do for all.

Not particularly close to Westwood but MY HOUSE.

French toast made from brioche from Balthazar, egg, a holstein's worth of milk and butter and cinammon, topped with good maple syrup and more butter and thick cut bacon from the Swiss Pork Store on the side.

Stop by any holiday and it is what's on the table.

Ahhhh...when are we going to start a thread about the Pork Store. They are my favorite purveyor. I do bangers from them; kilbasa; liverwurst; veal loaf...and of course their hotdogs. Can't turn the Pascack Valley on to their goodness. Let's ponder this as a thread!

GENTLY nudging folks back to the TOPIC - please... or maybe does Picnic make/deliver French Toast in the morning with some bacon and bangers? :huh: I'd order that AND lunch to make it worth the trip. There's got to be a good restaurant type place that delivers some good breakfast food nearby. (no not online places either!)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

[What are we supposed to do? I wish I knew who you were, Bergen ]

some here had hoped for some dinners. You do not know me or many other possible Picnic customers because with a job out of your area there is no way for us to get to your place.

[What are we supposed to do? I wish I knew who you were, Bergen ]

some here had hoped for some dinners.  You do not know me or many other possible Picnic customers because with a job out of your area there is no way for us to get to your place.

you've been there twice.

We go to Dante's often when visting the in-laws in Bergenfield. They have great milky mozzerrella(sp) - and great almond cookies - My in-laws are true Italians and they love Dantes mozzerrella - I can't speak for the rest of the stuff since all we get is the mozz and the cookie.

Edited by Deldino (log)

Sorry, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to have french toast delivered, as it would be a soggy mess! Plus, it's just so easy to make--even if you don't 'cook' much...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

GENTLY nudging folks back to the TOPIC - please... or maybe does Picnic make/deliver French Toast in the morning with some bacon and bangers?   :huh:  I'd order that AND lunch to make it worth the trip.  There's got to be a good restaurant type place that delivers some good breakfast food nearby.  (no not online places either!)

Baumgart's Cafe in Englewood does a Sunday Brunch that serves french toast, I can't vouch for the breakfast food as I have not been there. Has anyone had breakfast there? Also Janice's Bistro in HoHoKus (is this too far?)

Edited by Deldino (log)

We go to Dante's often when visting the in-laws in Bergenfield.  They have great milky mozzerrella(sp) - and great almond cookies - My in-laws are true Italians and they love Dantes mozzerrella - I can't speak for the rest of the stuff since all we get is the mozz and the cookie.

Just my humble opinion, but one trip to Jerry's in Englewood would wean you off Dantes forever. About 30 notches up in quality, and actually lower pricing than Dantes!!! That's an unbeatable combination.

We go to Dante's often when visting the in-laws in Bergenfield.  They have great milky mozzerrella(sp) - and great almond cookies - My in-laws are true Italians and they love Dantes mozzerrella - I can't speak for the rest of the stuff since all we get is the mozz and the cookie.

Just my humble opinion, but one trip to Jerry's in Englewood would wean you off Dantes forever. About 30 notches up in quality, and actually lower pricing than Dantes!!! That's an unbeatable combination.

Thanks for the info - I will have to try Jerry's next time out -

I think the best food place in Oradell is Schreiber's deli, though there's nowhere to sit once you get your hands on their kickin' Potato salad and a Smoked Russian on Rye.  An institution.

Sorry to disagree about Schreiber's. Salads are a gloppy mess in there. Pretty ordinary. MUCH better stuff in Aura Deli, a few blocks north. Or go to Spring Valley Road (Paramus/River Edge) to Ted's Deli, really good stuff. No French Toast, but great breakfast sandwiches. Or, Go to Picnic, just up the road in Emerson.

Guess its just one of those personal preference things when it comes to mac & potato salad. The shaved potatos and the dressing are a favorite with many friends and relatives of mine. In fact, I have relatives who request I bring down the potato whenever I go. Aura Deli, though cute name, has yet to impress me. Ted's is the old standby for Komsas fries from long ago but again, ordinary salads, nothing special to keep us going back. Different strokes.

Guess its just one of those personal preference things when it comes to mac & potato salad.  The shaved potatos and the dressing are a favorite with many friends and relatives of mine.  In fact, I have relatives who request I bring down the potato whenever I go.  Aura Deli, though cute name, has yet to impress me.  Ted's is the old standby for Komsas fries from long ago but again, ordinary salads, nothing special to keep us going back.  Different strokes.

Absoluitely, personal preference. Just to clarify, I like Teds for sandwiches. Aura Deli has the great salads. Just a nice coating of dressing on the cole slaw and potato salad. Shreibers salads are literally swimming in a pool of dressing. Their tuna salad is about 80% mayonnaise.

Have you tried Aura Deli salads?