• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PA Dutch Farmers Market

Dutch Country Farmers Market

Flemington NJ

19 Commerce St

(908)806-8476

My parents and us took a trip to the Flemington Dutch Market this weekend.. My mother who often shops at Princeton Dutch Market, has heard many good things about this place.. I guess driving distances for food is in my blood.. My family doesnt give a second thought to driving an hour just to get an ice cream, or to caramel apple.. Delicious Orchard which is a half hour away was a regular weekly stop.. Despite the fact, while growing up, my town, East Brunswick, had a half a dozen Farm Stores..

Here there are separate vendors selling a wide variety of goods.. There is a Butcher, there is a BBQ Stand, A Baker, Dairy and Cheese, Produce, Ice Cream, Candy and Pretzel, Seafood, an All You Can Eat Restaurant, and a place to buy prepared foods.. All your grocery needs fulfilled under one roof..

gallery_15057_2681_214907.jpg

Homemade Preztels being hand done..

gallery_15057_2681_40288.jpg

Are there never is a short of preztels when it comes to the Dutch..

gallery_15057_2681_93485.jpg

gallery_15057_2681_45975.jpg

Xtra Dark Splits

gallery_15057_2681_4266.jpg

We stopped by to get cheese..

gallery_15057_2681_54044.jpg

Here they have larger variety of cheeses and butters.. I am very partial to the farmers and spicy cheeses.. I bought a Farmers and Jalalpeno/Cayenne Cheese..

gallery_15057_2681_32378.jpg

I was recently talking about these and how much I loved them as a kid.. I found them on the bottom shelf at the bakery.. Though mine had the icing and were covered in rainbow sprinkles, these were an ok version.. I asked if they have them with sprinkles and they told me they often do..

gallery_15057_2681_110985.jpg

Always fun to stop by the candy shelf..

gallery_15057_2681_77128.jpg

Unfortunately, it looks better then it is..

gallery_15057_2681_49240.jpg

Stopped by to look at the buffet.. It didnt look to appealing.. But I was there at the end of the day...

I wasnt too happy with the ice cream place either.. The sell Hershey Brand Ice Cream.. I expect homemade..

gallery_15057_2681_54044.jpg

I did notice a very usefull piece of information.. This might be a good time to visit here for the first time..

gallery_15057_2681_118198.jpg

I stopped by the deli case as they were cleaning it out for the day.. I quickly got a Garlic Ring Bologna and some Summer Sausage..

The ring bologna I like to eat with or with out a cracker, and put cheese and mustard I buy at the market..

gallery_15057_2681_96282.jpg

If you never had summer sausage, I would say its a must.. Its a highly seasoned mixture of parts I would say.. Dont get the sweet one, just the regular.. There are two exceptable ways of eating it..

1)Roll-Up

gallery_15057_2681_17532.jpg

2) Add cream cheese and roll

gallery_15057_2681_20481.jpg

3)Eat it

gallery_15057_2681_33410.jpg

The other exceptable way is to eat in a sandwich with butter white bread and homemade chips..

gallery_15057_2681_106241.jpg

We also took home a macaroni salad, chicken salad, carrot salad, and the star, which is the best version I have had.. A cauliflower and broccoli salad with bacon and cheese.. It was outrageous..

A must get:

gallery_15057_2681_17472.jpg

I really just gave a small and incomplete overview of what this place offers.. I prefer the Princeton Market to this.. But if you are closer to Flemington, I would go here.. Place is interesting and has good food..

Edited by Daniel (log)

19 Commerce St Flemington, NJ

I am sorry for not posting it upthread..

Edit to add:

Rlibkind,

I did not actually know that.. But it makes perfect sense.. Great chips and nothing goes to waste in typical P-Dutch Fashion..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Daniel, what you refer to as the Princeton market is actually in Kingston, NJ, part of Franklin Township, Somerset County. On tyhe other side of Route 27 is Kingston, part of south Brunswcik Township, Middlesex County. Princeton is south, across the canal, in Mercer County. The Del-raritan canal divides the three counties and municipalities. I'm a real estate agent, I get picky about locations, LOL! However, you are correct to refer to it as the Princeton Market, as every shopping center or housing development around here tries to capitalize on the Ivy League name! :shock:

You missed the best reason to go there -- the asian produce stand. I visit every friday, and I basically only go to the produce place for their great arugula, bok chok, chives and shallots. I bought popcorn at Beilers which didn't pop, and I find that most of the prices at this market are far higher than the Shoprite at the end of the driveway.

The vegetables I can get here in NY.. Its the ring bologna, the summer sausage, the homemade chips, the pies, the cheeses, and other things I wouldnt buy at shopright. Also the meat has to be a lot better.. But I will definately check out the vegetable guy next time. I actually just picked up some bok choy at my local Korean Market tonight..

Woah, pretzels … and that white cheese dust! Where have you been all my life?

Are these like éclairs? I've never heard of a long john before

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

More donut like than an eclair.. I would say this is a lardy donut with a really creamy icing.. :biggrin: I am now on a mission to make Long Johns.. If anyone has been to or has access to the Boyer's IGA in Orwigsburg PA and a time machine, please let me know.. I will also settle out of court for a great recipe..

Edited by Daniel (log)