• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question about aluminized steel bakeware

JaclynM

Hi,

I'm getting married in July and am planning out things I need for our kitchen. (This is my first post to the eGullet forums.) My fiance doesn't cook at all, so it's up to me to get our kitchen started and build up a repertoire of recipes. (I already do some cooking at home for my parents, so I'm partway there with the recipes.) In planning for the type of cookware/bakeware I want, I've come across so many options.

I'd prefer to stay away from non-stick items (I don't mind using a little extra elbow grease to clean it). I've heard good things about aluminum, but I've also seen several items that are made from "aluminized steel" such as Chicago Metallic Commercial Bakeware, and the "Tools of the Trade" bakeware line that's sold at Macy's. Can anyone tell me what aluminized steel is, and how it compares in performance/durability to plain aluminum?

Thanks. :)

-Jaclyn

I am not even going to try to answer your question as I am sure our experts will soon jump in and help you out. But I did want to say welcome since this is your first post. You'll love it here, I am sure.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hi JaclyM:

Idid a web search - Chicago Metallic Commercial Bakeware - looks like standard steel bakeware with an aluminum finish. Steel and aluminum have different bake times because of the conductivity and reflectivity of the metal and finish. If it’s a good heavy weight it will last a long time. Remember it will rust if left in water and does not clean up very well -- after a while looks well used. You should consider some of the new silicone bakeware, it’s showing up everywhere, its cheap and is very easy to use. Hope this helps.

Good luck and good baking.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

My opinion......for what it's worth.............

I really like my Chicago Metalic pans ALOT! I like their weight and how well they conduct heat, etc... Their only down fall is that in time (alot of abuse in a professional kitchen) the finish does get ruined/chipped. But "ruined" as in not perfect, but still fine to use. I've never had the surface get chipped where the food makes contact with the pan, only around the rim of the pans.

The silcone pans, aren't ideal for baking as your item won't crisp or brown in the pan. But then that's ideal for some baked goods.

For aluminum cake pans I like ones that are rarely sold in stores. The pans in stores are usually too thin and that effects baking and durablity (as in getting dents in the pan over years of abuse). You can get decent cake pans for the same price as the ones you get in stores, thru several sites on the internet. A site search on this topic should reveal several threads where we've listed sources/companies.

Sur La Table carries heavy duty aluminum cake pans made by Magic Line -- both solid and removeable bottoms. Also check your local restaurant supply stores for heavy duty aluminum pans from makers such as American Metalcraft. They come in two and three inch depths. I added some from both sources last year, and they are far more useful and durable than grocery store cake pans.

I got married last summer, and I'm figuring that you're limited to what is offered at Macy's and wherever else you're registering? So restaurant supply stuff is out. I registered for (and received) several pans from Chicago Metallic's Commercial line and I have been very happy with them. They are very sturdy - there is no chance those cookie sheets are going to warp. The cake pans have all been fine as well.

Congratulations and welcome!

Another Chicago fan here. I have Pyrex and Chicago in all the major sizes. And then some. You may never have to replace them.

Do not take a hot pan and put it in cold water -- it will warp. Allow the pan to cool, wash it, and then allow it to sit for a while in a warm oven. This will make sure no rust forms. Then let it cool before you put it away.

In restaurant supply stores you can get lovely 3" tall baking pans -- if you see these, pick up a couple of 7-inch ones. They're indespensible and hard to find.

On another baking discussion board, we went through the whole silicone question. Most people really didn't like it. Hard to get stuff out of the pans, the stuff doesn't brown right. Everyone kind of hated the new cupcake "papers" that are made of silicone.

I think you are smart for eschewing non-stick. I'm a bird owner, and we can't have non-stick, when overheated, the fumes are fatal to birds. Says something about the general safety of it to me.

Some more recommended pans: All Clad (get a pot with a steamer insert, indespensible), cast iron fry pan, Le Creuset dutch oven.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

I am currently registered at Kaufmann's (soon to become Macy's, who sells "Tools of the Trade" bakeware), Target, and Cooking.com (which sells Chicago Metallic). However, ordering from a restaurant supply company is still a possibility. I work for a company that sells uniforms and table linens to restaurants, and they are just starting to carry commercial cookware/bakeware from LibertyWare. LibertyWare sells heavy gauge aluminum cake pans and jellyroll pans (among other things), and my boss said that I could order some if I want.

I'm just curious about the difference between the materials, because in all the books/websites I've seen about cookware, they mention all different materials (cast iron, aluminum, copper, steel, etc.) but none of them mention "aluminized steel." I just want to make sure that I'm getting the best that I can get, and if aluminized steel is a better material than plain aluminum, I'd like to go with that.

(I admit that I've gotten a bit obsessive about planning out items for my kitchen - reading Consumer Reports, Cook's Illustrated, epinions.com - trying to find the "best" in every type of tool that I need. I know it's impossible to get the best in everything, but I just want to make sure I start out my new kitchen with high-quality tools that will do the job well and last for a while.)

-Jaclyn

Edited by JaclynM (log)