• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to get Knives Sharpened in Philly?

Gruzia

I live on the edges of west philly and have taken my knives to be sharpened to the kitchen kapers in King of Prussia, but thought they did a so-so job. i need my Mac santoku knife sharpened, though, and don't fully trust Kitchen Kapers. Anyone know of a good place to go in or around Philly?

I live on the edges of west philly and have taken my knives to be sharpened to the kitchen kapers in King of Prussia, but thought they did a so-so job.  i need my Mac santoku knife sharpened, though, and don't fully trust Kitchen Kapers.  Anyone know of a good place to go in or around Philly?

Do yourself a favor and look into sending them to Blair, the knife guy. I heard about him here on egullet (I think he is a member). Really easy and you can cut yourself just looking at them. Rapid turnaround time. I had gone to Fante's for while but it just didnt cut it. I tried to find local places but failed.

www.theknifeguy.com

Hope it helps.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

I get my knives sharpened at Della Polla's Supreme Edge Co out in Havertown. Very reasonable prices. I think 3 bucks for a chef's knife.

141 S Eagle Road, Havertown (610) 446-5793

They used to have a webpage. I looked for it but I can't find it for some reason. It's run by a couple out of their home. They only sharpen on TUesdays and Thursdays I think. Call to find out.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

I live on the edges of west philly and have taken my knives to be sharpened to the kitchen kapers in King of Prussia, but thought they did a so-so job.  i need my Mac santoku knife sharpened, though, and don't fully trust Kitchen Kapers.  Anyone know of a good place to go in or around Philly?

I'm not sure about the geography, but Dave Martell at D&R Sharpening is a true master of the craft. He's mobile and caters primarily to professional chefs and hair stylists, but you might give him a call to see if he can fix you up.

Don't forget that eGullet has a pretty good Knife Maintenance & Sharpening tutorial. It's worth looking into. But if you'd prefer not to do it yourself, I can definitely recommend D&R.

Take care,

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Another vote for D&R Sharpening, really passionate about his work.

Dave did an excellent job on one of my chipped Japanese debas a few months back. Probably one of the very few folks I would entrust with my Japanese knives.

Also had him sharpen a few of my german style knives at the same time

Edited by SG- (log)