• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ana Maria Island

Alida Gualtieri

Hi. A friend and I have rented a condo on Ana Maria Island for a week starting April 17th. Any recommendations for dining there or nearby? What about some great wine shops and fish markets etc-ie places where we can pick up some great produce and fresh fish to have at lunch.

Thx for your help

Alida

Alida - I'm slightly familiar with Anna Maria and, if you have done any research, you'll note that there's not much that one would consider unique with regards to dining options. Mostly very casual beachside pubs, serving sandwiches and other light fare at reasonable prices. Easy dining with nice views. If you want to notch it up a bit, I would definately recommend The Beach Bistro. It's my favorite place on the island. Another good pick would be Da Giorgio. Other than that, you really need to get in closer to Sarasota which, depending upon in-season traffic on Longboat Key, can be a real PITA.

Can't help you with the wine shops or fish markets. Close by, at the far north end of Longboat Key is Moore's Stone Crab restaurant. They have their own fleet of boats for capturing the stone crabs which you can have at the restaurant or purchase at retail to take home. They may catch other sea food for sale as well.

Having spent a couple of weeks in Anna Maria for the last 3 or 4 years I can safely say it is not a great area for locaal fresh seafood. On the mainland side of the Cortez bridge (between Bradenton Beach and Longboat Pass) are Bell's and Star seafood. Their selection is very spotty but it is worth a trip. I would second the recommendation for Beach Bistro as well as the Bistro at the corner of Pine in Anna Maria. It was owned by the same folks that own Beach Bistro. I have not been there in a year though. Harry's & PattiGeorges which are not far across the bridge at Longboat pass are 2 nice restaurants. As stated earlier Longboat Key, St. Armands Circle, and Sarasota are your best bets for dining. Wine shops are a tough call I don't remember a single one on Anna Maria Island.

Having spent a couple of weeks in Anna Maria for the last 3 or 4 years I can safely say it is not a great area for locaal fresh seafood.  On the mainland side of the Cortez bridge (between Bradenton Beach and Longboat Pass) are Bell's and Star seafood.  Their selection is very spotty but it is worth a trip.  I would second the recommendation for Beach Bistro as well as the Bistro at the corner of Pine in Anna Maria.  It was owned by the same folks that own Beach Bistro.  I have not been there in a year though.  Harry's & PattiGeorges which are not far across the bridge at Longboat pass are 2 nice restaurants.  As stated earlier Longboat Key, St. Armands Circle, and Sarasota are your best bets for dining.  Wine shops are a tough call I don't remember a single one on Anna Maria Island.

Thanks for the update!

Alida

Alida - I'm slightly familiar with Anna Maria and, if you have done any research, you'll note that there's not much that one would consider unique with regards to dining options. Mostly very casual beachside pubs, serving sandwiches and other light fare at reasonable prices. Easy dining with nice views. If you want to notch it up a bit, I would definately recommend The Beach Bistro. It's my favorite place on the island. Another good pick would be Da Giorgio. Other than that, you really need to get in closer to Sarasota which, depending upon in-season traffic on Longboat Key, can be a real PITA.

Can't help you with the wine shops or fish markets. Close by, at the far north end of Longboat Key is Moore's Stone Crab restaurant. They have their own fleet of boats for capturing the stone crabs which you can have at the restaurant or purchase at retail to take home. They may catch other sea food for sale as well.

Thx-will try Beach Bistro!

Alida