• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delicious Orchards

Has anyone ever been to a Delicious Orchards? Do any still exist?

These were common when I was growing up in New Jersey. My late stepfather used to get apple cider, cheese bread, cheese danish, and other specialty foods (a stunning apple pie and a good rendition of Key Lime pie sticks in my memory) at the branch near Spring Lake.

If there are any near NYC, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Remember, I don't have a car, so pls be kind. :smile:

Soba

As far as I know there's only one Delicious Orchards, and it's in Colts Neck along Route 34. I grew up near there and we used to go all the time. They've expanded a lot over the years; not only do they have an amazing produce department and a huge in-house bakery, but they have a meat & cheese counter, a chocolates counter, frozen foods, and gourmet items (grains, condiments, tea & coffee, etc.). Their Web site can be found here.

If you don't have a car or know someone who does, there isn't much shopping you can do. Their mail order business is limited to gift boxes, pies, and cider donuts.

Edited by Stephanie (log)

• 2 years later...

Delicious Orchards

36 State Route 34 S

Colts Neck, NJ 07722

(732) 462-1989

Google Local Profile

Directions

Mail Order Service

Hours: Tuesday through Sunday 10:00 - 6:00

Closed Monday

gallery_23805_2674_1198438.jpg

gallery_23805_2674_1164686.jpg

I made a run over to Delicious Orchards on Friday.

I've learned over the years not to use the cart because I tend to go on a food shopping orgy and buy so much produce it spoils before I use it. Now I just fill my arms with as much food as I can carry and I know it's time to leave when the bunches of plastic bags I'm clutching start slipping through my fingers and fall to the floor. They have some absolutely incredible citrus right now. The best I've found this season by far.

Unfortunately I was limited to these few pictures because my memory card is small.

gallery_23805_2674_560863.jpg

gallery_23805_2674_161867.jpg

gallery_23805_2674_667353.jpg

The Mandarins in the bags cost $4.99 and were soooo good. I basically carried the sack with me for two days and shared them with whomever I came across. I gobbled them by the handful, made mandarinade, and even took some to the bar for some manadarin vodka shots. I kept throwing the peels back in the bag and ended up with a big sack of mandarin scent. I think the smell of my car could cure a cold right now

gallery_23805_2674_130254.jpg

The Free Samples: These are the mandarins cut up.

gallery_23805_2674_211817.jpg

Some Grapefruit:

gallery_23805_2674_261739.jpg

Oranges:

gallery_23805_2674_900929.jpg

Sweet Limes:

gallery_23805_2674_751339.jpg

Edited by titmfatied (log)

Daniel:

The baked goods at Delicious Orchards are as good as ever.

They are without question, the best produce market in the state by a wide margin - indeed, I always see steady improvements. Their cheese selection is better than the top supermarkets too.

A truly remarkable store.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

I didn't get any pies as I picked up a chocolate cream cheese iced cake from Labonbonniere instead. I meant to take a picture of it, but the cake was inhaled before I had the chance. I'd guess those pies are exactly as you remember them. They had a tart apple pie that was piled four or five inches above the tin with apples and I adore the blueberry crumb pie there as well. If you love pie there's a little cafe in Scotch Plains/Fanwood that makes a killer apple. I think I'll be headed there Monday as I don't remember the name off the top of my head.

Let's not forget the hot mulled and chilled cider and the delicious cider donuts! YUM YUMMMMmm YUUUUmmmMMMMmmMMMMmmmm! :biggrin::laugh::wub::laugh::biggrin:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

North Jersey needs a place like that.

Actually I guess it doesn't, or one would already exist.

How far would you drive for a place like that? It's a 100-mile round trip for me. Out of the question.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

They also have a great selection of hot dogs.

Boy, did this information raise my eyebrows. And from what section of the orchard exactly do the hot dogs come from, oh guru of stuffed casings?

They have the best dogs in the state. Natural casings with a great snap. They are usually sold out early on weekends during the summer. The secret is out! :rolleyes:

They have the best dogs in the state. Natural casings with a great snap. They are usually sold out early on weekends during the summer. The secret is out!  :rolleyes:

I know ejebud's too polite to say so, but dem's fightin' words, bgut! Have you been to Amazing Hot Dog yet? If not, I'd hold off on that statement... :biggrin: Then again, I don't think the AHD dogs grow on trees, as they originate from Best's in Newark! :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Delicious Orchards carries hot dogs from Thumann's and Schaller & Weber, which make 2 of the best German style franks. They also carry Boar's Head beef dogs. But what makes them exceptional in my opinion, is that they also sell franks from Gaisers and Lutz's; 2 small, but high quality German butcher shops in Union. Gaiser's supplied the Galloping Hill Inn with their hot dogs up until 1988 when Galloping Hill took the recipe and had it made by Grote & Weigel of Conn., a larger company better equipped to produce a larger quantity of dogs in order to meet the high demand required by the GHI.

John the hot dog guy

They have the best dogs in the state. Natural casings with a great snap. They are usually sold out early on weekends during the summer. The secret is out!  :rolleyes:

I know ejebud's too polite to say so, but dem's fightin' words, bgut! Have you been to Amazing Hot Dog yet? If not, I'd hold off on that statement... :biggrin: Then again, I don't think the AHD dogs grow on trees, as they originate from Best's in Newark! :laugh:

No I haven't tried AHD. Its a little out of my way from Monmouth County, but I look forward to trying them when they re-open. BTW, I make the best dogs on my grill with these puppies from Delicious Orchards. No offense ejebud. :biggrin:

Years ago all I used to like is Gaiser's dogs but I haven't told anyone since I wanted it to be my little secret. There were Gaiser's all over NJ or so it seemed when I was young and they had the best hot-dogs. My 2nd most favorites are Nathans, Thumann's or Hebrew National used as "dirty water dogs".

My father loves the Chocolate Macaroons and the Coconut Custard Pie from Delicious Orchards.

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

No I haven't tried AHD. Its a little out of my way from Monmouth County, but I look forward to trying them when they re-open. BTW, I make the best dogs on my grill with these puppies from Delicious Orchards. No offense ejebud. :biggrin:

bgut1,

Which of the dogs do you buy from Delicious Orchards?

John the hot dog guy

Daniel:

The baked goods at Delicious Orchards are as good as ever.

The baked goods at Delicious Orchards are very good. The baked goods at Wemrock Orchards in Freehold are great! Try them out...

http://www.wemrockorchards.net/

All in all, Delicious Orchards typically has any ingredients the American homecook is seeking (fresh). However, the typical things you can purchase from a supermarket are at much better price in the supermarket.

:D

bgut1,

Which of the dogs do you buy from Delicious Orchards?

I believe they are the grill franks they keep in the meat case between the cold cuts and the prepared foods. I will check on the name when I go back.

Edited by bgut1 (log)

I checked them out the other day, and they were referred to as "Spicy Hotdogs." They were located next to the "Hotdogs"

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Years ago all I used to like is Gaiser's dogs but I haven't told anyone since I wanted it to be my little secret.  There were Gaiser's all over NJ or so it seemed when I was young and they had the best hot-dogs.  My 2nd most favorites are Nathans, Thumann's or Hebrew National used as "dirty water dogs".

My father loves the Chocolate Macaroons and the Coconut Custard Pie from Delicious Orchards.

Your dad is a very wise man!

Those are my favorites too :raz: