• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best ways to smuggle Cuban rum into the US

Alchemist

given some of the fares I've seen between NYC and Paris, you may have a good arbitrage opportunity provided you've got sturdy luggage. Also pack wine and declare it all as wine - I bring over all sorts of funky booze (though none yet cuban) and even when sent to the ag line for inspection - twice now - never once a problem, nor any close inspection, nor even asked to pay duty. honestly they are more interested in agricultural hazards...and you really do see alot of that when you get sent over to the ag line.

while packing the cuban rum, don't ignore the cuban coffee.

Have you checked what's for sale in Canada?

I know that my old boss at Chez Henri would organinze "educational" trips, which seem to be legal. They would go over for the purpose of "studying" the food and drink of Cuba. Because the trip was legal in nature, they were fast tracked through customs. We always used to have Havana Club rum at the restaurant, displayed it even.

Ahhhh, A Rum n Coke Drinker, Join The Dark Side. :cool:

I have never had a problem Smugling too many Bottles of Rum into the USA.

I do like the Wine Idea though, just in case. If you do get caught, blame it on the wife. :biggrin: What's the worse that can happen ?

-------------------------------------Freedom is Not Free-----------------------------------------

----------------------- Blues Bruthas & Sistahs Stealth Society (BBSSS) -----------------------

Love my S2K, Just Point & GO, But watch out for Da BEARS and keep her rubber side down!

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a noise ?????

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Founder and Member #001-03-06-06