• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strawberries

Soup

my mom's birthday was 17 June.  On the East end of Long Island it was stawberry time.  For the family celebration we always went and picked them at Tuttle's then brought them home, hulled and processed them ... some for shortcake, some for jam.

We always made an angel food cake for Aunt Honey then the biscuits from the Bisquick box with no sugar added.  Chopped strawberries macerated with some sugar.  No topping.

I just ate strawberries.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We didn't grow up with a strawberry shortcake tradition; it was only as a pastry chef that I started making them.  I first used the recipe in Maida Heatter's dessert book, which was a true "short cake" - like a shortbread almost and I was told *that* wasn't shortcake.  Now I get asked to make "powder drop biscuits" or I make my friend Wendy's sweet biscuits and bake them in rings so they rise straight (which  makes them easier to split.  Without the rings, they tend to lean, and that uneven-ness makes them hard to cut).

I had never tasted Cool Whip until I married.  I'm not a fan but I am a good wife so I buy it from time to time.

• Haha 1

@Kim Shook 's shortcake recipe. My largest scoop is only 1/8 cup, so that was the size of the biscuit. The strawberries were cut and doused with honey which made them weep, so there's plenty of juice. No whipped cream because I used it all in the biscuits.

Strawberry bowls and biscuits were delivered to some neighbours with the biscuits still warm.

DH and I had to share a biscuit . . . to see if it was done, of course!

IMG_2311Signal.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

I've been through all but one serving of the two quarts I macerated. Finished off one of the pound cakes. The other quart is in the fridge, and Child A has been dredging them in sour cream and then dipping in brown sugar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

13 minutes ago, TdeV said:

No more strawberries at the farmers' market! I'm outraged!

I was soooo looking forward to making this again. 🙁

Wow seems too early. Labor supply issue maybe?

• Like 1

Just now, TdeV said:

Thank goodness for that, Heidi. One can hope . . .

Just because I have an evil streak I will take pics if I make it to FM tomorrow. I have to say last week they were good but smaller than usual.The unusual rains we had really messed with the fields. 

This image is 2019 but we had the same muck this year with the topper of CV19

California strawberry growers lose millions of berries to recent ...

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I made something yummy: strawberry milk. The recipe is from Smitten Kitchen minimally adapted from Gabrielle Hamilton. 

It's just a pound of berries macerated with a half cup of granulated sugar for a couple of hours. Then blend well the strawbs and juice. Mix with 3 cups of whole milk and 1 cup of buttermilk, and get it really cold. I put it in two mason jars, and it made about 7 cups. A great way to use up berries that are very ripe or blemished. My husband had it for breakfast this morning and loved it. 

I was never a fan of strawberry ice cream or strawberry shakes, but this is just perfect. It thickens up, like halfway to a milkshake and ends up tasting richer than you would expect. And yet, it's just milk! Preamble as always fun to read. As usual, the things that GH probably concocted out of her pantry as a teenager end up being more than the sum of their parts.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/06/strawberry-milk/

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2020 at 11:25 PM, Katie Meadow said:

Yesterday I made something yummy: strawberry milk. The recipe is from Smitten Kitchen minimally adapted from Gabrielle Hamilton. 

It's just a pound of berries macerated with a half cup of granulated sugar for a couple of hours. Then blend well the strawbs and juice. Mix with 3 cups of whole milk and 1 cup of buttermilk, and get it really cold. I put it in two mason jars, and it made about 7 cups. A great way to use up berries that are very ripe or blemished. My husband had it for breakfast this morning and loved it. 

I was never a fan of strawberry ice cream or strawberry shakes, but this is just perfect. It thickens up, like halfway to a milkshake and ends up tasting richer than you would expect. And yet, it's just milk! Preamble as always fun to read. As usual, the things that GH probably concocted out of her pantry as a teenager end up being more than the sum of their parts.

https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/06/strawberry-milk/

I love fruit milks, I had thin milk based shakes many times but only really "discovered" their potential in Taiwan. Amazing papaya milk, melon milk, weird but memorable orange milk, and also strawberry milk. And for some reason asparagus juice...

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

@shain, please say more about these milks.

My understanding is that east Asian countries have a different approach to milk drinking than the West. Perhaps originating from it once being a novel ingredient. In Taiwan, flavored milks are available bottled in any convenience store, and are made fresh in any night market. And let's not get into milk and bubble teas. I saw many fruit milks there, from bananas (the only fruit flavored milk I've seen here in Israel) to bitter gourds. My favorite was a freshly juiced ripe papaya with just milk added, it was creamy, refreshing and tropical tasting but delicate enough to not overtake the milk (I'm a milk lover, tough I don't usually drink it). I had a few interesting ones from 7-11 - melon milk, orange milk, mixed fruit milk (it tasted familiar, but it took me a long time to figure that it tastes like Trix cereal, which I haven't had in years). Many I haven't tried: apple milk, mango, mung bean milk (note to self that I should try and make anko milk).

I guess the bottom line is that I should try mixing juices and milk 👨‍🔬

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

• 1 month later...

I had some compressed strawberries in the freezer and needed a dessert.  I am not the biggest shortcake fan in the world, the biscuity base and the pound cake base never excite me.   I noticed Mary Berry has a easier sponge cake version, so I made the roulade version of that cake.  The cake was about 1/2 inch thin, so I could make a double decker version of shortcake.  Worked out really well.  I like the sponge base because it's not too rich and lets the fruit stay the primary flavor.

• Like 1